Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just blocked off my EGR....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm a living dichotomy, friend. I hunt and slay and eat, any animal I can afford to buy a licence and tag or permit for. Yet, it almost makes me cry when I step on the kitty's tail. We are few and far between, folks like me. Probably a good thing, too. And I say heck no to EGR valves, always have.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-11-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys win the THREAD HIJACK award for the week
Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 PM

WooHoo!...I'd like to thank the EGR valve, without which none of this would be possible, YotaTech for sponsoring the whole affair, my grandfather who inspired my mechanical aspirations, I would also like to thank.........

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-22-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Blocked off mine as per SteveLS1 directions. Seems to have a crisper and smoother throttle response.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Nobody's perfect, we all do the best we can. Now quit huggin' me or I'm gonna kiss ya.
ROFL , at least wait till I have adj my attitude and I can laugh when you kiss me HEHE
Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 AM

I'm a living dichotomy, friend. I hunt and slay and eat, any animal I can afford to buy a licence and tag or permit for. Yet, it almost makes me cry when I step on the kitty's tail. We are few and far between, folks like me. Probably a good thing, too. And I say heck no to EGR valves, always have.
Kill'em all and eat'em !!!!!!!!! Except the pets of course ..........did a 18 month stint in Korea on a combat tour right on the DMZ and they like pets over there ............tastes like beef .
Old 10-12-2007, 08:50 AM

WooHoo!...I'd like to thank the EGR valve, without which none of this would be possible, YotaTech for sponsoring the whole affair, my grandfather who inspired my mechanical aspirations, I would also like to thank.........
I just want to Thank YOTATECH for some of the finest opportunities to help someone , to be helped and last but not least some of the finest entertainment and comedy relief I have ever seen , I don't work guys and this forum is the best !!!!!!!!!!!
Better than TV (don't watch the tube much anyway) !!!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone want to post a pic of how to block off the EGR? and as far as methane goes.... i watched a B movie called 'black sheep' last night.. about sheeps that get pissed off and mutated and start killing and eating people. the survivors ended up killing the sheep by feeding a dead body to them, and lighting their farts on fire (because farts are pure methane) thus blowing everything up. most bizzarre movie ive ever seen
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM

Methane

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
anyone want to post a pic of how to block off the EGR? and as far as methane goes.... i watched a B movie called 'black sheep' last night.. about sheeps that get pissed off and mutated and start killing and eating people. the survivors ended up killing the sheep by feeding a dead body to them, and lighting their farts on fire (because farts are pure methane) thus blowing everything up. most bizzarre movie ive ever seen
Ok METHANE , do all the environmental experts ever tell you that the single biggest contributor to the METHANE problem is FARTING/Flatuating TERMITE'S - yes I know you say man what is he on .................... but no thats not the problem ............its true and then cows/livestock .
So what we should do is Unite in a Global Termination/Removal of all the cursed wood eating and flatuating (farting) Termite's !!!
WE SHOULD LOBBY FOR TERMITE TERMINATION GLOBALLY !!!!!!!!

Muhahahahahhahahahaha ........KILL THEM ALL .................
No more emissions , yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa , all the TERMITES ARE DEAD .

ROFL , sorry ( but the termite thing is true )
Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 AM

I blocked my EGR on my newly rebuilt 22RE. I spent hours on the glass beading machine trying to get all that nasty black crap out of the head. I'm for sure not going to let it get that way again! I can't believe they even designed them to have the EGR pumped into the head, very dirty design.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

a pic showing how to block off the EGR?

follow the tube. Get the one that goes into the intake manifold......and cut it. Get some 1/8" aluminum plate, drill 2 holes in it, get some gasket maker, and bolt it to where the EGR would bolt into the intake manifold.

Fill the egr tube that you just cut with ultra copper RTV, use some heavy duty pliers, and bend it over so it kinks tightly.

That's the simplest description I have.

Another thing I did, disconnect the cold-start fuel injector. I found mine seemed to stick open during normal running, making the truck run pig rich, eat more fuel than usual, and generally run crappy.

