86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hooking up winch power to optima batterie

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hooking up winch power to optima batterie

ok optimas batteries have top posts like all batteries and also have terminals in rear. i have a red top and have been told that i need to relocate me truck batteries cables to rear flat terminals and run the winch only off of the top posts of the batterie. I know ur batterie is only for starting the vehicle mainley. why do they say to only run the winch power to the top posts and not the rear?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dosent matter, top or rear, 1 of each.

Lamm
Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Might want to read this page before you listen to lamm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/winch/warn-1.htm
Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 PM

Never seen of that. There are vehicles that run 100% off of side terminals. Perhaps thay are not as strong, but I doubt it is a huge problem.

Most likely 1 owner experianced a problem and now this is Optima's policy.

Myself, The stock componets and winch are hooked up to the top posts with military battery terminals, everything else aftermarket (lights, radios, outlets) is off the sides.

Lamm
Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM

I run my OEM connection off the rear post, and all my accessories to the top post.

IIRC, the only reason the side terminals are there is to hook up OEM stuff, everything else should be run off the top posts, it why they are there. And most other batteries dont have top post, and most vehicles dont have winches... The top posts are way better, and are what need to be used on an Optime. I would move everything off the side posts but the OEM attachment.

Dont forget that if you use a chassis ground be sure to beef up the ground from the batt to the chassis...

Last edited by AH64ID; 09-26-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Having melted a strap myself, I can tell you that running high draw items like winches off the top posts and running the truck off the side posts is a good practice.

The strap that connects to the top posts has some resistance to it, while the top posts go right into the cells.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by weakyota91
ok optimas batteries have top posts like all batteries and also have terminals in rear. i have a red top and have been told that i need to relocate me truck batteries cables to rear flat terminals and run the winch only off of the top posts of the batterie. I know ur batterie is only for starting the vehicle mainley. why do they say to only run the winch power to the top posts and not the rear?
If you're really going to use your winch you should probably switch to a yellow top.
The red tops are not deep cycle and Optima won't warranty the red tops if used with a winch.
Also look into the Odyssey batteries. They are a totally dry cell battery, don't outgas, can be mounted in any position, and can even be mounted inside a vehicle.
In some of our experiences, they last much longer than the Optima's.
I've never gotten over 2 years out of an Optima, along with others that I run with that use or use to use them.

Lastly, don't connect the winch to the side post of the Optima's, only to the top post.

Best,
Fred

Last edited by FredTJ; 09-26-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Also look into the Odysset batteries. They are a totally dry cell battery, don't outgas, can be mounted in any position, and can even be mounted inside a vehicle.

I've never gotten over 2 years out of an Optima, along with others that I run with that use or use to use them.
IIRC, Optimas meet these same chareterisits, but are Gel cell.

Which optime do you use?

I have a yellow top that is going on 7 years, flawless. Its in its 3rd vehicle. I use it for winching, lighting, etc.... I even killed it dead, I mean dead, and it came back.... In 2004 I went to alaska for 6 weeks, so I parked the runner, covered it and went north. Little did I know I had left the dome light on. I came back to a melted dome light cover and no battery chagre (.010 is what the voltmeter said, I have more juice in me .025 from my tounge (I was curious). It took 4 battery chargers before one recognised it as a battery (a very expensive boat charger). It took 36 hours of charging for it to come back to life. Still works to this day flawlessly.

Sorry for the hijack.. but Optima's have earned my respect and will never own another battery.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 PM

thank you everybody that helped me out 110 percent with my question. always wondered thought it was what u had told me but had heard both sides. now im totally sure.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
IIRC, Optimas meet these same chareterisits, but are Gel cell.

Which optime do you use?

