Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!

At 9:30 am on February 24, 2007, my 2006 Ford Mustang got a flat tire as I was driving north to Edmonton, AB, Canada from Red Deer, AB, Canada.

I pulled over onto the shoulder.

While talking to a tow truck driver on my cell phone, I was hit by a tractor-trailer (cattle liner...no cattles were on board...thank God!)

At the point of impact, the tractor-trailer was traveling at 114km/h and no braking attempted (the police was able to retieve most information from the tractor-trailer's onboard GPS system). I was pushed off the road by the tractor-trailer for 50 yards and the tractor-trailer went pass me for another 75 yards.

SPENT 12 AND 1/2 HOURS IN THE OPERATION ROOM

SUSTAINED:

BROKEN UPPER AND LOWER LEFT ARM (GOT TITANIUM PLATES IN THERE NOW)
FOUR IMPATED TEETH (GOT ME SOME ROOT CANALS AND A CROWN)
CHIPPED TEETH
BROKEN JAW
BROKEN COLLAR BONE
NUMEROUS BROKEN RIBS (TOO MANY SO THE DOCTORS STOPPED COUNTING. HE JUST CHARTED DOWN AS "NUMEROUS")
BROKEN PELVIS
BROKEN TAILBONE
DAMAGED SCIATICA NERVE
PUNTURED LUNG
LACERATED LIVER
SPLEEN REMOVED
SECTIONS OF SMALL AND LARGE INTESTINE REMOVED
BROKEN VERTEBRAES
ON AND ON AND ON...

SPENT 2 AND 1/2 MONTHS IN THE HOSPITAL

I remember the impact. Loud! Totally indescribable. Just too surreal. I didn't have time to react. I remember seeing the chrome grills and bumper of the tractor-trailer flat against the driver side of my vehicle and right in front of my face. The driver side door got pushed in from the impact which hit my left arm that was holding the cell phone. I was sitting on the driver side at the time of the impact.

At the ponit of impact my cell phone went flying like a projectile. My lower jaw rammed against my upper jaw which caused several teeth to be impacted. The pain was immediate, jolting, and gripping.

I remember waking up (1/2 and hour later...that's what I was told) in the wreck and sensing my left lung at it's final stage of being completely collapsed. My face was on the back seat and my chest was laying chest down on the center console. I could not breath because the deflated lung was putting it's weight on my heart. I looked up and there was a cop( I believe) sturdying my head. I asked him to lift my body up so I could breath but he was reluctant. I believe he was just as shocked ( you should have seen his face..ha ha). I think he did not want to lift me up because he feared of further damaging any spinal injuries I might have.

I tried to get up but I was unable to move my left arm. I looked down and it was all mangled. Man that was a messed up feeling seeing your arm just lifeless. Anyways, I used my good right arm to prop myself up in order to breath. After awhile right my arm got weakened so I used my last strength to flip myself over with a quick springing action with my right arm.

After awhile, the rescue team arrived. I saw one guy coming down towards my vehicle so I screamed out to the rest of the rescue team to hurry up and move their fat arses and cut the roof of my vehicle off because I was freaking dying!

Before you know it I was put on a board, yanked out (it felt like I got pulled out of water), and put in the ambulance. They took me to nearest hospital in a town (LaCombe, AB, Canada) which was 15 minutes away from the highway. While being transported they cut my clothing off. Once I got to the hospital, I passed out from being injected with something.

I was told later that I died in that hospital for 1/2 and hour but somehow they brought me back to life. Anyways, I had so many tramatic injuries for LaCombe Hospital to handle so they summoned a STARS ( Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society) helicopter to take me to Edmonton, AB, Canada where I underwent 12 and 1/2 hours of operations.

When I woke up in ICU (Intensive Care Unit), I thought I was in hell. I couldn't talk so I thought they had cut off my tounge ( I found out later that I had a tube down my throat to help me breath). Anyways, I could not move so I thought I was either paralyzed or being suspended in air. I was in a dimmed lit room and all I could see was vauge shadows going by and with inaudible voices. I thought they were Satan's workers coming to slice me up.

Thank God that was not so.

