Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How much our tranny's weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much our tranny's weigh?

Pullin the tcase and tranny out the 84, but I can't find my tranny jack, and all I have handy is my little 2ton floor jack. And that floor jack only extends about 18" vertical, so...

How heavy is that tranny? I'm wondering if I'll be able to bench it... Broken wrist and all
Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My friend was able to manhandle the tranny + t-case + crossmember on his chest... not sure if the 4cyl unit is lighter..probibly.. Giver!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't man handle it. Your back aint worth loseing over a friggen transmission mate.

I've done mine 4 times, 3 times alone. All but one I just used myself and a 2 ton floor jack with a piddily head on it and two ratchet straps. A board might help to on the head of the jack.

You could drain the fluid to make it lighter but totally not neccesary.

and then the last time I did it solo, I just used everything i had. Might as well!

Dont do it without a jack. That's just stupid imo
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM

If you're a big guy, you can handle it. My friend worked in an auto shop where they would bench press trannies into place for fun.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Yeah, I'm a pretty big guy. As long as the beast doesn't weigh over 300 I'll be able to bench it just fine.

I'd love to be able to use my floor jack (I already went to the gym today, don't feel like benching unless I have too lol), but, well you can see here what my issue is.

My truck isn't exactly stock height either...
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
If you're a big guy, you can handle it. My friend worked in an auto shop where they would bench press trannies into place for fun.
This is terrible advice.

Just because someone "can do something" doesn't mean they should. All you need is that trans to slip just the right way and cut off your finger, or something worse. Its not worth hurting yourself over just to be a "tough guy" who can bench press trannies into place. BTW, just because you can straight lift 300 lbs doesn't mean you can straight lift, then tilt, jiggle, bolt, and tighten that 300 lbs.

If you don't have the funds for a trans jack, at least use a hydraulic jack.

When Idanity and I did his trans, we used a jack as well as the two of us to insure fast and proper fitment, with zero injury.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 09-02-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Its not worth hurting yourself over just to be a "tough guy" who can bench press trannies into place. BTW, just because you can straight lift 300 lbs doesn't mean you can straight lift, then tilt, jiggle, bolt, and tighten that 300 lbs.

If you don't have the funds for a trans jack, at least use a hydraulic jack.
Easy there seabiscuit. I'm not trying to come off as some "tough guy" just because my genetics seem to indicate that my great-grand-something-or-another had a dalliance with a grizzly bear (haha, someone actually told me that a couple weeks ago).

And I have a tranny jack, I just can't find it (though more probable, one of my friends borrowed it and forgot to tell me).
Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not saying you were, i was talking about Nic. I know you aren't dumb enough to hurt yourself over a trans...or are you?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
it may not help much, but maybe deflate the tires, and if need be, then take out the sprints and just sit her on the bumpstops...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take the xfer case off first, and it's way lighter. The trans by itself is probably about 80#. Easy.

If you want to lower your truck a bit, just air down the tires
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM

I'm not saying you were, i was talking about Nic. I know you aren't dumb enough to hurt yourself over a trans...or are you?
Coug, ask thingy just how he broke his wrist. Then ask if he's dumb enuff to hurt himself on his tranny!!!!

Sorry swampy, couldn't resisit......lol
Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i had the same issue when i did my brother's clutch...... can it be done without a jack, yes. is it a PITA? absolutely. would i want to do it again? not really
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Use a Cherry Picker. eh?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
if nothing else, don't do it alone. is it worth the risk of trying to manhandle it yourself and losing your grip or it tilting back and landing on your face? i wouldn't risk that...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM

if you wanna buy me a plane ticket, ill come out there and give you a hand...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Coug, ask thingy just how he broke his wrist. Then ask if he's dumb enuff to hurt himself on his tranny!!!!

Sorry swampy, couldn't resisit......lol
WAAAAY uncool freak. I told yall, I forgot about the kickstand... 250# me + 500# bike = tiny bit more weight than one wrist can take.

There's a fine line between stupidity and redneckism

Originally Posted by 86tuning
Take the xfer case off first, and it's way lighter. The trans by itself is probably about 80#. Easy.

If you want to lower your truck a bit, just air down the tires
Yeah, that's probably a better idea, taking the tcase off first.

Originally Posted by NorCrawler
Use a Cherry Picker. eh?
That's a great idea. Could put the picker in through the door, and feed a strap through the shifter hole to hoist it down.

Might have to go borrow a picker tomorrow...

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
if nothing else, don't do it alone. is it worth the risk of trying to manhandle it yourself and losing your grip or it tilting back and landing on your face? i wouldn't risk that...
No biggy if it hits me in the chest. Not in the face though, that's how I makes my money haha

Originally Posted by space-junk
if you wanna buy me a plane ticket, ill come out there and give you a hand...
Haha. Sure, next time I hook up with a flight attendant I'll be sure to mail you a ticket lol.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 PM

ill hold you to that clint... =D say, how often DO you hook up with flight attendants? lol...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drop it on the ground. Problem solved.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
ill hold you to that clint... =D say, how often DO you hook up with flight attendants? lol...
Not nearly as often as I should be... Apparently my girlfriend frowns upon that kind of behavior.

Originally Posted by stormin94
Drop it on the ground. Problem solved.
Shoot man, if it turns that that my noise and vibration problem is something inside the tranny instead of just a TO bearing or something of that nature that's easily fixable, I'll end up doing much worse than just dropping it on the ground. I'm pretty sure I'll finally have something worth blowing up with these grenades my friend gave me last christmas.

Then I'll be callin dirtoyboy and complain that I haven't received my new tranny yet (even though I haven't even ordered one yet ).
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing
Shoot man, if it turns that that my noise and vibration problem is something inside the tranny instead of just a TO bearing or something of that nature that's easily fixable, I'll end up doing much worse than just dropping it on the ground. I'm pretty sure I'll finally have something worth blowing up with these grenades my friend gave me last christmas.
Just make sure to get plenty of pictures, so we can email the Sierra Club.

Quick Reply: How much our tranny's weigh?