Sponsored by: DashLynx

inclinometer mounting suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inclinometer mounting suggestions

Hey guys,

I got my hands on an inclinometer (for 2nd gen) with a driver side on right side bias. Mounting it straight on the center of the first gen will still support that right side bias and it'll be annoying to say the least. Anyone have a solution to this?

I've debated Bob's fiberglass approach but I don't have any console space unless I completely gut out the center air vents - something I'd rather not do.

Suggestions?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Hey guys,

I got my hands on an inclinometer (for 2nd gen) with a driver side on right side bias. Mounting it straight on the center of the first gen will still support that right side bias and it'll be annoying to say the least. Anyone have a solution to this?

I've debated Bob's fiberglass approach but I don't have any console space unless I completely gut out the center air vents - something I'd rather not do.

Suggestions?
what do you mean "right side" bias? show me a pic

you know im the master at modifying these things. i am sure i can fix this problem for you.

bob
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 PM

What was the last year a inclinometer was offered, and is there a easy way to mount it in a 92? Being a pilot I really want one....will make my truck seem more like my aircraft, minus the BAG ( big a$$ gun)
Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Contributing Member

Bob,

right side bias I mean that when you mount it straight it tilts to the right side so that the driver/passenger can see it better. I may take you up on that offer if I can't figure out what I'm going to do.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:23 AM

i think he has an inclonometer that was off a right-hand drive vehicle..... as most of the 2nd gen in japan had...... if this is the case, the meter slants the opposite direction to account for the slope of the opposite direction dash..... you will need to fashion some piece of wood or plastic that will slant it back up standing straight....

i believe the only place that got inclonometers from the factory left hand drive was austrailia..... and those are very difficult to find...

4x4nala.... you can try ebay.... they come up regularly there.... try searching toyota inclonmeter.... there is also a tercel inclonometer that some have modified for 4runners..... good luck
Old 04-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jay-q
i think he has an inclonometer that was off a right-hand drive vehicle..... as most of the 2nd gen in japan had...... if this is the case, the meter slants the opposite direction to account for the slope of the opposite direction dash..... you will need to fashion some piece of wood or plastic that will slant it back up standing straight....
Yeah, that's right... the inclinometer is slanted at it's base too. I forgot aobut that.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so on the horizontal axis, its slanted downwards and to the right towards the passenger? can the base be dremel'd off to make it level then?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm not so sure about that. I think it's a metal base.
Since this is going in the 1st gen the mod will be all about funcionality so I don't really care about the looks of it. I can probably just stack washers to make it even.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount it though...
I'm still debating the fiberglassing too.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-Remove the metal bracket, throw it away.
-Shave the plastic case till its level (sharp knife works best)
-Use bondo (or something like it) to make the bottom of the inner housing flat, its prety easy to do.
-Use high strength 2 sided tape of velcro on the dash and new flat housing, stick it on.

I also ran the wire down a defrost vent, drilled a hole into the air duct from underneath, fished the wire out and sealed the hole up (if you want the light).

I wish I could show you pics, but I had a little fire problem ya know...

Its very easy to do, I had no writeup to go off of, just "winged" it and it turned out great. Also, it sat with a nice low profile on the dash (unlike Corey's, no offense Corey).

Lamm
Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm nice.
I think I can figure out what you mean by your text.
I'm debating mounting it on top of the driver side console to take advantage of the right side bias vs. mounting in the center. Besides, my GPS is there right now.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:53 PM

If this is going in a 1st gen then sell this one and buy the correct one for the 1st gen unless you are going to do the DIN install. Then it will sit level and face straight, I just finished installing mine and it was really simple. I am sure you can get more for this one than you will pay for the older one. The 1st gen inclinometers are always on ebay........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...52763529QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...28018150QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...28749688QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...53546602QQrdZ1

The only other advice I can offer is to make sure that you get the bracket with it to make it easier to install.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 AM

Looks like a tercel on the first gen model. But hey, that's about half the cost of the 2nd gen models on ebay.

Perhaps you could flip the gauges in the pod and mount it on yer roof in front of the mirror.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Denk
Looks like a tercel on the first gen model. But hey, that's about half the cost of the 2nd gen models on ebay.
Then get both and take them apart and combine the two to get the one that you want. It will be a hybrid and probably a first. Then you could sell the other hybrid you have left.