While in the hospital, I couldn't wipe my bums for almost a month (ha ha). Several times, I got stuffs shoved up my a-hole to get things moving (ha ha).

The truck driver got charged but sustained NO injuries. We are suing him through his insurance company.

From the Accident Reconstruction Report, the right front frame of the tractor-trailer was cracked/broken from striking my vehicle...that's a lot of KO force at the point of impact.

Anyways, I am mending slowly...like 3.0 Slow. Have TBI (Traumatic Brain Injuries)... funny headaches (PITA). Ofcourse, I will never be the same...at least I am on the same pace as my 3.0 Slow.

Attached Thumbnails I  Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!-yotatech2.jpg   I  Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!-yotatech3.jpg   I  Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!-yotatech.jpg  

Last edited by 4JOGGER; 09-12-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that is MUCH worse than I thought. You are very lucky to have survived that wreck. Was that a Mustang?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
o wow that sucks someone was lookin out for you
Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

When did it happen?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket
When did it happen?
It happened on feb 24, 2007

Last edited by 4JOGGER; 09-12-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:16 AM

WOW!! that looks like nobody would survive that, glad you made it out!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, that's a hell of a story. Glad you're still around to tell it. I know the feeling of the not being able to tell what's going on. NOT even close to how you had it, but it still was not something I'd care to relive. But, It sure does beat the alternative. What happened to the driver?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Very crazy story, glad you pulled through. Sometimes I think people sue for silly reasons, but you deserve millions for all you've been through, I hope you get something out of this other than a lifetime of pain, which you will definitely get!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Wow. Intense story, glad you made it through!! the car looks horrid. Whatever happened to the truck driver?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 AM

That sucks,I'm glad you are "ok". Another positive is that you weren't in your Yota! How you heal up quick.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, what a horrible wreck...hope your recovery is going ok. I think I'd rather die on impact than go though all that. Hope you had someone that loves you come to the ECU to visit.

Just goes to show you how fragle we are when face to face with speeding steel bumpers.

What is it that attracts drivers over to the shoulder as soon as someone stops there? People are always getting hit there. (Note to self: buy some emergency flares) Sounds like it was daytime though the way you describe the things you saw. Thats a great decription of what you remember, you should go on the Today show or write a book or something.

Best of luck with your rehab
Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 AM

DDDDaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnn!

Teach you to get a flat...huh! .

God speed on the recovery and I look forward to many more stories...just make sure they're about wheelin' though.

Mud_Puppy
Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 AM

that sucks....that reminds me of was i saw yesterday a cement truck was puillin onto the hiway and stalled and got hit by a dump truck and the guy in the dump truck was killed instantly....the guy in the cement truck was like im quitin my job i cant drive anymore, it fliped the trailer the dump truck had and twisted the whole frame of the cement truck and the roller thing was knocked off.....it happened like 3blocks infront of me
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Man,you are lucky but who's covering the damages and lost work time? Is the trucking company covering it?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
holy crap ... thats scary . your a strong person , I think most would have given up .

I wish you all the best on your recovery .
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, thats some scary story. Thank god your alright now!

A few words of advice to people: Having worked as a tow truck driver and a roadside assistance driver and doing work on the highways: Always, always, always try and pull as far from the traffic as you can on the shoulder-even if half your vehicle is int he grass. Get out of the vehicle and stand in front of it about 20 feet away. This prevents you from what happened to the OP, cause you can jump outta the way.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Damn dude, that is an incredible story. Glad you pulled through...you are a trooper. Maybe you'll be telling your story on TV someday!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:52 AM

you should sue that truck driver.....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dam dude, I never read a story like that. I'm glad you are ok. I do hope that company of that truck is doing the right thing by you.

I also do think that you should be on some type of TV show with thism kind of thing.

I heard of people being lucky, but Dam youi really are the lucky one in this case.

I wish you the best of luck, and please keep us informed of you outcome.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

My god... I saw a wreck like this the other day much slower speeds though. I can imagine what you looked like. Your a very lucky man to be here today.

Sue the crap out of them try to get on any tv and radio show you can. You'll be amazed how quickly anyone will fold under the pressure of the public and mass media.

Quick Reply: I Got Hit By A Tractor-trailer And Survived!!!!!!!!!!