86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removable top problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removable top problems...

The weather has been improving emensly, and I am really thinking about taking my top off. I have run into a few questions that I have been mulling over in my head for the last few days.

1) How heavy is the top? Would it take more then one person to actually get it off?
2) Where exactly are the wires for the rear windsheild wiper located? Will I have to do anything to them in order to take the top off?
3) Are there any soft tops available for the 1st Gen 4Runners at an affordable price? (IE: $300 USA or less)
4) What is the most common problem people run into when they remove the hard top?

nateluke here on the forums and I were thinking that there is a possibility that the wires may play a problem. This is my first rig with a removable top that had a winsheild wiper in the back. I have searched the forums, but haven't had any answers, and I figured I would ask you people first before I started on Google. My owners manual doesn't say anything about the wires, but I want to be sure. Also, if it is light enough, I may just have a plan...otherwise, I will be investing into a soft top.

Thank you all in advance that have some answers for me. I feel like a noob every time I ask a question
Old 04-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's some pics for you courtesy member Cabbage:

The top is doable with one person but it is REALLY awkward unless you're a muscleman. The thing to worry about with removal is not scratching up the truck with the top when you remove and if you have roof rack bars (I forget what they're called) make sure you and your buddies are not holding the top by those bars. The rain gutter thingies may not support the weight of the top.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:46 PM

out of curiosity, why is bolt A so important?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

I think bolt A was the one that disengages the rear window
Old 04-21-2006, 04:49 PM

that makes sence
Old 04-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Thank you. Might have helped me had I been looking at the right thing....
Old 04-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Use a buddy, its much easier. Another way is to run strap through it attached to a hoist/lift & lift it off vertically then drive out from under it, either way use common sense & its a snap.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:05 AM

Bolt "A"
When I got my 84 the rear window was not working, for me, but the last owner said it worked. So between here and 4Crawler I found there to be 3 switches that have to be happy for the back window to work. One is Bolt "A" has to be tight as it closes a switch, the back wipper has be raised up off the back window, to complete that switch. Last the back gate has to be fully closed, by leaning with my left hand hard on the gate as I worked the key, my window moves.

Some extra stuff there incase the back widow gives you problems after reinstall.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bolt A keeps the rear window from being able to be rolled up w/ the hard top off...or it would get snapped off by the wind if you were going down the road perhaps.

Build a top lift with some 2x4s and some tie downs...I have one in my garage for my tops and I can take the top off by myself easily...as it weighs between 200-250 lbs.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just use a buddy - but make sure it's a strong buddy! I had a rather slight friend of mine help me take it off, and he proceeded to drop his end on the ground and scratch it all up! NO!

It seems like the top is so easy to take off and the plastic trim that has to be removed is so extraneous anyway, I never even use it. Why do so many ads advertise, "Top never been removed" ?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe because if the top never has been removed, there will be less wear on the top and less debris in the vehicle? I wish my 4Runner had a removable top =(. Maybe I should take after what 4Hummer did.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 AM

I have been doing all kinds of searches on Google for Soft tops, but I can't seem to find a price for any of them. I might head on down to the car accessories shop here in town and ask them about the soft tops, since I know a kid who got one for his Bronco from them.

Right now, I want to figure out a way to look at my module. The problem is, I can't get the tail gate down because the window is up, and I can't roll it down because the module is "broken". I'm not very tall, but I am not very slim, and getting into the very back has been a hassle, even with the back seats folded down, and when I was trying to find a way to get the module out, I couldn't really see any way. I am at a loss right now.

But, until the weather improves (it is now raining) or I have to give multiple people rides somewhere, my interior will look like this:

While I was back there attempting to look at the module, I cleaned it out.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

One thing I would add, Everytime I take my top off, I rub the weatherseals down with vasaline (Sp?) It helps keep them from drying out while the top is just laying around.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Taking the top off is easy as pie, but yes, awkward. I have a pulley and some cambuckle straps hung from the joinsts in my garage. It hangs there fine, and you can pull it high enough to pull right out from under it.

I wouldn't recommend vaseline or any petroleum lubes (KY is ok) because it will eventually cause the rubber seals to break down. An Armor All substance would be ok.

Yes, bolt A controls your window switch. And the wiring is simply a harness clip back in the driver's side corner of the cap.

Kayline (google search it) has the only soft top I've found, and they run about $600 last time I checked.

We go topless on the dunes pretty regularly. My kid loves it!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Yeah use a silicone substance on the rubber seals. That is better than petrol based stuff.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

There are a few soft top options: STC(formly Kayline) Can-Back, and someone here on YT is revamping the Sun-Top brand I think.
STC is around $600 shipped
Can-Back over $1000
Sun-Top ???
Old 04-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Cool

I just took off my top-It was super easy and straight forward (took about 15 minutes with a friend's help). The top IS quite heavy and awkward, a helper is almost a must. Don't worry about the wiring, the clip is obvious and easy to disconnect as is the tube for window washer fluid. As for soft tops, Kayline (as previously mentioned) makes a decent and affordable (as far as 4Runners go) top ($600-700), but I personally think it's ugly. The only other option (other than a Jeep bikini top from the cab to rollbar) is Can-Back. This top is the ultimate in looks, reliablility and comfort. They offer a handy roof rack option. The only downside- over $1,000! If I were you (and you REALLLY want a soft top), I would keep the hard top on and save up for the Can-Back, it is truely awesome! Check out http://www.can-back.com and http://www.off-road.com/toyota/reviews/softtop/ they have all the info you need about the 2 tops. The only good thing about the Kayline top-it's convertable like a Jeep, the Can-Back top can be removed from the frame (with much hastle), but the frame does not fold back like the Kayline. Good luck!
-Just so you know, none of the soft top info is from experience, but I have done a TON of research.
-marty

http://thejeep.com/stc/ Check this out, it's Kayline's (STC) page. I just found it. Good luck!

Last edited by marty4runner; 04-22-2006 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add one more thing!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

STC's website:

http://www.specialtytopco.com/

I had one on my '89 & loved it. I have one on order for my '85 as well.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 AM

It doesnt appear that my top was ever removed. i was curious if anyone had to replace the weather seals...I imagine they are pretty costly.
I would like to remove my top, but i'm afraid the seal may tear.

as for my tail gate window.. I took the rear TG panel & pulled the wire harness apart & jumped the motor to a portable battery & test leads to get it down initially.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:54 PM

i think the seals are mostly the standard thick black topper tape stuff...

Quick Reply: Removable top problems...