Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I give up...where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I need to update my thread, really. But, she's been ready to go back in since yesterday. Today, I was shooting to get it in BUT!!!....(cont'd in the relevant thread)

About the too short of a bolt...bolt
I figured it out. That bolt went to the engine mount that coupled to the alternator bracket. Don't ask how it got mixed up in my timing cover bolts. I'm sure I had a good reason to put it with them at the time.

Anyway, the one bolt missing for the timing cover (where I though the too short bolt went) was in my bag of stuff for the alternator where it mates to the timing cover. LOL....and I still have some bolts that I'm not sure of where they go. I'm thinking the EGR. We'll see. It's just like a puzzle....the closer you get to putting it together, the more it all falls into place.

If ever get my wife to load the damn pics, I'll have the write up. But, I'd suggest to anyone doing this to make the cardboard mock up. And, don't ever send your head to the machine shop with all the bolts still in it. They'll take 'em all out and put them in a tidy bag for you to sort out when you get it back....grrrrr. I guess it wasn't that big of a deal. I finally figured it out. But, I didn't actually get them all back. A few that went to cover on the very back of the head. Have some spare bolts handy...hehe.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:Yep, it can break. So before we even think of going to maximum torque, we clean the threads in the block with a chaser, (NOT a tap)..Then we oil the threads and spin the bolt all the way in and out with our fingers. This assures they are clean and lubed.

What's the difference between a chaser and a tap?

I am getting ready to reinstall my head and can't find the correct size tap and die, should be 12m 1.5 or something right?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM

The chaser is for cleaning and repairing existing thread. The tap is for actually cutting new threads.

I'm not sure what size the shank is on the HB or even the thread pitch.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:05 AM

Another "can't find"!

I ran across it the other day at work, so I couldn't favorite place it......although, I suppose I could have PM'd the link to myself....

Anyhow, where is the thread and/or FSM diagram for hardtop removal procedure? I've tried different keywords.... hardtop, soft top, safari top....I just don't remember how I found it before and there's just too many threads to go through. I could continue to search and search, but I'm just hoping someone will save me the agony and know exactly where it is......pretty please......with canvas on top?!

I'd like to start designing my patterns for making a soft top this week. But, the topper's gotta come off first.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM

Like...OMG!....I just found it! I used the keyword "Kayline" the other day....apparently. So, nevermind and thanks anyway!

For those interested, the bonified 1st Gen Hardtop Removal Procedure courtesy of Tacoma Dude:

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Here's some pics for you courtesy member Cabbage:

The top is doable with one person but it is REALLY awkward unless you're a muscleman. The thing to worry about with removal is not scratching up the truck with the top when you remove and if you have roof rack bars (I forget what they're called) make sure you and your buddies are not holding the top by those bars. The rain gutter thingies may not support the weight of the top.

Last edited by thook; 05-19-2008 at 10:14 AM.