Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Injectors not working??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I think what you need to do right now is check injector signal. If the truck can start and run briefly on the cold start injector then you likely have enough pressure in the rails for it to at least try to continue to run. That information alone is enough to check for injector pulse. If you don't have it then you know where to start looking. If you do then continue with trying to check rail pressure. Most part stores will rent a noid light set. A multi meter with an audible continuity check mode will also work. Set a meter to continuity. Connect one lead to engine ground and the other to the signal wire on an injector. Crank the engine and listen for the meter to beep briefly. It should. Don't try to just check for ground there as a meter isn't quick enough to update the display. Then continuity check usually is fast enough. I've done it many times and it's not let me down yet.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cracker1
Where is the 4 pin relay located? Grounds are all good and connected.
Small fuse box behind the battery in the engine bay. Labeled EFI
Old 05-30-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will check the injectors with the continuity meter. Will check the EFI relay by the battery as well. Thanks to all for your valuable information... will get this running one way or another....
Old 05-30-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Ah, the switch and pray. Do you have any reason to think your "spare" COR is any good? Easy to test, but you seem to be allergic to testing.

What happens if you plug in the spare, and the truck starts working? That means you were right, doesn't it? Well, unless the problem was a bad relay socket; cracked wire, or something else you bumped into blindly switching parts. And a few weeks from now the relay will wiggle out of the bad socket and the truck won't start anymore.

This test, if done correctly, positively tests the COR.

Why don't you now check for fuel flow. No special tools needed; just run the fuel return line into a suitable container and run the pump with the jumper. You should get about 1/2 liter/min. If you get nothing, there may be no fuel pressure in the rail.
I am going to check the gas flow tonight and see if the gas is flowing or not. Then onto whatever else... I know there is gas in the rails, as I have cracked them and got sprayed...
No fuel out of the pressure regulator on the left fuel rail. So, not enough pressure or? Again, I cracked the fuel log below it and fuel sprayed out. And checked the cold start injector, fuel there also. Fuel pump failing under pressure?
Will check the injectors with the continuity meter. Will check the EFI relay by the battery as well. Thanks to all for your valuable information... will get this running one way or another....
I am confused, no fuel out of the regulator... but now you are checking the injectors? It sure sounds like your fuel pump is not supplying enough pressure or can't keep up with that pressure when you try to start or you have a clogged/pinched line or filter. you can "get sprayed" with 5 psi but your injectors need 38-44 at the injector and it take good flow to maintain that pressure.
But like Scope said, disconnect the return line and put it in a bucket and run you pump, no flow means check your fuel supply!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
I am confused, no fuel out of the regulator... but now you are checking the injectors? It sure sounds like your fuel pump is not supplying enough pressure or can't keep up with that pressure when you try to start or you have a clogged/pinched line or filter. you can "get sprayed" with 5 psi but your injectors need 38-44 at the injector and it take good flow to maintain that pressure.
But like Scope said, disconnect the return line and put it in a bucket and run you pump, no flow means check your fuel supply!
That is what I asked, can the fuel pump fail under a load or pressure? I took the fuel pump out and bench tested it, it showed around 55psi..... New fuel filter has been installed previously.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
O.P.,
May I suggest you post ONE single update on mostest current status that lists, in as few essential words as possible (concise), things that you actually see, hear, smell, feel & measure, compared to what you know normal conditions should look, feel, smell, measure.
Examples:
FSM says fuel pressure should be this, but you actually measure that.
NormaL plugs should be dry but yours may have fuel residue (meaning no spark)

This way people who are donating free time to help would not have to read your whole thread, or exchange questions and answers that will only make your thread more confusing, lengthy and less appealing for people who may otherwise want to help.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 05-30-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have never had a bad COR. 22re and 3.0 share the same operations. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ If you are suspecting your injectors, a continity test is not always accurate. A lesson I learned the hard way. Corrosion will not let all the voltage or current pass to operate the injector. The Noid light will let you know if the signal is getting from the computer to the injector. Even if it flashes it could be not getting enough voltage.

Since it was running when you first started working on it, I suspect something has not gotten hooked up correctly.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Finally figured out most of the problem. The bottom pully on the crank had worn out where the key way is, allowing the timing to move ALOT... never seen that happen before. But it cured most of the problems.