86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
No, and it's VERY slight. I've got 260K on this drivetrain, ....NOTHING new but the Idler Arm and flush and filled everything, lube everything according to FSM(especially off road), ....and so, it could just be, like I said, a U-joint that's got a lil more bend on it now? It's nothing that I'm really concerned with at the moment. In fact, I'd drive it to AZ, right now, no worries at all(aside from the lil miss, hahaha, ...but I have a feeling that's minor, just can't seem to find it yet, lol). I've read SO MANY people doing it, with no problems, Khat..... I wouldn't worry about it damaging anything, and in fact, I don't actually KNOW that it's a U-joint yet. The springs, btw, make almost NO NOISE, ever, ...only time is if I REALLY extend them on a driveway at an angle or something, then come down on them fast, etc., ....but I would bet that NO ONE riding in the passenger would even notice is, like i do, hhaha. So many times, I"ve had 'lil noises', ...THEY DRIVE ME NUTS! lol.... Well, most often, people are like ,"nope, don't hear it, ...I think you're nuts or paranoid!" hahaha.
At least I know I'm not the only one!!! I kno every little noise my truck makes, and notice immediately when there's a new one. I'm never satisfied until I find it...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by khat toy
At least I know I'm not the only one!!! I kno every little noise my truck makes, and notice immediately when there's a new one. I'm never satisfied until I find it...
Nope, you're not....and remember, YOU WONT find some of them, no matter how hard you look,...unless you have a second set of ears, or they're driving, you're leaning over the rear wheel well almost to the tire while they go over a few bumps,.....then 'HA HAAAAAA, I FOUND IT!', HAHAHA. Actually, yes, I've done that. One time, leaving the mountains to come home, I hit the section of gravel on the last mile of the 'deep in trek', ......when I pulled in the gas station, pumped up, and was on my way, ....."SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH, EEECH, EECH, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH", ...EAR PIERCING LOUD, and had no idea that the brakes had warning plates in them at the time, hahaha. The brakes were fine, ....the piece of gravel that some how made it's way in between the plate and pad?....NOT SO MUCH! hehehe.

Another time, I drove 80 miles up the 395Hwy, heading to Mammoth, and couldn't figure out where this "squeak, squeak, squeak", every few seconds or so, was coming from! GRRRR, lol. Well, I lifted my arm to mess with the seat top, ....and it was my arm on the loose console door, causing it to squeak due to extra pressure and some loosey goosey screws and such! hahaha.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 PM

I also had a rattle in my engine bay,....COULD NOT FIND IT! Well, it turned that, I couldn't find it because I could only hear it at high speeds over rough roads, etc. . When rebuilding my engine, 160THOUSAND MILES, LATER, ......I found a 14MM deep socket, wedged in the engine side of the motor mount. I tapped it and it "tink tinked" JUST LIKE that noise did, ....and it's not come back, since! hahaha.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Chef Nice MOD! I've been looking at picking up a 4$runner but in Ohio slim pickings on ones that mostly look like a cheese grater! I hate the sag thou, I might have to fly out west and drive one back to find a solid one. I do have a quick question, after you replaced your ECU did your temp gauge start working? I noticed in the videos it would come on and then cut out right as the engine started stalling out, just curious if that was a separate issue, otherwise your engine was a sweet build looks really nice. I'm motivated to buy a "fixer-upper" have my eye on a 4x4 on craigslist its not the ext cab that I want but the price is right, or could be right, we'll see, wife might try and take it after I fix it though, we each have a 2wd.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Hey Angry,

Thanks! I'm really liking it, and it's already getting more compliments than it already did, since lifting up the SAGACHUAYAH! lol.

There are rare instances where you can find a clean, rust free, dent free, reasonable miles 1st Gen Rig back east.......but GOOD LUCK getting the guy to sell it, hahaha.

AZ or CA is the way to go, and they're WAY more often for sale out here, due to there being more of them, I'd suppose?

If you fly out, having already had a reputable inspection garage looked it over for 300$ or so, COMPLETELY, ....then I'd say "it's worth the trip, NO DOUBT!" My best friend lives in Oregon, and there are many up there, ...even for sale on occasion, due to ONE OF THE WORST unemployment ratios in the country. However, he's already come down here, twice, looking at and then finally picking up what he wanted, "84-85 Long Bed Straight axle 4x4 with EFI"........GOOD LUCK ON THAT ONE, lol. Took him 2 YEARS to find one worth coming down for. Howeverrrrrrrrr, ....4Runners, seem to be even more rare, this Generation.

I'm thinking about this, one, right here, ..............

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...wphototab=true

However, you might be closer to this one..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...item27b35442f7

Xtra Cab 1st Gens seem to be pretty hard to come by as well. Here's one in VA, ....and this site is pretty decent for finding trucks. Seem to be more on here than Ebay, ....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 AM

Chef, Thanks, I need a 4x4, winters here, although typically not too bad, I'm on a hill outside the city limits, we are lucky to get ash and pea-gravel when the roads are bad, let alone salt and there were a few times last year that we really were inconvenienced by the weather.

