86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help get this truck back on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help get this truck back on the road!

Hello guys, I have a 94 Toyota pickup with the 22re. I had the typical problem with the timing chain guide breaking and getting chain tap. I immediately took it home and parked it. I got a good deal on a brand new lce engineering double roller timing chain upgrade kit and installed it. New double chain, metal guides, water pump and oil pump.

I installed it being careful of timing and all and got it all back together and it's starts up fine and idles good, but has a slight miss. The worst part is when I go to take off it just has no power and can't go past second or thirst. It just bogs down. I haven't had the time to tear it back down and go through it yet. But before I do I was trying to get information from folks who have had years of experience with this motor and what to check first before parts are thrown at it. If you need more info just ask. Thanks alot
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 PM

Also to add, I replaced plugs and wires and then pulled out the ol timing gun and messed with timing and would drive it and you could notice a slight difference but still not drivable but to the end of street and back I probably can't get over 10 mph
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It is easy to get the distributor in wrong by a tooth. I would double check that. All hoses connected and routed correctly, no air leaks? If it is idling well but wont rev, is it getting plenty of fuel? How long did it set before you replaced the Timing Chain?

I would pull one plug wire at a time and see if I could find out if the miss is on one cylinder or is it on all cylinders?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
It is easy to get the distributor in wrong by a tooth. I would double check that. All hoses connected and routed correctly, no air leaks? If it is idling well but wont rev, is it getting plenty of fuel? How long did it set before you replaced the Timing Chain?

I would pull one plug wire at a time and see if I could find out if the miss is on one cylinder or is it on all cylinders?
Okay cool I will check distributor, and I do believe I routed all hoses right but there is alot of vacuum hoses. Know of a diagram on the Internet? And yeah so idles well and will Rev but has a slight hesitation and when driving it will Rev but still slight hesitation but just no power. And it set about a week before I did timing chain job on it, but after completed its been about 6 months, just haven't had time but I'd like to get it back on the road to enjoy her. I will check the stuff above and get back to you
Old 05-31-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87

So I checked distributer and top dead center was pointing perfectly to number 1, and even took it out and turned it a tooth to the right and it wouldn't start but I think I need a new battery I tested it out and it's just crap. So that where I stand until I pick up a battery. Any more tips would be awesome. More the better