Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Jacobs Ignition Crashes and Burns (surprised?)

Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jacobs Ignition Crashes and Burns (surprised?)

While on a family trip, I started having backfiring issues and ignition problems. Going up a hill, the engine stalled on me which was a shock and a 'not so happy' moment as we were pretty deep into the Olympics. I took some downtime, and things started again, but I was not happy as I did not know the root cause. We made it back, but not without further issues. It struck me that it might be the jacobs halfway home, but I had not brought my stock ignition wires and could not bypass it.

When I got home I ordered 2 jacobs wires to replace the stock coil to secondary trigger wire
and ultra coil to distributor cap wire. I wanted to begin the troubleshooting by replacing these two wires.

Reattaching the stock ignition to the distributor regained my regular operation, with no further backfires and engine stalls, leading me to believe that the Jacobs was at fault.

When speaking with Chuck at CBS performance automotive, he seemed to think that the secondary trigger might be at fault because they 'fail often'. hmm, not too confidence inspiring. By the way, CBS is the only reliable shop I know that continues to help customers with Jacobs products, the new owner, Mr. Gasket, offers absolutely no help and does not answer emails or calls.

I received the two new wires today and installed them, putting the Jacobs back in the loop. I drove up the hill and immediately was rewarded with a huge backfire and very erratic ignition timing! Well that settles it, 1) it is definitely the jacobs 2) it is prob. the secondary trigger but could also be the coil or the ignition itself.

I am going to call CBS tomorrow, but I have had this for less than a year and it's already crapped out on me. I really do like it, I can definitely notice the difference, the idle with the jacobs is rock solid at 800rpm and very powerful, and accel is very strong, almost roaring, while stock ignition is somewhat weaker (vascillates between 775-825). Starts are faster with stock ignition however, barely touch the key and it starts, with jacobs sometimes 2 starts while it 'warms up' however once started it's great.

I have had no problems so far but after a year it's completely crapped out on me and almost left me and my family stranded because I got complacent and did not bring the bypass cables. I'd enjoy hearing from any other Jacobs users about your experiences or other opinions on this thread welcome.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM

I have had my Jacobs Ignition for 14 years, and I agree that it provides much better performance than the stock ignition. Mine has worked flawlessly.

Your experience with Mr Gasket is the same as mine. I tried to order a new set of plug wires from those people, and got nothing but grief. Wound up buying elsewhere. I will never deal with that company again. I think they bought Jacobs to eliminate a competitor, not to sell the product line. What a bunch of __________s.

Sometimes I see used Jacobs units on ebay. Maybe you can get a functioning one there at a reasonable price.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sad tohear its such junk. I always used MSD stuff in my other cars.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 AM

I usually recommend sticking with stock toyota ignition system...simply for the reliability
Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM

jacobs invented the pacemaker as well
Old 04-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

I am debating whether to continue troubleshooting (with Jacobs, means buying new components, installing them, and hoping for the best), or just pulling the whole thing and selling it on ebay.
would love to continue running the jacobs but at these prices I can't really justify it anymore.
to think that it was such a PITA to install (didn't know about the secondary trigger at first and could not figure it out), to have it crap out after little more than a year, it's just kind of a ripoff and an insult to the customer. I have now heard things like 'oh yes, that model wasn't a very reliable one', and 'yes we see a lot of returns on that design', but there is no warranty or guarantee at all. live and learn.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 AM

I ALWAYS carry the stock wires so I can switch back. Good thing too as mine did what you describe. Almost identical.

The entire unit is back at Jacobs now for evaluation.

I will note that "Jacobs" is no longer a company. It's been taken over by Mr Gasket. They got none of Jacobs records so warranties are iffy if at all. Jacobs "lifetime" warranty is NOT honored on the unit or wires.

I really didn't notice any performance improvement, but I did like the start security wire/switch thingie.

IF they decide to repair it I'll put it back in the truck, but I always carry the stock wire so I can put it back if Jacobs fails.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM

Unless Mr Gasket bought Jacobs in Bankrupcy court, they have to honor all of Jacobs committments. It might cost you more in legal fees to collect, but you can sue Mr A--gasket in small claims court yourself for your damages. Collecting might be a problem unless Mr A--gasket has a business in your court's juristiction that the judge can levy the judgement against.