Starts a lil rougher in the morning now, but once I give it gas, it's all good.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM

my cold start injector power cord is messed up anyway, so i did disconnect it. runs a hell of a lot better. its super hard to start in the morning, it will start and then die a couple times, but after that it runs fine. will do the work on the EGR soon, will post whrther it helped or not. thanks guys
Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
a pic showing how to block off the EGR?

follow the tube. Get the one that goes into the intake manifold......and cut it. Get some 1/8" aluminum plate, drill 2 holes in it, get some gasket maker, and bolt it to where the EGR would bolt into the intake manifold.

Fill the egr tube that you just cut with ultra copper RTV, use some heavy duty pliers, and bend it over so it kinks tightly.

That's the simplest description I have.

Another thing I did, disconnect the cold-start fuel injector. I found mine seemed to stick open during normal running, making the truck run pig rich, eat more fuel than usual, and generally run crappy.

Starts a lil rougher in the morning now, but once I give it gas, it's all good.
A little less obvious for inspection reasons if you disconnect flanges and then cut / trim thin metal gaskets to block flow and reassemble , that way its there but not working and always the trick of just plugging vacumn line for EGR Valve (as long as its not stuck open) .
Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM

don't forget that the EGR will also lean out the fuel mixture at crusing speeds, so you may see a slight drop in MPG. either way i always block mine off to keep the crap out of my intake.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 PM

Not exactly.

The o2 sensor will still be every bit as able to read it being too lean with or without the EGR. The EGR doesn't in itself have any effect on whether the air/fuel ratio is too rich or too lean. Meaning, the ECU doesn't get any information to adjust the fuel mixture except through the exhaust, o2 sensor. If the EGR is open and leaning out the mixture, immediately the o2 sensor will sense this and the ECU will richen the mixture accordingly to correct that. The EGR has nothing to do with it really.

As I've stated now on too many occasions to count, the EGR has NO beneficial effect on engine performance. You are NOT likely to see any mpg loss from removing/blocking it, in fact the opposite is FAR more likely. The designed function of the EGR is to reduce emissions at the cost of fuel efficiency and horse power. Slighty oxymoronic, when you think about it.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have any of you guys that have bypassed the egr noticed any more pinging?

Or alternatively, any less pinging?

Btw as far as the argument goes, I'm a firm believer that a well tuned engine with a few pollution control devices bypassed pollutes less than a crappily tuned one with bad sensors does...
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM

So too get this 100% clear, no problems are going to come of this? I am not the most mechanically inclined person, not the most funded one, hence wanting to also make this fix to my rig. I need a smoother running ride, and I want this to work.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Have any of you guys that have bypassed the egr noticed any more pinging?

Or alternatively, any less pinging?

Btw as far as the argument goes, I'm a firm believer that a well tuned engine with a few pollution control devices bypassed pollutes less than a crappily tuned one with bad sensors does...
No difference here, never pinged with it, still don't without it. I actually didn't notice anything but a possible slight mpg gain, ~1 mpg more maybe without the EGR. But I'm not exactly sure how well the thing was functioning before I blocked it off. I've definetly got no reason to hook it back up.

Yes, I agree. More mpg means you will be burning less fuel=less total harmful emissions. Less mpg means burning more fuel=more total harmful emissions. The EGR is an engine "detuning" device under another guise. They can't exactly call it the "Performance Loss Valve", though that's exactly what it's funtion is. It couldn't lower emissions if it didn't rob power to pay the bill, so to speak.

Originally Posted by BrunswickYota
So too get this 100% clear, no problems are going to come of this? I am not the most mechanically inclined person, not the most funded one, hence wanting to also make this fix to my rig. I need a smoother running ride, and I want this to work.
If you have an issue it will be with the EGR temp sensor if yours has one. You can install a resistor to replace it though. If you don't your computer will fuss at ya till ya do and probably screw up any performance gains you'd be getting too.

About the smoother running ride. Yeah, it'll contribute to that. Don't expect too much though, I didn't hardly notice it much. But others have said it was more significant to making their engine run smoother with more pep.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Man when I got my old yota, it was a california truck and wouldn't idle. Well its no wonder it wouldn't idle, I couldn't find the engine underneath all that hose. all the smog crap and the no-idle problem quickly disappeared somehow (atmospheric phenomenon?)
Old 11-24-2007, 12:50 AM

I blocked mine of a few years ago. I always wanted to get around to fixing it but I just haven't yet. I had a pretty big flat spot when under power until I blocked off the EGR.

here you can see the little plate I made just below the cold start injector.

Quick Reply: Just blocked off my EGR....