Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
black!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Any ideas on the "Top Color" thing I threw out there? Sorry, again, for my 'Paint' skills, lol...but it shows a pretty good idea of the difference between black and light-desert brown.
Red. Sorry, I just like the original. Any ideas for shining it up? I'd be careful about a red re-paint. Seems like red can be hard to match.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Red. Sorry, I just like the original. Any ideas for shining it up? I'd be careful about a red re-paint. Seems like red can be hard to match.
That's a good point - I've never seen somebody match a red exactly and in the right light it can look pretty fugly.

Fink
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Red or shine.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to try and shine it up, first! I've always thought it looked great, red, WHEN, of course, the top is 'SHINED', hahaha. I think it's just beyond that, but I'll try. The red I used on the block was "Ford Red" engine paint....and as you can see from the pics of the engine, ...it matched up pretty well. However, YES, even the slightest "higher amount of blue or yellow in the red, ...and it's 'fugly', as Fink said, hahaha.

I've rubbed out a corner with just a couple seconds of the 5" polisher, ...and it came out pretty well. Just have to spend some time on it, because with the 'few seconds' it came out spotty(due to the texture of the paint on the shells-dimply, hahaha).

I'll try to buff it out and take some pics.

Until then, I REALLY need to figure out the tick(troubleshooting thread in yellow, below, in sig)....and also maybe get the front up a 1/2" or 1" and new shocks(mine are original). It doesn't 'boing boing' bounce, like B&B mentioned...just a bit clunky on the bumps, etc. I'm going to go through the bushings and Control arms, etc., ....could just be a bunch of worn out bushings, eh?

THANKS, guys.....

Personally, I really like the Tan. But I'll stick with what I have for now, ....don't need 'MORE PROJECTS' that will keep me from getting out to the woods, even longer!!! hahaha. Guy around here has a Red with Tan top, ...CANVAS, ...realllllllly nice!

Thanks again, off to make Scallops Champignon!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
try a magic eraser on a little section, then throw a little wax on there and see how it does. You might be surprised.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM

chef - nice mod, looks great! love the pics and write up. thinkin about oin this one myself, but i'm waiting to see how she sits after I get the shocks and leafs back in. and that breakfast looked bangin, too. you make the bread yourself? I'm a chef too, when I'm not busy being a student, lol. and good luck with the engine thing, i've been turning gears, but I can't think of anything you haven't already... it looks beautiful, tho. I hope mine looks that good someday!!! and for the top, stick with red, or go black. just an opinion
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks, Kiyo....I hadn't thought of that. Does the Magic Thingy remove oxidization?...Is that why you suggested it?

Btw, like I'd said, earlier, ....I really don't want black, because I do so much camping in Kern River, Inyo County, ..... Big Rock Creek, Angeles Crest Nat. Forest, ..... Olancha-Owens Dry Lake/Dunes, .....all of which are usually from between 90 to 110*(YES, always near COLD running water! hahaha). Just too many 'hot' locations for a black top, ya know? Makes Ice melt faster, ....as well as my face! lol.

I had a white top from "Blanca", the totaled one I've posted many times.... I used it a couple trips and it made a big difference, EVEN from the Red, pertaining to absorbing heat. I guess that's why I thought 'Tan' if I paint it, something close to the gold but without the metallic, of course, lol.

PS> DANGGGGGGGGGGGGGG those U-6 scallops were INTENSELY GOOD~!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by khat toy
chef - nice mod, looks great! love the pics and write up. thinkin about oin this one myself, but i'm waiting to see how she sits after I get the shocks and leafs back in. and that breakfast looked bangin, too. you make the bread yourself? I'm a chef too, when I'm not busy being a student, lol. and good luck with the engine thing, i've been turning gears, but I can't think of anything you haven't already... it looks beautiful, tho. I hope mine looks that good someday!!! and for the top, stick with red, or go black. just an opinion
Thanks, Khat,

I'm sure you'll get it as nice as you put your mind to. Thanks for the compliments. I've tried to figure this out, but I'm telling you......it's a doozie. Even the Dealership sent it home a while back(That was, of course, before the replacement AFM and ECU. He's asking for another chance, haha).

I expounded on the 'color choice' for the top, while you were posting that, lol. I LOVE the look of black, and with some black rims? Yep, it would look great! Just TOO HOT, lol. I'm more 'practical' than I used to be, ... Heck, I'd probably have painted it before I'd done all that engine/other work, back a few years ago, hehe.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 PM

yea, black is mad hot (i kno!), but that tan/beige (love the mspaint job, btw) just looks odd on that thing. I'm trying to decide what color to paint mine after i do all the body work. I'm leaning toward camo, but the other half says it'll be a cold day in hell before he'll be seen rollin in a camo ride. and it would be hot, still, too. idk. suggestions?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM

yes they do, chef. They clean up about anything. Pitting on rims, scuffs on paint, I had a little mold/mildew action on the top when I bought mine that the pressure washer couldn't get off and the magic eraser took it off no prob. Those things are money for detailing.

But wait...... There's more!!!!!! LOL
Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Hey Khat, ..

I saw one the other day that was a medium metallic olive green, ....THING WAS PIMP! lol. Kinda like an Army Green in metallic.

