Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Install Report: TRDParts4u lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install Report: TRDParts4u lift kit

This is the one with the stabilizer, HD rear coils, 2" rear spacers, Balljoint spacers, and OME shocks all around. 3-4" lift.

Rears were cake. Springs required major compressing via spring compressors, but once they slid in, BAM! And they are HD! I could load 200lbs+ in the back and it doesn't budge. Good stuff.

Fronts: The stock steering stabilizer upper bolt thing wouldn't come out. So I sawzall'd the damn thing off. Now I have to drill out the damn hole to install the new one. Cheap drill bits suck. Spending $60 on bits I hope will work sucks (I might change that if I find out they work this weekend).

Balljoint spacer install: Before starting this, MAKE SURE the instructions you have have CLEAR pictures. I had no idea what lip I had to cut off. After an hour I figured it out. Use a cut off tool (air tool). using the 4" grinder w/cut off wheel was a pain in the arse and painful (burns).

Also, I recommend a BIG breaker bar. I'm talking STRONG and about 4' long. This will allow you to get leverage to lift up the upper a-arm in order to put the spacer in and slide the ball joint into place. It takes strength (so some of you weenies may need to call reinforcements ).

Finally:

It rides great! Feels even better. Handles great off road. I'll be posting pics of flex later tonight. Good stuff! Only thing that would be better: SAS.

Also, you NEED the front diff drop spacers and longer brake lines. Both of those will be installed this weekend. (as long as Marlin gets 'em to me this week)
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 AM

Before/After pics?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

before? look at your rig.

After? coming tonight.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
Balljoint spacer install: Before starting this, MAKE SURE the instructions you have have CLEAR pictures. I had no idea what lip I had to cut off. After an hour I figured it out. Use a cut off tool (air tool). using the 4" grinder w/cut off wheel was a pain in the arse and painful (burns).
so did you happen to take some CLEAR pictures of the procedure?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chimmike
Also, I recommend a BIG breaker bar. I'm talking STRONG and about 4' long. This will allow you to get leverage to lift up the upper a-arm in order to put the spacer in and slide the ball joint into place. It takes strength (so some of you weenies may need to call reinforcements ).
It's really a better idea to either jack the frame up far enough to droop the lower a-arm, or unbolt the torsion bar adjusting bolts. No point in fighting a spring made to hold up a 4500lb. vehicle... When I installed my ball joint spacers, I actually removed both upper a-arms (took off the t-bars, etc.), to make grinding easier.

Definitely need to see those after pics
Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
It's really a better idea to either jack the frame up far enough to droop the lower a-arm, or unbolt the torsion bar adjusting bolts. No point in fighting a spring made to hold up a 4500lb. vehicle... When I installed my ball joint spacers, I actually removed both upper a-arms (took off the t-bars, etc.), to make grinding easier.
This is true, but my breaker bar is BEEFY and I was able to pull it up and hold it while my buddy positioned them. Leverage=good

I don't have good pictures of the area but I can explain it a lot better than those SDORI instructions could! "cut lip with angle grinder or cut off wheel" So we scratched our heads...... "ok, what friggin lip?"
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM

were's the pics? i need a lift.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please explain the BJ spacers..I'm doing this soon and will need to know as I cant make heads or tails of them crappy pics either.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

The upper ball joint portion, let me see if I can snap a pic of it later today and upload it.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just did the lift and i love it....my buddy took pics of the complete install and than his now ex jacked his digital camera and all the install pics...