Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HHO (Hydrogen Oxygen) gas on demand setup

Old 04-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thermodynamics

+1 eric the red. and electrical work required to split H20 vapor comes from shaft work delivered to the alternator indirectly from the shaft work produced by the engine which obtains its energy from cv work- the expansion (explosion) of oxgen and gas.

Like eric said, ideally the net gain is zero. Because internal resistance and degredation exists throughout the cycle and no cycle operates at maximum efficiency, this cannot work.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned

about 40% of the gasoline you burn is completely wasted in the process of becoming mechanical energy. Primarily this energy loss is in the form of heat. Consider the entire cooling system is designed to deal with this waste. Find a use for the heat that will add it back to the goal of maximizing mechanical energy and you will be onto something.

Or use solar energy at your house to make the hydrogen and compress it into a storage tank and burn that in your ride.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt they try this on mythbusters and it did absoutely nothing?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 PM

HHO? last time i checked they called that water

the one thing im wondering is, how does the engine work harder when there is more of an electrical draw? i mean the alternator is still spinning just the same
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
didnt they try this on mythbusters and it did absoutely nothing?
dunno.

i was to busy saving images of Kari Byron in the spank bank.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by renofox
I am currently working on adding a HOD (hydrogen on demand) system to my 92 4runner.
If you are not familiar with this technology please check out 'water4gas' or google search 'HHO'. there is a decent amount of information out there.

I am not a mechanic but I can follow directions. I'm using the manuals from water4gas to modify my truck.. where i'm at.

- I built the device that generates the HHO gas. pretty cool. this is not electrolysis, it has something to do with disassociating electrons or wave patterns. electrolysis takes a lot more electricity. it's a simple jar with vacuum hoses pumping the gas into the air intake or the intake manifold.

- essentially the HHO leaked into the air intake causes a much more efficient explosion (ran thru a bubbler of water to cool the engine).

- now that my explosions are extremely efficient, i have no need for such rich gas. so the next step is to trick the vehicle into running lean. there are 2 things to consider here, O2 sensors and the Mass Airflow Sensor (VAFM box thinggy). the manual i have for water4gas uses a MAP sensor which is different.

- the addition of the HHO makes the exhaust more oxygen rich i'm guessing? I don't fully understand how to trick or adjust the VAFM

OK, HELP!

- where would be the ideal place to pump in the HHO gas, i'm guessing in front of the VAFM so it can be 'sensed'
- how do I trick the 2 (i think) O2 sensors to keep the truck running lean?

I realize very few people have boldly gone where no, uh, alternative fuel has gone before, but this is my truck, i love it and I'll be danmed if i don't try to get the 60% fuel economy out of this system. I was thinking if i could get this going it would be superfreak to get a truck running on just HHO. It's been done by Daniel Dingle, check out the link http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00534056295175 theres been a few out there. another by STANLEY MEYER.

this is all crazy suppressed cutting edge fun. I joined the forum to try and see what's if we put our heads together. I have a camera & i figure I would document the process on this truck with pictures & videos.

If anybody needs 'more info' on the install process, just ask. I found this guy a great resource so far http://www.livevideo.com/byte312 How supercool would you be if you had a 3.slow that got better pickup & 40mpg+???
I'm curious and enterested on how it works out.

You can trick the engine to run lean by opening the AFM top and turning the the black plastic gear counter clockwise. We turn it clockwise to ricken it a RV cam is installed. Use caution if you screw up and it unwinds you'll never get it back to adj. Mark it before you change it so you can put it back.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM

I guess the best way to test this is hook it up to a battery blow air into it light a match at the other end if it ignites then thats a start.
if you lean out any car you will see a improvement of gas mileage but you will lose power as a result. so it is easy for them to say you will get better gas mileage,

I have some stainless steel counter top laying around I think I may make this just to see if it produces enough gas to make a flame.
part1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8stApCmxYEM&feature=related
part2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h75_TGiwg78&feature=related
news clip about his car
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L6yRn4IAsrU&feature=related