I have a yellow top that is going on 7 years, flawless. Its in its 3rd vehicle. I use it for winching, lighting, etc.... I even killed it dead, I mean dead, and it came back.... In 2004 I went to alaska for 6 weeks, so I parked the runner, covered it and went north. Little did I know I had left the dome light on. I came back to a melted dome light cover and no battery chagre (.010 is what the voltmeter said, I have more juice in me .025 from my tounge (I was curious). It took 4 battery chargers before one recognised it as a battery (a very expensive boat charger). It took 36 hours of charging for it to come back to life. Still works to this day flawlessly.

Sorry for the hijack.. but Optima's have earned my respect and will never own another battery.
Couple of things:

- Optima's do NOT meet the same specs.
a) They outgas
b) They are suppose to be mounted upside down
c) They are suppose to be mounted inside a vehicle

I'll used several Optima yellow tops and have never (along with a good number of other people that I wheel with out here in the SW) gotten over 2 years out of one.

I'll never use an Optima again after swithing to the Odyssey's..

Fred
Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WATRD
...The strap that connects to the top posts has some resistance to it, while the top posts go right into the cells.
huh? which battery terminals have the least resistance going straight into the cells?

And is this the norm on all dual post batteries?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:18 AM

I realize this i a little off topic.. but a few quick questions...

Couple of things:

a) They outgas
Thats got me confused.... Are you talking about optimas???

They cant outgas, unless a compleatly sealed case means something different to you than it does to me. They do have saftey valves built in for overcharging, but gassing is not a comon occurance. Something is wrong for them to gas, and if they gas they need to be replaced.

And where do you see they are supposed to be mounted upside down inside?

If you have some other info on this I would love to see it, its not covered on the Optima website.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
huh? which battery terminals have the least resistance going straight into the cells?

And is this the norm on all dual post batteries?
According to everything I have read over the years, Optima batteries want to see high amperage loads on the top terminals. I can't say if that is the same for other brands.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/winches/WarnX8000i.htm
http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/winch/warn-1.htm
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if the same goes for the Blue top? It doesn't have side terminals but the extra terminals are on top right next to the main posts.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Banned

I have been through 4 optimas in 6 years. They may not be junk but they are not what they are advertised to be.
An Odyssey battery is worth 10 optimas. If you are building a rig you really care about don't screw around with Optimas.
As for the battery cables. The top posts are the only posts that can handle the amp draw of a winch. The side posts are for small accessories with very little amp draw only. The design of the battery internals show why this is so. Don't need to be an electrical engineer to see that.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Banned

Couple of things:

a) They outgas

I'll used several Optima yellow tops and have never (along with a good number of other people that I wheel with out here in the SW) gotten over 2 years out of one.

I'll never use an Optima again after swithing to the Odyssey's..

Fred
That post is a little FUBARED.
Optimas are not DOT approved to be mounted inside of a vehicle.
You cannot mount them upside down and they will outgas.

Odyssey is the only battery I know of DOT approved to be mounted inside of the cab. I have two mammoth 2150's mounted inside my rig and I did my homework before I put them there. I have a newer Yellow top Optima underhood and when it goes (I give it 2 years max) I will also be replacing it with an Odyssey.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 AM

Well, there ya have it, best to put em' on top.

The rest of this thread, confusing.

Lamm
Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 AM

Couple of things:

a) They outgas

Fred

Huh? If they out gas and are ment to be mounted upside down, how the hell do you expect them to be made for mounting inside a vehicle! It'll just outgas the cab which doesnt sound right to me. Im lost on this post.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
I have a newer Yellow top Optima underhood and when it goes (I give it 2 years max)
What do you attribute to this loss?? I have done some pretty harsh stuff to mine, as you can read up a little higher, and its going on 7 years.. flawless. I have another buddy with one, 5 years and flawless. It the last thing I ever worry about.

I tried to look at the odyssey page earlier and i couldnt get it to open... sounds like a great battery...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:17 AM

Curious, cant find any documentation stating that the Odyssey batts are DOT leagal to be mounted in the cab. I know they are USDOT approved for easy shipping

Quick Reply: hooking up winch power to optima batterie