Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just saying HI and a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saying HI and a few questions.

First off I want to say HI to everyone!

Second I'm new to this forum but not new to forums or Toyota's, as I have had a 94 pick up for about 7 years and I love it, it has never let me down.

I just got a 4Runner for my girl to teach her to drive and give her a good 4x4 for snow and bad weather. I got a very good deal on it, it's a 4Runner sr5 3.0 v6 and I started by giving it a full tune up.

I have also done the following so far:
New rotors because of a pad that failed and the rotor was down to the cooling fins on one side
rebuilt the front calipers
replaced all 4 CV boots
new transmission filter
new differential and transfer case oil
fuel filter
oil filter
plugs wires cap rotor
drained and replaced brake fluid
power steering fluid

So, other then just saying hi, I would like to know what are some of the other things I need to do, and are there any problematic areas on the 4runner?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Blue
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 PM

i dont know much about the 4runners...but welcome to the site. GREAT info all over
Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 PM

I would also replace your coolant. You should have seen my head on my pickup when I bought it. It had electrolysis all over just breaking it down which led to a head gasket issue.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 PM

Hey, welcome, nice to see people who take good care of the rigs they own. I would second flushing the coolant, coolant carries a voltage and when it gets too old the voltage can increase making it eat away at the valvetrain. Also i would flush the power steering and refill it
Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello there...welcome.

Hmmm...I'd check with a dealership on the VIN and see if the headgasket was replaced under the recall. Then, a compression test just to see where things are at. That's really the only "problematic" area specific to the 3vze/3.0. But, if you've changed all the fluids and brake stuff and it's running good.....leave it alone and drive it. If something turns up, take care of it then.

Oh...I would run some injector cleaner through it and inspect and grease the driveline.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM

Electrolysis...

One failure mode associated with dirty coolant is known as electrolysis. Electrolysis occurs when stray electrical current routes itself through the engine coolant. The electricity is attempting to find the shortest path, and impurities in the coolant often generate a path of least resistance that the electricity travels across. The source of this stray electricity is often from electrical engine accessories which have not been properly grounded. A missing engine or transmission ground strap can also cause the coolant to become electrified. Sometimes the path of least resistance becomes a radiator, a heater hose, or even the heater core. These components are often well grounded, and offer a ground path from the engine to the chassis by means of the semi-conductive path of the coolant.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 PM

welcome to the club. there a good learner car i just got my lerners and going for a drive to night. just make sure you tell her not to be a girl racer and speed arround the corners very bad things will happen
Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tylercs
I would also replace your coolant. You should have seen my head on my pickup when I bought it. It had electrolysis all over just breaking it down which led to a head gasket issue.
Originally Posted by apalmer1
Hey, welcome, nice to see people who take good care of the rigs they own. I would second flushing the coolant, coolant carries a voltage and when it gets too old the voltage can increase making it eat away at the valvetrain. Also i would flush the power steering and refill it
LOL, I knew I was forgetting something else that I was going to do. I'm not sure of the condition of the radiator because there is gunk on the top where the hose is and some on the bottom where the transmission cooler is. So, after I get all of the rest done I'm going to drive it a bit to see how the radiator is and see if I need to fix or replace it. After I got it I drove it about a block to get it on the trailer because the brakes did not work and when I got it home I found the bad rotor and discovered that there was no brake fluid in the reservoir.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 88-surf
welcome to the club. there a good learner car i just got my lerners and going for a drive to night. just make sure you tell her not to be a girl racer and speed arround the corners very bad things will happen
we have a turbo2 rx7 for that
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by bluemunkey1820
we have a turbo2 rx7 for that
that will do
Old 11-01-2007, 05:10 PM

ok so almost done just waiting on the caliper rebid kit to arrive

so here are some pix

this is the gunk i was taking about

calipers waiting on kit

a alarm that was installed will have to remove as I did not get remotes and they used vampire clips

bad pic sorry

Last edited by bluemunkey1820; 11-04-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are all confused over electrolosys.

it happens with 2 different metals in an electrolyte. they have to be electrically connected to each other in order for it to happen. the aluminum gives up electrons, and will eventually just fall apart.

when you're talking about stray current going through the coolant thats known as stray current corrosion. they're two different things.

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 11-01-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
you guys are all confused over electrolosys.

it happens with 2 different metals in an electrolyte. they have to be electrically connected to each other in order for it to happen. the aluminum gives up electrons, and will eventually just fall apart.

when you're talking about stray current going through the coolant thats known as stray current corrosion. they're two different things.
Tell that to these guys. It's where I took the excerpt from.
http://www.drivewerks.com/Newsletter/vol-7.htm
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM

Nice, enjoy it!
Oh, and welcome!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM

update

Now for a big one, I have also replaced the timing belt, both idlers, the water pump, and the thermostat. I fixed the electric windows because one did not go up and down (did a nice write up for it and pm'ed it to Cory so he will get it up in the tech section soon). I also got the radiator repaired, lots of new vac lines and only managed to mix up two of them, too bad it was a fuel return line and a vac line so after I got it un-flooded it ran fine, LOL. Now all I have left to do is bleed the brakes and get it registered, no smog though because my mom lives in a no smog county.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Man you've been going to town on that Runner. Sounds great. Welcome to the Forum.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice clean 4Runner! i've got the same gunk on my Rad. but it has had n effect on anything, its just on the surface and not spreading
Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 AM

preventive maintenance....looks like you've covered everything. might want to check/change the diff fluids if there's a chance they've been submerged.

sounds like it's going to last a long time as long as you watch the temp gauge.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 87TurboYota
Man you've been going to town on that Runner. Sounds great. Welcome to the Forum.
Yep,been fun getting to know her.

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
nice clean 4Runner! i've got the same gunk on my Rad. but it has had n effect on anything, its just on the surface and not spreading
Its gone now I had the rad boiled out. the bottom end tank and the in and outlets re-soldered.

Originally Posted by NaeSLaS
preventive maintenance....looks like you've covered everything. might want to check/change the diff fluids if there's a chance they've been submerged.

sounds like it's going to last a long time as long as you watch the temp gauge.
That was one of the first things I did.