My 83 long bed does ok, (with 200lbs of sand in the back) but I need better and my poor frame has seen it's better days, without some work, I think I better hibernate it this year, I'm actually a little scared to even haul anything right now, it's so bad, but it runs way too nice (135k original). Bed is shot, so maybe if I pull it for a flatbed this summer I'll box in the frame.

I found a 91 short bed (4x4) down the road and if I can talk him down to $500 (bad motor) I might pull the 22reeker out and rebuild it. Can't say it will look as nice as yours... but I'll take plenty of picks and keep the yotatech guys up to date as I muddle through it.

Have a great day, made a cheesecake for a guy who is retiring, gotta put the finishing touches on it before I head out (caramel and nuts).
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM

'BEHIND YA, CHEF', hahaha. Nice, ...I've won several competitions with my Cheesecake(even beat Ruth's Chris and Puck in Scottsdale....Pucks food SUCKS, lol). I bet the guy will love it, and what better RICH ARSE dessert to go out with, eh? hahaha. Maybe Creme Brulee, ..I know, but still, I LOVE Cheesecake, ....to this day, one of my simple fav's(to make and eat!) hahaha.

I hear ya on the weather. I was in Spokane, WA for 2 years, bad ones at that, lol. Beautiful country, but very unforgiving in the woods and with 12' snow by the lake! hahaha.

500 seems 'ok' with a blown motor. I bet you can rebuild it for around 900$, no problem! Then you'd have a NICE and CAPABLE rig for next winter, eh? Might have to eat it a bit on entertainment, etc., rest of the summer/fall, ...but SO WHAT, ..you'll not suffer as bad through the Winter, RIGHT? LOL.

Wish you the best on the purchase, Angry!

Mark
Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM

Thanks Chef!! mmm cheesecake

Thanks Chef,

12' of snow would bury us! 4wd or not that would certainly put a hurtin' on us!

As it turns out, this gentleman that was receiving the cheesecake was a VP at the small community college that I teach at, we had been on a few committee's together and went to a conference together, I had promised him at dinner one night that I would make him one, so he reminded me of it and since his time was short I better get on it.

Roy retired (for the 2nd time) Friday, so I dropped this cheesecake off at his house, on the way to work today, as I pull up I see a 1994 SR5 4wd ext cab with the 3.slo engine sitting in the driveway, his son drove it back from Cali last year and he bought it off him so he could have a down payment on a new one, he was thinking of selling it but right now the exchange student they have is driving it, anyway he says that I can have it in the fall when the student goes back, for $1k only has 125k miles on it!

Guess he will get another cheesecake! I take about three a year into the ladies at my bank, they all love me, I have never used my I.D. there, they all know "the cheesecake guy" not sure it boosts my credit score......but can't hurt!!Just did a Zuk Mod...-cheesecake.jpg
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 PM

if you get the bj spacers dont get pro comp shocks...they suck. and as far as bj spacers go...i really like mine, like you im not a hard core rock crawler just a kid trying to hit trails and have fun. but...every weekend i am either out thrashing trails or up north finding hunting or fishing or camping spots and i have zero complaints and zero issues since march. if your thinking of getting them for a look/minor potential improvement get them. but like said above its not a night and day difference. mine went from stock to 2 inch "lift" nd a locker pretty much over night so i was obv seeing a big difference. btw your runner is super clean. i love it
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by angrydogtattoo
Thanks Chef,

12' of snow would bury us! 4wd or not that would certainly put a hurtin' on us!

As it turns out, this gentleman that was receiving the cheesecake was a VP at the small community college that I teach at, we had been on a few committee's together and went to a conference together, I had promised him at dinner one night that I would make him one, so he reminded me of it and since his time was short I better get on it.

Roy retired (for the 2nd time) Friday, so I dropped this cheesecake off at his house, on the way to work today, as I pull up I see a 1994 SR5 4wd ext cab with the 3.slo engine sitting in the driveway, his son drove it back from Cali last year and he bought it off him so he could have a down payment on a new one, he was thinking of selling it but right now the exchange student they have is driving it, anyway he says that I can have it in the fall when the student goes back, for $1k only has 125k miles on it!

Guess he will get another cheesecake! I take about three a year into the ladies at my bank, they all love me, I have never used my I.D. there, they all know "the cheesecake guy" not sure it boosts my credit score......but can't hurt!!Attachment 83050
HAHAHA, .... "Sir, you just went to a 790 with this Cheesecake!" lol. Yeah,...it's a WONDERFUL tool for making people 'LOVE YOU', hahaha. Actually, I just love serving people, period, and with the loving of food thrown into the mix, 22 years of cooking and a REAL LOVE of watching people enjoy 'good eats', ....it's a win/win combo! hahaha.

