86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hydraulic winch

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydraulic winch

Has anybody used one of these? It is a novel idea, but I'm worried that the power steering pump would become short lived.

http://dodge.off-road.com/dodge/arti....jsp?id=194390
Old 10-10-2006, 04:14 PM

That exact 9k is hooked on the front of my 6000lb cruiser. The pump on my cuiser is crank driven and IMO probably has more out put than that of my mini. Given that, MileMarker only makes a hose fitting kit that bolts to the Land Cruiser pump, the kit will not work on a mini truck and MM claims the toyota pump is not rated and will only provide about 80% capacity. If you want to use that winch you may be down to the 70% capacity and need a custom fitting setup.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM

oh

Thanks. I was curious about that. I knew that there were some problems in the 3rd gen pumps, but I was not sure how stout the 2nd gen pumps are. I am not entirely sure that I can justify the purchase of a winch in the first place, thought it is nice to know my options.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Milemarkers have been around for a long time.
They're ok, if the ps pump is up to it.
Their real problem is their speed, or lack of it.
They are really, really slow.

If you're playing in the rocks, I'ld look to electric.

Fred
Old 11-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

A friend gave me a mile marker 9000 (I am guessing) off of his old 87 mini truck, I got all the hoses the solenoid, controller and winch itself. I am missing the plug that the controller goes into unfortunately. I looked at the mile marker site to see if they have the plug I need, but no luck. I will check to see if any of the dealers can get the parts I need.

I should not say free though. I put a new clutch/master/slave in his truck for him he offered the winch and brush guard as compensation.

1. They can be mounted on a 87 mini. so any onther IFS (2nd gen runner for example) sould be compatible. I dont know about the tacos and 3rd gens though.

2. My buddy said it worked for him once, no reports on longevity or effects on power steering.

3. He had it mounted on a Brush Guard and removed for goodness knows why, he said weight and approach. Whatever floats yer boat.

4. I would love an electric, but this opportunity presented itself, so I thought free slow winch is better than no winch.

I am interested to hear some more feedback on these puppies, I know, SLOW, but it fits with my theme: 3.slo.

I am curious if anyone has seen them fail and why.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

I ran a hydraulic on my last Heep. Nothing would stall it. You could chain rigs together and drag them up into the tree after you, if your cable would take it.

But, there was one MAJOR downside. If the engine isn't running, your winch isn't either. That means that if you swamp the rig, it stays. If you hydrolock the rig, it stays. If it's upside down, it stays...

That last one was enough to convince me to stick with electric.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 PM

I've been running a MileMarker 9,000 for a couple years now and it has let me down 3 times. Or should I say the stock PS pump has let me down since it doesn't provide enough pressure and just bypasses. Probably going to buy an aftermarket pump this week to hopefully remedy the problem. Friend of mine that used one with a GM pump never stalled it out and gave him years of good use. Downsides? yeah you gotta have the engine running but if you do get swamped or go wheels up, that's what the other guy you're wheelin' with is for right? I saw too many problems with electric winches, burning cables, alternators going bad and posts on the winch melting off that I decided to stick to hydro. It just seemed like the right choice for what I do.