Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help w/Wiring -remote starter and MSD 6A (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/Wiring -remote starter and MSD 6A (Pics)

OK, I've had trouble with my starter and have been testing a lot of options. After testing my Starter found it was good. Tested my Ignition coil and it was out of spec. Everything else is in working order, so I decided to replace it with an MSD ignition and then also install the Painless wiring remote starter solenoid.

Now my questions are regarding the "splicing" of the connectors. I'm asking 2 questions here so bare with me:

first - the painlesswiring

Where do I connect the "1 clip hot lead" from the bottom of the starter to? I'm thinking it will go to the Purple connector. Also does it look like I'm missing any connections for this to work? Here is a pic of the actually unit:

Next and after this is finished, my MSD-6a ignition. Do I remove the entire Igniter coil or will I still need it connected "inline" with the new equipment. Where do I splice the "red and White" lines into? see illustration - into the 2 wire red and white connector? Then what about the larger connectore behind it?

Sorry so long and so many pics but any help would be appreciated. The only manual I have is online and teh Haynes manual. I guess I should learn to read wiring diagrams better before starting this Huh?

Thanks in advance
-=Morphine=-
Old 02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
On my Painless kit, I just spliced the relay coil into the starter solenoid wire, per the Painless directions. So the small wire that ran to the starter now goes to the relay coil (other side grounded). Then the output of the relay contact goes to the starter solenoid.