Originally Posted by tpaine14
if you get the bj spacers dont get pro comp shocks...they suck. and as far as bj spacers go...i really like mine, like you im not a hard core rock crawler just a kid trying to hit trails and have fun. but...every weekend i am either out thrashing trails or up north finding hunting or fishing or camping spots and i have zero complaints and zero issues since march. if your thinking of getting them for a look/minor potential improvement get them. but like said above its not a night and day difference. mine went from stock to 2 inch "lift" nd a locker pretty much over night so i was obv seeing a big difference. btw your runner is super clean. i love it
Thanks for the info, TPaine! It's really the reason, in part, that I posted this thread....to offer input and receive it as well. I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll go, IF I don't like the torsion bar tweek and new shocks.

Take care, guys, ....

Mark
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Great write up Mark! I would be very interested to see a rear axle flex pic with the Zuks installed if anybody has one.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 AM

I will try to get one, today, ....but I'm working, AGAIN, on the 'Troubleshooting thread', below, .....shouldn't be a problem, just have to find something to get 'up on' hahaha.

THANKS, ROB, ...means a lot coming from 'DIY' guys like yourself!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 AM

I will try to get one, today, ....but I'm working, AGAIN, on the 'Troubleshooting thread', below, .....shouldn't be a problem, just have to find something to get 'up on' hahaha.

THANKS, ROB, ...means a lot coming from 'DIY' guys like yourself!
Thanks Chef, you could even just put a good jack under one side of the axle to only lift one tire off the ground. I really need to do something about my rear springs. The AAL I have in there now is helping the ride height but hurting my flex & I can't decide which route to go. Just like you I would love to just buy some OME springs, but it seems like a lot of money. I am also considering picking up some 63" chevy 1/2 ton leaves & welding new hangers....you get GREAT flex with those long springs, but the ZUK mod is by far the cheapest & easiest option.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 AM

I'll post it up asap, Rob, ok? No problemo, and I'd like to see, anyhow, ya know? lol.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM

I'll post it up asap, Rob, ok? No problemo, and I'd like to see, anyhow, ya know? lol.
Thanks alot, and please don't rush on my account OK. I'm in no hurry, just when ever you have time.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Gotcha
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just measured my rear sag, 11 inches...
Old 07-17-2010, 01:47 PM

With the top off, Brian? MOST DEFINITELY a difference, when you add the nearly 120# top back on to worn leaf packs. Heck, see that pic of mine camping? That's with EVERYTHING out and yet, from being pressed down, literally, to the bump stops(1/2" max of space, every bump hit them), ....THEY STAYED DOWN FOR ALMOST A DAY! hahahaha. Strange, I know, but hey, ......I guess that's what they do. When I camp, I remove the top for 'GOOD TIMES 4X4'ING', lol....plus, less weight in the rear, and after getting the rear to hop a couple times, they would come back up a lil, even with the top on again. NOT MUCH! lol. I had 10" with the top on, 10.3 on a good day, hahaha. Now, I'm at 13, 3 INCHES UP, and the ride is REALLY nice. Easy mod, 70$ WITH shipping.... NO brainer for me. Not for everyone, and that's fine. However, I have to be responsible and 'prioritize' right now, especially with a Grand kid, ...and I didn't like the AAL I had on my white one(on that one I just replaced the whole pack, but it only lasted FULLY without sag for about a year.) I've seen guys with these with the same height for 3 years now, ..so like I said.....

New Suspension; GREAT! But around 900$ ALL DIY, + labor if not for any portion therein(installed for you?... 1600$ total or so)....

Zuk Coil; Rides fine for me, no play, almost no noise and 70$ to my doorstep and 2 hours, max labor(1.25 with help). Brings my pack back up and gets the stops 4" further up and 3" of fender clearance, ...in one hour? Yeah, like I said, no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, ...If I had 30Grand to play with, ...SURE, .... maybe a SAS, 3.4, etc. That'd leave me a lil in the bank and I'd be doing the full suspension mod. But I just CAN'T get myself to break the "Frugal" streak, right now, especially with the CA. Economy the way it is, ya know? hahaha.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Rob, as promised; (Keep in mind, I am a DOLT when it comes to Suspension, ...so not sure if this is what you wanted me to do, hahaha)...........

I think that, as I break these coils in a lil(I know, they don't really 'break in' MUCH, so to speak, but you know what I mean) they'll possibly give me a lil more, but I could have gone a lil more. One thing I know for CERTAIN..... Before these, with the leaves flat, and 1.5" from the bump stop, I think the driver side tire would have been off the ground about 4 pumps of the jack, hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-17-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:50 PM

PS> Did the magic eraser on the top....THING REALLY WORKS! Plus, I did some pledge. I'll get some better pics in the sun from the side when I go get my stuff from the store.

L8r t8rs!

Mark

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...