Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Home made long travel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home made long travel?

Hello

I have a 94 yota pickup that I plan on building long travel suspension for the front end.I don't have that much money to do this build so buying a kit is NOT an option.I plan on keeping it 4WD by using the T-100 Half-Shafts,and I am going to purchase a set of Fox 2.5 coil over shocks.

Anyways,I was wondering if anybody had any info,links,pics ect, of home made long travel suspension for the front end?

Also,What hard where am I going to need?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
ummmm...
look up the blazeland long travel kit.
either way, you're going to be spending some serious dough on suspension.
and, if you mess it up, you're going to be wishing you just dropped the cash for the system.

Also, would you trust your welding skills with your life?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 PM

I looked at the "blazeland" long travel.It had bad reviews on other forums and looks really dangerous.I don't want to even try modding the stock control arms.I want to build new control arms for my project.

Well not my welding skills but my Dads for sure.He has welded for about 35 years.he has welded on everything from quads to multi-million-dollar mining equipment.If I can't trust his welding skill I don't know if thing's should even be welded.

but thanx anyways.

Last edited by mxdubbs; 09-14-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im pretty sure there is some math behind LT kits??..maybe not..lol...

you could go about SORTA copying Total Chaos's Arms???..should be too hard..just make sure that the arms are STRONG..and build at least an extra UCA and LCA
Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM

How long are the chaosfab control arms?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
uhh..look on the website..im sure they have it listed..

like say it makes the front end wider by 3"..which means the arms are 1.5" longer on both sides..got it?..lol
Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Ummm
This is the only forum it's got reviews on, aside from the dezertracers forum, in which they fail to realise he has NO bumpstops meaning he can get the 12" of travel as described.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mxdubbs
I looked at the "blazeland" long travel.It had bad reviews on other forums and looks really dangerous.I don't want to even try modding the stock control arms.I want to build new control arms for my project.

Well not my welding skills but my Dads for sure.He has welded for about 35 years.he has welded on everything from quads to multi-million-dollar mining equipment.If I can't trust his welding skill I don't know if thing's should even be welded.

but thanx anyways.
good call there, that blazeland kit looks sketchy as hell.

Originally Posted by peow130
Ummm
This is the only forum it's got reviews on, aside from the dezertracers forum, in which they fail to realise he has NO bumpstops meaning he can get the 12" of travel as described.
yeah because the guys over on the "dezertracers forum" who actually build desert trucks have no clue what they are talking about.

Last edited by Robert m; 09-15-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM

I'm just saying, they're basing there reviews on false information.
He clearly states he gets 12" of travel without bumpstops, and they claim he can't get 12" with bumpstops.

He even claimed he got 8" of travel with bumpstops.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
if you are serious about building your own long travel kit then go over to race-dezert.com and dezertrangers.com and start searching and reading on the forums. its going to require a lot of work and even more trial and error with all the calculations to get the suspension to travel correctly but it can be done.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 PM

sweat,I'll try that out thanks!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wanted to design your own long travel I would invest in some heims for the ends for mock-up. We use an adjustable upper and lower control arm on our race car which allows us to make changes easily. Designing the mock up this way would allow you to put it together and cycle it a couple of times to see what it looks like. Then you can easily change it and try different lengths until you find the correct length. Once the length is established it should be pretty easy building a solid set of upper and lower control arms.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mxdubbs

but thanx anyways.
Bad reviews on other forums? Thats ridiculous! I keep up with all of my customers and all of them are 100% satisfied. I have tabs and records on every kit I've built and no one has obtained any for review or testing accept 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine, and that article has not been published yet, it comes out Nov. / Dec. 2009 issue. I would like to know where you read reviews on my kit? (specifically) There has been a great deal of design, testing, and prototyping involved in my kit. FYI- it is not possible to review something like this based on pictures and inaccurate hearsay. "Looks dangerous" and "sketchy" please I have personally logged thousands of miles over the past 5 years; and so have a decent number of Blazeland customers! You should re-think your slanderous banter, you don't know what your talking about. Re-visit my website and read through the 4 pages of yotatech discussion (not reviews) By the way, no one at yotatech has obtained a Blazeland kit to actually review. Why don't you be the first, and have your dad inspect it too, he can call me if he has concerns.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

got some close up pics of your arms?
and mabey a video of u jumping a truck with this setup?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ramtime
If you wanted to design your own long travel I would invest in some heims for the ends for mock-up. We use an adjustable upper and lower control arm on our race car which allows us to make changes easily. Designing the mock up this way would allow you to put it together and cycle it a couple of times to see what it looks like. Then you can easily change it and try different lengths until you find the correct length. Once the length is established it should be pretty easy building a solid set of upper and lower control arms.

This could give you some of the axis of the design, but the device it self cost as much as buying some arms all ready manufactured. It doesn't offer direct bolt on features to your yota or specific compatibility to replaceable, serviceable, inexpensive componants. If you have the equipment and experience, sure, try something like this! Also consider that you will spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of R&D to build a working prototype. Then when your done with that build a small production batch, put 10 of them on your friends trucks and have them test it as well. If nothing breaks at this point your on your way to find...... that few people are purchasing toys like this, no matter how good or how inexpensive it may be!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

can we see some pics of your a-arms not painted to see how they look?
how do the stock tie rod ends and ball joints hold up to the extreme angles your arms put them in?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 85excab
can we see some pics of your a-arms not painted to see how they look?
how do the stock tie rod ends and ball joints hold up to the extreme angles your arms put them in?
Here is an unpainted pic. The arms are showing a little surface rusting before sandblast and final powdercoat. The tie rod ends, and ball joints hold up fine. The travel is limited once bump stops are installed to about 10" under normal bumps. Under hard bottoming you may get another half inch of compressing either way. If you were to run the arms without bumpstops at all, it still wouldnt be "extreme" angles on the joints. Sure the components would wear out much quicker at the max. At the max (12" of travel) I feel a little resistance in the joints, but its minor. I have not experienced failures in the joints or ends.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 05-18-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

sweet a pic!!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 PM

I made a simple animation sequence of still photos. Make a folder and download the photos. Then view through quickly, clicking each one in a loop and you can see the range.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 05-18-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Cool, some useful pics! Now let's see it in action.

Nate, did you get any pics from MCR? Also, I hope you're bringing something for us to look at in Pismo!

Last edited by malteserunner; 09-18-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Home made long travel?