Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP. First 4runner is dead

Old 04-13-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP. First 4runner is dead

Alright. I bought an almost mint condition 86 4runner for 800 bucks. Its been to 3 different mechanics, stumped them all. It has the 22re 5spd. Itll fire right up, but die within seconds. It has a brand new coil, the dist. cap isnt worn, its getting fuel (i replaced the fuel pump and it engages when you turn the key and stays engaged when it running). Put a brand new afm on. Its getting spark, i did the plug test. No fuses are blown. And its starting to stump me. Any ideas?? Thanks

Last edited by LFTDrunner; 04-13-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vafm?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:10 PM

haha sorry, im new to toyotas, and have no service manual. where is that located? If thats the airflow meter on the intake box, i replaced it. Thanks for your help

Last edited by LFTDrunner; 04-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 PM

Ive ran every vacuum line and gaskets, cant find a vacuum leak either. Im STUMPED.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 AM

Bumpp. Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay I will throw some things out there. I had a 2nd gen but am no mechanic....

It is an 86 and you say the 22re so I take that to mean fuel injection. You say it is getting spark, so that leaves air or gas to finish the equation.

Where are you getting spark? at each and every spark plug connection to the wire?

The symptoms you describe are exactly what occurred to me when I failed to reconnect the airbox (and I believe that includes the AFM) to the wiring harness-sometimes after change out of the air filter. I am presuming that is connected and is not damaged on the inside pins..... I have seen them mashed in place and cross connected slightly-the connector in good shape and clean and dry and all of that?

I am guessing it is indeed a fuse. Perhaps you are thinking you can always spot a bad fuse but I know they have fooled me before looking just fine.

These are Toyota certified mechanics?- this does not sound all that difficult-easy for me to say I realize....
Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM

Was the truck running when you first got it? Have you checked to make sure that the plug wires are connected to the correct spark plug? Sounds kinda silly but I also had a similar problem before with my old blazer, replaced a lot of parts like you did trying to figure it out. Couldn't get it to stay running for the life of me. Then later on realized that the previous owner messed up the order of the plug wires, so the firing order was all messed up.

I agree with Ron, since it has a brand new fuel pump, It's most likely Air or Spark related.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM

If the AFM isn't working, or is disconnected, the engine will fire and die right away. This would be #1 check - swap with a known good one.

Another guess, but I did work for Toyota for a few years. The ignition coil may have a "confirmation" wire that feeds back to the ECU. It detects the coil's field collapse and sends a signal back to the ECU to confirm ignition has taken place. If that wire misses 4 pulses in a row, the ECU will stop grounding the coil and the engine will stop. I only saw it once, but we were on it for 2 days trying to chase that bugger down.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This the basic troubleshooting guide from the '93 FSM. Even though your's is an '86, most of this still applies.....particularly under the designated symptoms.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../3troubles.pdf

Here is the main page. From there, you can browse the PDF manual pages to follow the suggestions from the troubleshooting guide.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Did you notice at any point when the engine was running if the check engine light was flashing? If not, that doesn't necessarily mean there's not a stored code in the ECU. It may not have been running long enough to signal an error. Even still, the CEL should flash when you turn the key to ignition...if there's a code. To check for one anyway, follow the instructions here:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html
Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM

I bet it's the afm. Don't get a new one get a OEM used one. Same thing happened to me. Took me a week to figure out new aftermarket afm's crap out as soon as they're put in. Swapped in a '94 runner's and its been golden ever since.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I picked it up doing this. The oem afm was the first part i picked up. ive checked the plug in pins, everythings fine. Checked every fuse, theyre all fine, even replaced the efi fuse. I got it to run for about 7 seconds, and yes a check engine light did come on, but it doesnt flash when the keys in the on position. How do i try/fix the coil confirmation wire theory? The plug wires are on the right plugs, it purrs when it starts and doesnt miss at all.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by LFTDrunner
Thanks for your help guys. I picked it up doing this. The oem afm was the first part i picked up. ive checked the plug in pins, everythings fine. Checked every fuse, theyre all fine, even replaced the efi fuse. I got it to run for about 7 seconds, and yes a check engine light did come on, but it doesnt flash when the keys in the on position. How do i try/fix the coil confirmation wire theory? The plug wires are on the right plugs, it purrs when it starts and doesnt miss at all.
Alright, i figured id just add on to this thread instead of starting a new one. I had my girlfriend start it (while i had my afm diconnected from the filter box), and right when it would start, i would push the flap forwards on the afm about halfway open, and it would stay running! Its a brandnew afm though, and when the key is on, i can push it and itll pump gas. So anyone have any ideas?? Is the afm bad?? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM

shot in the dark: Check the rubber couplers between AFM and intake, if one is cracked it won't pull the AFM barn door open.

I too would find a known good AFM and test with that also test the wires between it and the comp. You say you replaced this...from Toyota? That's an $800 part! I got recon one on feebay for $75, but OEM ones are expen$ive

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 05-06-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:40 PM

I had the same exact problem with mine and it was the afm somehow moisture got into the little box and fried it. got another at the junk yard for 45$ and it started right up.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks for your help!
I replaced it with an oem one, cost me about 140, but it was autozone garbage so thats why im a little iffy on it. I wish i could find a good known one, couldnt find another 22re around here! Junkyards had nothing either.
But i checked the couplers, all good.
But i made a hardpipe intake (metal). It was ghetto and i held it together, but it idled!
Ill make one tomorrow and see how it goes!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM

Copied from eBay;

Toyota 4Runner, 2.4L intake hose, Brand New

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOYOTA-TRUCK-4RUN...ayphotohosting
Buy it now: $22.95
Item number: 290228165506

I have no affiliation with this seller

Last edited by Noltz; 05-06-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Picture fixed