My favorite is the Toyota Silver and Royal Metallic Blue, ....and I even love the Cobalt Blue as well. My neighbor long ago had a CHERRY, Midnight Metallic Blue, VERY NICE, and another friend I had sported a Metallic Silver Blue(another one of my fav's). Here's where I go to check out colors, etc...........

http://www.google.com/images?client=...ed=0CCYQsAQwAA

And here's a few examples of what I find there, ...........

https://www.yotatech.com/attachments...-after-008.jpg

http://www.ratemyride.com/uploads/1078.jpg

http://www.yankeetoys.org/87turbo/Images/4runner4.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/p...ertires002.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/matthewlawson/4runner-PMI.gif

This is the silver-blue I was talking about....looks GREAT with Outlaw 2's, like my friends was!
http://jaw.iinet.net.au/cars/4runner/hiluxwakner.jpg

This one is the green I saw, on a 1st Gen, ...IT WAS REALLY NICE!>>>>
http://images.dealerrevs.com/pictures/17275950.jpg

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-12-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
yes they do, chef. They clean up about anything. Pitting on rims, scuffs on paint, I had a little mold/mildew action on the top when I bought mine that the pressure washer couldn't get off and the magic eraser took it off no prob. Those things are money for detailing.

But wait...... There's more!!!!!! LOL
Thanks Kiyo,

I'm picking some up today!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Good write up and pics. Just did mine a few weeks ago after lots of research and inspiring posts by Zuk, Philbert, and some others about the mod.

From this....

To this....

With the Black Magic 14"/100# springs, I'm happy I went with the longer ones. After I install the BJ spacers up front, it should ride perfectly level with the top on and just a bit of rake without it. We bought new 32's but it would easily fit 33's if a guy wanted them. Mainly the ride is as good as I could have ever expected, except for the need for new shocks.

After reading about this mod it was an absolute no brainer to me considering the price of a new leaf spring pack and how great these coils ride. I highly recommend it to anyone considering fixing sag that an add-a-leaf will not.

Sweet looking plate too!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JC III did you learn anything about those Bilstein part #s from your thread?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the links chef!!! I'll prob go with some sort of green, it's always been my favorite color. did you figure out what that clinking noise is yet? I'm curious to know what potential probs I may run into with the mod... I've already had drivetrain issues.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by kiyobrown
try a magic eraser on a little section, then throw a little wax on there and see how it does. You might be surprised.

KIYO...what about hamburgers? I heard hamburgers can produce a nice shine too.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by khat toy
Thanks for the links chef!!! I'll prob go with some sort of green, it's always been my favorite color. did you figure out what that clinking noise is yet? I'm curious to know what potential probs I may run into with the mod... I've already had drivetrain issues.
No, and it's VERY slight. I've got 260K on this drivetrain, ....NOTHING new but the Idler Arm and flush and filled everything, lube everything according to FSM(especially off road), ....and so, it could just be, like I said, a U-joint that's got a lil more bend on it now? It's nothing that I'm really concerned with at the moment. In fact, I'd drive it to AZ, right now, no worries at all(aside from the lil miss, hahaha, ...but I have a feeling that's minor, just can't seem to find it yet, lol). I've read SO MANY people doing it, with no problems, Khat..... I wouldn't worry about it damaging anything, and in fact, I don't actually KNOW that it's a U-joint yet. The springs, btw, make almost NO NOISE, ever, ...only time is if I REALLY extend them on a driveway at an angle or something, then come down on them fast, etc., ....but I would bet that NO ONE riding in the passenger would even notice is, like i do, hhaha. So many times, I"ve had 'lil noises', ...THEY DRIVE ME NUTS! lol.... Well, most often, people are like ,"nope, don't hear it, ...I think you're nuts or paranoid!" hahaha.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
I could just pour peanut oil all over it, eh? hahahaha. NOW THAT WOULD SHINE!

Actually, those things ARE amazing, ...but I've not had a chance to try it out(got a couple today just to try it before I buy an 8 pack or something, ahhaa.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JC III
Good write up and pics. Just did mine a few weeks ago after lots of research and inspiring posts by Zuk, Philbert, and some others about the mod.

From this....

To this....

With the Black Magic 14"/100# springs, I'm happy I went with the longer ones. After I install the BJ spacers up front, it should ride perfectly level with the top on and just a bit of rake without it. We bought new 32's but it would easily fit 33's if a guy wanted them. Mainly the ride is as good as I could have ever expected, except for the need for new shocks.

After reading about this mod it was an absolute no brainer to me considering the price of a new leaf spring pack and how great these coils ride. I highly recommend it to anyone considering fixing sag that an add-a-leaf will not.

Sweet looking plate too!
Thanks!

BTW, it's strange......I think you had more sag than me, because my 'rake' is almost exactly the same as yours, and I went with the 12"x125#, per Zuk and others' advice. My top is on, and with 300# in it the other day, COULDN'T TELL ANY difference. So, when I go camping, with about 500# in there, ....I'll probably finally see it level out, and even if it's down an inch or so, ....I KNOW these 125#'ers will handle the weight. My friend and I were jumping up and down on the bumper, ....it REALLY is nice and firm without bouncing, etc.! STILL LOVIN THEM!

Looks great, JC!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY

I think it only works for MR2s. But not really, seeing as he still hasn't sold it yet. Although when I used to have my Black '88 4Runner, I used to hit up the top with pledge to bring out the shine. worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...