Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I want to herculine the rest of the interior, but???

Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to herculine the rest of the interior, but???

Well, I did the bed of my 88 4runner and it turned out great. Here are some pics. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551634616GJlGmq

I hunt so no more muddy boots and waders on carpet. I bought another can of herculiner to do the rest of the interior and will probably get another to finish it up. My question is, will I run into any problems with wires or taking the rest of the carpet out? What do I need to look out for before I try and tackle this. The texture of herculiner is rough so that is why the pics look kind of bad but looking at it in person it is simply amazing. Thanks for any help you can give!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:29 PM

I dont believe you will, when i do my truck im only going to do to the back of the front seats and then use undercoating for the front seats and use the carpet. i figure the front liners cover the carpet well enough to where it will look nice when the time comes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM

if you dont want the wires to show put them in a pvc pipeand fiber glass it in or just put it a a pvc pipe and if it doesnt matter just herculine right over that
Old 12-30-2006, 05:46 AM

that is a good idea. my buddy told me that he is hearing a lot of road and engine noise after doing his pathfinder so i am having second thoughts on doing the rest of my 4runner. i may take the back seats out and do from the bed to the back of the front seats like stated above and see what happens. this is my daily driver so I want to make sure I don't sacrifice anything.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the pictures. I've considered doing the back of my 4runner as well. I hunt like you and currently I put all the dead animals in a hitch-haul on the back. I'd like a little more flexibility, particularly when I have nasty clothes and boots.

Right now if I have nasty gear I just strap it to the hitch-haul and drive down the road.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:21 PM

yeah, i bought a hitch haul from harbor freight and was able to put it to use with a buck my dad shot this year. it worker out great!! The main reason I did it was to prevent all of the mud from getting on the carpet from my waders, boots, and hip boots for duck hunting. I still have the carpet and it is in great shape so if I ever want to put it back in I have that option. I may even shampoo it and let it dry really good before I put it up for storage so it is ready if needed. I had my duck boat in the back of the 4runner today and it started raining. I just looked back in the bed of my 4runner and smiled. it was all worth it!! I am thinkinf of getting an 1/8th inch sheet of plywood and tracing the tailgate panel on it and herculining that as well so I can remove all of the carpet back there. that was the only part that got wet today. lol
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

sorry about digging up an old thread but here is my question i wanna hurculine but alot of the sound deading material stuck to the floor pan what do you all think i should use i was searching and couldn't find any thing, i was thinking

1.adheisve remove (spray type)
2. a scotch brite pad (PITA but probably effective enough)
3. a sanding type of grinder wheel.
4. or i could just say F-it and roll over what is still there, but i doubt it would completly cover the mat maybe with a few coats? plus i think the directions say to clean as much stuff out which would make this a no-no

and a side question has any one tryed this duplicolor stuff bassicly the same just a diffrant brand, wondering if it is junk or not.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM

i dont like the duplicolor stuff but maybe if the prep is better than mine, it may work better.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM

I was looking at putting Durabak on my Bronco.
http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

Send them any email and they will send you a sample.
There stuffs seems to be very durable.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:58 PM

i wanna do durabak the cab forward with the smooth dark gray. and the rockers/bed in their ruff black. only 250 to my door.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duplicolor blows.

You have to take your time and PREP the metal. Get it clean!!! Follow the directions that Herculiner gives in their kits.

I used Herculiner in my old truck and loved how it turned out. I didn't notice any increase in noise.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 AM

so i wont use the duplicolor stuff thanks for that input, i had forgoten about the durabak stuff. i seen it in 4wheel about a year or so back and i think they pretty much just rolled that stuff over the truck as is. i think i am going with it now that yall mentioned it.

but my big question what are the suggestions on removing the "dyno mat" basicly what would be the easist way? i guess i didn't word my earlier post correctly. which would be the best way in your opinion for the prep work?

2. a scotch brite pad.
3. a sanding type of grinder wheel. (seems like the fastest to me)
4. or i could usa a heat type gun to heat up the glue

i have pretty much never done "prep work" to sheet metal but this doesn't seem like a hard undertaking
Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 AM

I just did the front passenger area of my 88' 4Runner. There is a little more road noise but not as much as you'd think. The hardest part was pulling up all the insilation under the rear passenger compartment. Besides that it was super easy. Looks good.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gixxerjesse
so i wont use the duplicolor stuff thanks for that input, i had forgoten about the durabak stuff. i seen it in 4wheel about a year or so back and i think they pretty much just rolled that stuff over the truck as is. i think i am going with it now that yall mentioned it.

but my big question what are the suggestions on removing the "dyno mat" basicly what would be the easist way? i guess i didn't word my earlier post correctly. which would be the best way in your opinion for the prep work?

2. a scotch brite pad.
3. a sanding type of grinder wheel. (seems like the fastest to me)
4. or i could usa a heat type gun to heat up the glue

i have pretty much never done "prep work" to sheet metal but this doesn't seem like a hard undertaking
With any bed liner it is all in the prep work that you do. It's the same as painting. If you half ass the prep work you'l get half assed results.

You can use a heat gun and putty knife or paint scraper to remove the factory sound deading.
I'm personally going to try an angle grinder and wire wheel myself this weekend. I'll post back how that works out.