Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

It's alive again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's alive again!

Finally, the rough idle and stumbling acceleration of a 5 cylinder 3VZE is history!! I brought the truck down from Rock Tech Offroad yesterday on a trailer to Mesa Muffler. Chris at Rock Tech did an amazing job installing my new Jasper 3VZE, my ARB lockers and 4.88's. I'll be elaborating on his work, talent, and attention to detail for awhile. Bud at Mesa Muffler put on an exhaust that exceeded my imagination. What a feeling it was to finally turn the key and drive the truck home. I'll be back with more details and pictures. But, now I have to go back outside and admire all the shiny new parts a bit more!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice to hear its running again
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
that is so awesome to hear that. Im soo jealous of your new gear.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the camera out with you to look.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:21 AM

Remember to resist the urge and be gentle for a while. It took 6k miles before my new motor quit using oil.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Contributing Member

CONGRATS!!

I hope to be in the same shoes very soon, just ordered an engine from this guy, http://www.22re.com/main/toy/kbhipro.htm I'm SO looking forward to driving it again! It will be hard to not lay into all the new power, but I know the first 6-8k are the most critical so I need to take it easy! I recomend the same thing Ganoid... Take it easy for a while and it will be for the better. By the way Ganoid, how much oil did it use till it was seated in?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:47 AM

It took me quiet a while to get 6k on it just driving around town and the 1.5 miles to work and back. Seems like every week I was putting oil in I was starting to get a little worried but then one day it just stopped needing oil around 6k. When you initially start a new motor and drive around you will be disappointed with the performance but wait a month or so and once everything gets seated you will get progressively happier with the new motor.

On my short trip stop and go routine to 6k miles I probably added 3-4 quarts between oil changes. Then like it just kinda quit using oil one day and has been great ever since.

Last edited by Ganoid; 07-07-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
someone dropped some coin!

youll like the japser
Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 PM

don't be gental ,drive it like you stole it ,,and don't hold it at steady speeds for long periods ,you need some loading on both sides of the rings to get em to seat ,loading mean combustion pressure ,i'm not saying rev it to 6 grand everytime either ,just don't be afraid to ge ton it ,6k miles is a long time for an ingine to break in ...i really suspect that was the distance and way you drove it everday Ganoid ,glad it finally got broke in though ,lotsa folks that break in an engine arn't that lucky

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...neBreakIn.html

here is the truth about engine break in on lycombing piston aircraft engines ,if its good enought for something that your life depends on in the air ,i'd trust it on the ground

Last edited by ironroad9c1; 07-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 PM

well i dont have the patience to read that..... anywho, i might not be the smartest guy when it comes to cars but arent plane engines and truck engines a lil different? i would be too afraid of breaking anything, i would take it easy.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 PM

well here is one train of thought ,if its gonna break ,it gonna break regaurdless of how you drive , i'll sum up the main point in the artical
"A new, rebuilt, or overhauled engine should receive the same start, warm-up, and preflight checks as any other engine. There are some aircraft owners and pilots who would prefer to use low power settings for cruise during the break-in period. This is not recommended. A good break-in requires that the piston rings expand sufficiently to seat with the cylinder walls during the engine break-in period. This seating of the ring with the cylinder wall will only occur when pressures inside the cylinder are great enough to cause expansion of the piston rings. Pressures in the cylinder only become great enough for a good break-in when power settings above 65% are used."

think of percent of power you mashing on the gas

"For those who still think that running the engine hard during break-in falls into the category of cruel and unusual punishment, there is one more argument for high power settings during engine break-in. The use of low power settings does not expand the piston rings enough, and a film of oil is left on the cylinder walls. The high temperatures in the combustion chamber will oxidize this oil film so that it creates a condition commonly known as glazing of the cylinder walls. When this happens, the ring break-in process stops, and excessive oil consumption frequently occurs. The bad news is that extensive glazing can only be corrected by removing the cylinders and rehoning the walls. This is expensive, and it is an expense that can be avoided by proper break in procedures."
Old 07-07-2006, 02:31 PM

I have never heard of anyone hurting an engine by running it hard right after the rebuild. if its gonna break , its gonna break ,plan and simple. ohh and people that use these aircraft engines ..there life depends on it and this is the manufacturer telling you to do this so the engine doesn't screw up in flight ,you can't just pull over in the air.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

A few photos for your evening entertainment.

The new engine!

Side view of the exhaust all tucked up nice!

And the rest (all pretty self explanatory):

Ahhh . . . the million dollar tuna can!

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it was some coin. But, a great value as far as I can tell. On the break in . . . . I've heard from a reliable source to avoid idling for excessive periods, avoid lugging the engine, vary the rpms, . . . and don't drive it too hard . . . . . just drive it normally. I've been keeping the rpms under 3000 for now and I'll change the oil at 500 miles.

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 07-09-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:18 AM

dude i'm telling you put that thing under a load to seat the rings , the only rpm i would avaoid is 6 grand ,other than that drive the piss out of it ,it takes cly pressure to force the rings against the cyl wall ,i use to work for toyota ,you can't hurt it on break in.
and if you do it was't built right to begin with , don't baby it.

Last edited by ironroad9c1; 07-08-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't see what I was looking for.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I didn't see what I was looking for.

Any color suggestions? I just primed it.

Major painting day here . . . . . put the first finish coat on the front door of the house, painting the bathroom shelves, finishing the paint on the patio chairs, got the primer on my bling battery bracket. I was going to paint the skid plate as well but I need to check with Bud on the fit before I cover it in paint.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Match your color scheme.

Figure out how to install it? Email me if you have any questions!