Last edited by CyMoN; 04-14-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 AM

the engine works harder when the alternator is producting charge because the alternator does not spin for free either. spinning a magnet aroung a coil of wire induces a charge in the wire but the cost is an applied continuous force to the magnet. just as a force on a magnet can be induced by running charge through a cirucuit. that force to move the magnet is drawn off the engine.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by notanymore
HHO? last time i checked they called that water

the one thing im wondering is, how does the engine work harder when there is more of an electrical draw? i mean the alternator is still spinning just the same
Yes the alternator is spinning constantly, however there is a clutch that kicks in when the batt drops below a certain voltage, just because its spinning does not mean its always producing power. I have been thinking about ways to make my engine more efficient also, and as someone has posted already, it would seem the best way to generate more energy would be from the wasted energy we already have HEAT!! I have even thought about an electro magnetic type engine, but then you get into the whole perpetual motion thingy... please post how this works out!

Last edited by Team420; 04-15-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here you go. Most efficient engine set up ever. Convert this to HHO, and you will have a very clean, very efficient engine.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Team420
Yes the alternator is spinning constantly, however there is a clutch that kicks in when the batt drops below a certain voltage, just because its spinning does not mean its always producing power. I have been thinking about ways to make my engine more efficient also, and as someone has posted already, it would seem the best way to generate more energy would be from the wasted energy we already have HEAT!! I have even thought about an electro magnetic type engine, but then you get into the whole perpetual motion thingy... please post how this works out!
huh? no its always producing power when its spinning so long as there is some voltage in your batt to get 'er started. the voltage regulator controls the strength of the electo mags which creates more/less amperage based on demand, which in turn regulates the voltage (ohm's law)...thats a really simplified explanation, but its always producing power when spinning.

just to give you an idea of the engine power required:
60amp(peak) x 14 volts = 840 watts
assuming that it produces electricity off the engine @ 100% efficiency (it doesn't) it takes about 1.12 hp

theres a reason they dont try to extract extra heat energy from the exhaust. its not worth the weight added. If you look at ships they typically have an extra boiler system that takes some of the waste heat out of the stack.

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 04-15-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:00 AM

Unless there is some crazy catalyst action we have yet to know about--THE #1 law of thermal dynamics kicks this thing to the curb.

I have always wanted to harness the power/heat that is wasted in running a motor. One idea i have had is to use the exhaust to

1. Produce Steam and use it towards moving vehicle or turn a generator to make electricity

2. Just Use the exahuast to turn a generator that would charge batteries...

There are many issues i know--These are just hair brained ideas.....
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
huh? no its always producing power when its spinning so long as there is some voltage in your batt to get 'er started. the voltage regulator controls the strength of the electo mags which creates more/less amperage based on demand, which in turn regulates the voltage (ohm's law)...thats a really simplified explanation, but its always producing power when spinning.

just to give you an idea of the engine power required:
60amp(peak) x 14 volts = 840 watts
assuming that it produces electricity off the engine @ 100% efficiency (it doesn't) it takes about 1.12 hp

theres a reason they dont try to extract extra heat energy from the exhaust. its not worth the weight added. If you look at ships they typically have an extra boiler system that takes some of the waste heat out of the stack.
sorry yes..it is always producing power...there is a clutch in there though, usually when u accelerate the clutch kicks out..so as not to overproduce power, unless there is a demand for more power, such as the hho kit, then it would not kick out, and be locked in longer, thus creating more drag on the engine and using more fuel...I believe this is accurate...what i was taught at school any way.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 AM

Ok everyone has been talking about how the alternator works and how much "fuel it uses, to create the energy needed" but does anyone know how much energy is actually needed to produce hydrogen gas? is it enough that it would actually run the alternator that much more. I know I started the alternator talk so I guess I'll chip in a bit more. My thinking is, assuming the hho gas can replace some of the gasoline needed and it doesn't take that much energy to produce the gas then you could in theory improve your gas mileage some. even if the improved mpg is just from your engine running leaner, well I guess that is the whole theory behind this.

leaner running engine+substituting hho for the decreased gas input=improved MPG

oh and I think some people are thinking H2O and HHO are the same thing, they are not. HHO is water in it's gaseous form, after the 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen molecules have been separated.

