86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS lift install Q's (in process)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS lift install Q's (in process)

I am in the process of installing an IFS lift for my 89 4runnner. I ran into some problems. First off this kit is used so I may be missing some parts. This is a trailmaster kit and the install directions suck!

Does anyone have pics of the spindle sleeves and diff. drop stuff?

While installing one side on the front, the axle seem in a really akward angle and pulled out a little. I am going to need to redo the axle tomorrow. Did I do something wrong here to have the axle slip out?

***Installing this IFS lift kit makes me want to throw it in the garbage and order an SAS kit but.. I am just going to stick it out because I basically paid nothing for it and dont extactly have the funds for an SAS right now.

Last edited by M threezy; 04-30-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:27 PM

Bump for some help for M threezy
If your gonna scrap it I'll take it
Old 05-04-2007, 04:25 PM

okay decided to finally finish this after a year later. lol

attached is pic of the "long spacer tubes" that i really dont have any idea how it fits on the diff. brackets. anyone know?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I recall right - the trailmaster kit workd by DROPPING the spindles with a "stacked block" thingie between the top of the spindle and the upper a arm.

To keep ya from busting CVs, ya dropped the front axle by the same distance.

Front axle is held in place by
-- a horizontal bolt at the front cross member (trail master supplies a new front corss member?)
-- two vertical bolts that go to tabs on the frame - one on the passenger side and one on the end of the "tube" on the drivers side

You'll need longer bolts to drop the front axle... so those spacers hod the axle down by the correct amount?

Its orange colored - right?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:48 AM

there are three diff drop brackets. the one you have pictured is for the single bolt on the passenger side. the two spacers are for the drop bracket that is towards the rear of the diff, but you don't have that bracket pictured. the third drop bracket is for the driver's side and has 4 holes in it.

basically check any ifs drop bracket type lift install directions online (pro-comp, superlift, for example) as they are all basically the same and some have better instructions than others...

Last edited by 89-4Runner; 05-05-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:47 AM

I just put on a 4'' lift from skyjacker and they didn?t give any instructions either. It just said drop differential and install drop brackets. It took me a while to figure out what I had to unbolt and rebolt to make it happen. Here are some pics that should help you out. I will not explain them. Just look closely and they should explain themselves. It took me 5 days to get mine done because I have never done anything like this before and I had to cut off my lower control arms due to seized eccentric bolts. Not fun at all but well worth it.

Short spacer towards the rear on top. long spacer up front on top. Tiney spacer at the bottom of the bracket towards the rear.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by YotaND
I just put on a 4'' lift from skyjacker and they didn?t give any instructions either. It just said drop differential and install drop brackets. It took me a while to figure out what I had to unbolt and rebolt to make it happen. Here are some pics that should help you out. I will not explain them. Just look closely and they should explain themselves. It took me 5 days to get mine done because I have never done anything like this before and I had to cut off my lower control arms due to seized eccentric bolts. Not fun at all but well worth it.

Short spacer towards the rear on top. long spacer up front on top. Tiney spacer at the bottom of the bracket towards the rear.

˟˟˟˟˟˟ing awesome bro! that is exactly what i am looking for. thanks a ton. they say a picture says a thousand words. haha

but for some reason i got it all to line up without the spacers...i will take it apart and use the spacers.

thanks again!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:47 PM

nm figured it out!

Last edited by M threezy; 05-05-2007 at 05:28 PM.