Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

High Beam Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright thanks thought it was the same but one of the two plugs is actually a little different, my lil buddy in parts was right again. I did dismantle my switch though, sanded the contacts and bent it to make a better connection, What did i have to lose it works now but for how long we will see. All together it only took me about an hour, the website mentioned earlier in the thread, http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo was helpful.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 95 4Runner has the same issue. Thought it was the switch in the steering column; this thread confirms it.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Same issue with my '93 4Runner - did it the first time this summer when I switched from low to high on a desert mountain road while doing 70mph - talk about freaky when you're suddenly in the total dark... Over the next two weeks, I noticed it working on and off, but now it's totally dead.

Checked relays and everything else, and it has to be the switch at the steering column. Same behavior as others have indicated: low beam fine, high beam dark, pull back on high beam flash works.

time to procure a new switch body...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This recently happened to me, although my problem seems worse. Not only do my highbeams not come on, but a few days later my turn signals do not work. It doesnt even show the indication on the dash for them, are these related? Going to take it apart and inspect the contacts tommorow
Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Bumping this thread rather than start a new one.

Is the combo switch the same on my 94 4Runner SR5 as the one listed at http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eadlight_Combo

I had the switch out and it looked different. It was more like a tictac container with a D pad switch. Do i need to take that apart?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Same basic idea, there is a metal pad that has to make contact and complete a circuit. The metal gets worn/corroded, and the pads don't make adaquete contact anymore.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder why Toyota never issued a recall on this. It seems like it would be important to see where you are driving at night.

Mine does it too, but only rarely. More frequently, the high beams will just cut out while I'm driving. I have to jiggle the switch, then they work again.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Not sure, have only seen the switch (pictured) in my '85.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by stormin94
I wonder why Toyota never issued a recall on this. It seems like it would be important to see where you are driving at night.

Mine does it too, but only rarely. More frequently, the high beams will just cut out while I'm driving. I have to jiggle the switch, then they work again.
Vehicle manufacturers can't put a recall on every part of a vehicle that fails, since eventually everything will fail. In a 20 year old 4Runner, its not unreasonable to expect that parts will start to fail.

You wouldn't expect them to put a recall on your starter if it failed after 20 years would ya?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had three 80's runners and they all have done it. It's the switch, one I sanded the greenish corrosion off the pins another had to get a new combo switch found at a junk yard (mini-trucks in San Diego).
Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 PM

Got it fixed tonight. Yes you have to carefully pry the back of the switch apart and then you can see those "arms" with the points that need to be sanded down. I used some emery cloth and it worked just fine.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Vehicle manufacturers can't put a recall on every part of a vehicle that fails, since eventually everything will fail. In a 20 year old 4Runner, its not unreasonable to expect that parts will start to fail.

You wouldn't expect them to put a recall on your starter if it failed after 20 years would ya?
Why not? They issued a recall on floormats, and the frames of some older trucks. Being able to see where you're going at night is kind of important for safety......
Old 06-22-2010, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
double post deleted

Last edited by yotarover; 06-22-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 AM

haha i got pulled over last night it was dark as hell couldn't see.. high beams (gotta flick the switch a few times then they come on) haha funny part as i pass a small bend i was flicking it no head lights for a few secs then boom blue lights gave me a ticket for no head lights i looked at him and i said i have head lights see something just went crazy with the switch, he wasn't buying it so i said look my truck is older than that vic your driving and things are just surfacing it's a classic! needless to say he let me go

only catch was i had to drive offroad or get towed of course i picked off through the field (with head lights now )

now the funny part (this cop drives a jeep) pretty nice jeep but aint my thang anyways im sure he said if i had a jeep it wouldn't have happened

and i never see his jeep muddy or dirty?

Last edited by yotarover; 06-22-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by stormin94
Why not? They issued a recall on floormats, and the frames of some older trucks. Being able to see where you're going at night is kind of important for safety......
They didn't issue the recall because the floormats were wearing out, they issued a recall because they got jammed under the pedal.

The switch wearing out is not a manufacturing defect, its a wear issue. You can still see perfectly fine at night without high beams. That would be like saying you can't drive on the freeway if your cruise control is broken. High beams, like a heater, AC, sunroof, etc are a luxury not a necessity for your survival.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm having a similar problem.

Night one low beams stopped working, dash high beam indicator was on when hi/lo beams were engaged.

Night two low beams stopped working.

day three. I tore down the combo switch, cleaned all contacts and re-soldered the wire in the pic. Lights passed function test so I put it back together. (hazards didn't work prior, they still don't at this point but now buzz/click when I engage them).

Night three hi/lo beams failed just about instantly(buzzing, clicking, flickering, then out). Now the hi beam indicator on the dash is also out. I'm about to tear it back down and check it again, anything else i should check? could this be a relay issue now?

83 pickup.

update.

day four.

tried shaking wires to no avail. As soon as I unbolted the switch the lights strated working again. looked over everything, found no issues.
messed with the hazards for a while. seems to be a flasher relay issue- got them to work a few times but mostly the relay goes crazy if i mess with it while they are on.
once the lights were on started shaking wires again and found the right engine compartment loom knocking the lights out. Replaced a bad wire to the battery. See how long they work this time.......

Last edited by ivsamhell; 06-28-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
They didn't issue the recall because the floormats were wearing out, they issued a recall because they got jammed under the pedal.

The switch wearing out is not a manufacturing defect, its a wear issue. You can still see perfectly fine at night without high beams. That would be like saying you can't drive on the freeway if your cruise control is broken. High beams, like a heater, AC, sunroof, etc are a luxury not a necessity for your survival.
I don't think I mentioned it, but my headlights shut off completely, not just low beams I meant headlights in general.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 PM

Old great thread...
Fixed my combo switch two days ago... Didnt have High beams...
working good so far, I had also a desoldered wire like ivsamhell...
Be sure you sanded the platinum points enough... my fix didnt work until I sanded them for the second time...
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by morena67
Old great thread...
Fixed my combo switch two days ago... Didnt have High beams...
working good so far, I had also a desoldered wire like ivsamhell...
Be sure you sanded the platinum points enough... my fix didnt work until I sanded them for the second time...
Good job fixing the switch.

However, poor wiring design still exposes the switches to unnecessarily high currents (read 4crawler's write-up) and could still case cause you same problem, especially if you use higher than normal wattage bulbs.
H4 conversion harness is the quick and simple fix to that problem.