Last edited by irish80prf; 04-15-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Just to toss in another wrinkle in the fabric of space-time here...
depending on the amt of power required to run the hho generator you could supliment the alternator with a solar panel on the roof of the vehicle. The net weight and drag addition would be minimal while the "free" energy generated [during daylight hours at least] would offset the increased load on the engine.
I agree nothing is free but I'm interested to see where this all goes.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by irish80prf
Ok everyone has been talking about how the alternator works and how much "fuel it uses, to create the energy needed" but does anyone know how much energy is actually needed to produce hydrogen gas? is it enough that it would actually run the alternator that much more. I know I started the alternator talk so I guess I'll chip in a bit more. My thinking is, assuming the hho gas can replace some of the gasoline needed and it doesn't take that much energy to produce the gas then you could in theory improve your gas mileage some. even if the improved mpg is just from your engine running leaner, well I guess that is the whole theory behind this.

leaner running engine+substituting hho for the decreased gas input=improved MPG

oh and I think some people are thinking H2O and HHO are the same thing, they are not. HHO is water in it's gaseous form, after the 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen molecules have been separated.
It doesn't really matter how much energy it takes to make hydrogen and oxygen from the water, it's still more than you'd get back by recombining that hydrogen and oxygen in the engine, therefore you have a net energy loss = less efficiency.

And if the hydrogen and oxygen molecues/atoms have been seperated in the gaseous form then you don't have HHO gas, you have a mixture of H2 and O2, ie 2 seperate gases. Not some magical non-existent molecule dreamed up with the sole purpose of seperating people from their money.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 AM

Calling it HOH is technically not incorrect. I can take a simple acid like acetic acid, rearange the molecules so that there is an H+ that is singled out at the beginning or the end, to jog my memory that this is the acid (hydrogen ion donor). Written as HOH it is hydro-oxylic acid. Which is what we should call water since it is a solvent.

So does any of this work?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 AM

So after about ten minutes of thinking I don't think this HOD stuff would work.

First problem - while you can heat water with electricity it isn't that easy to separate the hydrogen-oxygen bond. You are creating water vapor. Change of state but nonetheless still water.

Second - Hydrogen is highly flamable. An engine needs to be designed to inject very specific amounts of H+ if it is going to use this as a fuel.

third - Hydrogen as an ion will rapidly bind to whatever is available. So you inject it into your combustion chamber - then add the injected fuel - and very likely a lot of it will recombine with the available oxygen and the fuel to change the chemicals. It won't remain by itself long enough to be an effiecient fuel. Under pressure it will want to recombine even faster. so...

This is why the car companies are making hydrogen fuel specific vehicles. Without introducing any other chemicals into the combustion process then yes we can get combustion.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Victor
So after about ten minutes of thinking I don't think this HOD stuff would work.

First problem - while you can heat water with electricity it isn't that easy to separate the hydrogen-oxygen bond. You are creating water vapor. Change of state but nonetheless still water.
The process used is electrolysis, not heat. It converts water to Brown's Gas, which it HHO.

Second - Hydrogen is highly flamable. An engine needs to be designed to inject very specific amounts of H+ if it is going to use this as a fuel.
Brown's gas is also highly flammable. One reason to let people that are aware of the danger of such a gas experiment, rather than someone that can read instructions.

third - Hydrogen as an ion will rapidly bind to whatever is available. So you inject it into your combustion chamber - then add the injected fuel - and very likely a lot of it will recombine with the available oxygen and the fuel to change the chemicals. It won't remain by itself long enough to be an effiecient fuel. Under pressure it will want to recombine even faster. so...
Realise that a gasoline combustion engine in effect is burning the hydrogen that is stored in the gasoline, the byproduct of which is the carbon in this hydrocarbon (gasoline).

This is why the car companies are making hydrogen fuel specific vehicles. Without introducing any other chemicals into the combustion process then yes we can get combustion.
The car companies are not making hydrogen cars that burn the hydrogen. They combine the hydrogen with oxygen, which in turn creates electricity. Search for GM's Hy-Wire.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM

I am by no means a chemist or expert. Those are just my thoughts. I did do a couple of Google searches and nothing came up.

I like data. Someone please post up some MPG figures, dyno runs would be awesome also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHO (Hydrogen Oxygen) gas on demand setup