Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ISR mod supplies questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
ISR mod supplies questions

Im getting parts to do the ISR mod on my truck.

But I have a few questions.

1. I know a few people used PVC pipe but all I can find is 3" ABS pipe, is that okay?

2.Can I use copper fittings to attach the valve cover vent tube and that other tube to the intake?

3. I cant find any pre-bent pipes so im going to use a 45degree ABS elbow, cut the pipe in half and feed it into the elbow, to make sure I have a good seal im going to use some clear silicone, again will this work?

4. I cant for the life of me figure out how im going to connect the 3" ABS pipe to the throttle body OR the airbox.
The outside diameter on said peices is 2.75ish, I cant find any flexible couplers that are 3" to 2.75".
I tried to use some 3" inside diameter hose but it was way to big for the tb or airbox.

I could order some online from the us but it would cost me over 50 bucks, so its not really worth it.

I went to 4stores and no luck.

Last edited by Jay351; 08-27-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**subscribed
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
A couple questions...

Do you mean the inside diameter is 2.75ish and the outside is 3"?
And....
Do you have a radiator shop around where you can get large radiator hose...like for heavy trucks or farm equipment? Or is rad hose what you used?

The ABS will likely work. It's fairly thick. Over a period of time it may get brittle from being exposed to the heat, but it should last a good while until you have other options. I'm just surprised that's all you can find, though. Surely you have large home improvement/hardware stores around...no??? Anyway, you could actually cement the ABS pieces together making one piece. It would be sturdier than just silicone.

The brass fittings? It depends on what you have in mind. The way I see it, you should be able to just use the stock vent tube hose clamped to the vent port on the cover and then use a fitting to the ABS...and for that you could use brass. I did. I just drilled a hole in the intake tube (PVC) and threaded the brass fitting directly into it. No glue, sealant, or backing washers necessary. Same for the other hose.

Listen...
If you like, I can help you out with supplies bypassing all the troubles you're having. I can get a price on materials for you and shipping estimate. I'm very sure it would be a lot less than $50.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

The inside diameter of the ABS pipe is 3" but the outside diameter of the throttle body and airbox is 2.75.

therefor a simple radiator tube wouldnt work as it would creatle wrinkles when compressed thus creating leaks.

I have gone to the big chain stores except for 1. (RONA) I will go there tomorrow to see if they have the reducers.

As for the brass fittings. They are simply a straight fitting (couldnt find any 90 degree ones) that is threaded on one end and barbed on the other, I just wanted to make sure copper would be okay and wouldnt be a problem with the engine ( I think they are copper, not really sure. I know brass is okay but I just want to cover my butt here)

My tube setup routing will work good with the bend in the middle and allow a little more access to the oil dipstick as I have seen others impeeded the access.

Thanks for your offer of getting the parts for me, I might just take you up if I can't find these couplers in this big chain store tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just went to a muffler shop and had them bend the pipe, then i went to ace and found some pipe that fit my crank case breather hose, had them drill a hole in that part of the pipe, weld it.. same on both. then took some cheap rubber plastic connectors from orielly's and band clamped them to the plenum and air box. tim.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll bet the fittings you have are brass. Copper isn't generally used for making parts like this. It isn't resiliant enough. Regardless, if the parts have any labeling whatsoever it should say.

I see what you mean about the hose. Yeah, I ran into that same problem originally. So, the PVC I settled on buying had the same inside diameter as the TB and airbox, but was just a hair large on the OD. So, the rad hose I bought was perfect. Maybe you've seen the pic I posted on the set up I went with? It's floating around in one or two of these IRS mod threads.

Well, let me know what you decide or what you can find. I can get whatever you need without paying taxes. Don't worry...it's legit. I have bonified tax exemption with the work I do.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

I have seen the pictures you posted but I couldnt get much from them.
Nobody seems to post any close up pictures!!

But anyways, I will go to RONA tomorrow and hopfally they have somthing I can use. I will post up my findings then, but if anyone has anyother suggestions or comments, post away.

The local shops have been 0 help with this subject. Im sure if I told them I was using sewer pipe for an intake they would laugh!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. Im sure if I told them I was using sewer pipe for an intake they would laugh!
lol im sure they would... but it really works though! many people have had no issues with this setup. tim
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Went to 2 other stores today but no luck! Nobody has these fittings!

Thook, if you could see if you can get these kind of fittings.

I need 2 flexible reducers that go from an inside diameter of 3.5" to an inside diameter of 2.75" Thanks!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php...g.php?pid=1661

Thats not a real common coupling you need.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cootees
http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php...g.php?pid=1661

Thats not a real common coupling you need.

thanks for the link, yeah I know about the size being not very common