Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP: Fan Pulley Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I had a fan bracket go out far, far from home, and had to pay a reputable local mechanic to replace it. I didn't get an "explosion," as soon as the bracket starts to crack it takes all the tension off the belts. I smoked one belt and nibbled on the edge of the fan blade, but no more (didn't even scratch up the radiator). I suppose if you were turning 7,000 rpm it might be worse, but I find it hard to believe you could break a fan blade. And how much damage can a plastic blade do, anyway?

I chose the aftermarket part, and that was many years ago. I'm sure the $700 Toyota part is "better," and it might last 20 years instead of 15. But 15 is more than enough for me. I'm sure that there are "bad" parts out there, but in my opinion you're not going to identify them by saying "all aftermarket parts are bad."

Just one man's opinion.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
I had a fan bracket go out far, far from home, and had to pay a reputable local mechanic to replace it. I didn't get an "explosion," as soon as the bracket starts to crack it takes all the tension off the belts. I smoked one belt and nibbled on the edge of the fan blade, but no more (didn't even scratch up the radiator). I suppose if you were turning 7,000 rpm it might be worse, but I find it hard to believe you could break a fan blade. And how much damage can a plastic blade do, anyway?

I chose the aftermarket part, and that was many years ago. I'm sure the $700 Toyota part is "better," and it might last 20 years instead of 15. But 15 is more than enough for me. I'm sure that there are "bad" parts out there, but in my opinion you're not going to identify them by saying "all aftermarket parts are bad."

Just one man's opinion.
There is a lot of energy in that little plastic rotating fan blade. Don't believe me? Start your truck, let it warm up so the fan clutch is engaged, get someone to hold the revs at 4000 rpm, and grab the fan blade with your hand. If you do it quick... it shouldn't hurt too much. Seriously, though. Failures of the bracket/blade have dented some hoods, and destroyed radiators.

Nobody said all aftermarket parts are bad. With the fan bracket, however, there are more bad aftermarket parts than good ones. All people are saying is don't get too excited about having found a "great deal" on a fan bracket.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I can't tell you the number of radiators, fan shrouds, batteries, and hoods I have sold to people with exploding fan blades and brackets. The number one cause of all the destruction is the design of the 88-93 Fan blade. The extra ring around the outside causes an unstable condition, and they seperate at the inner attachment points. Then they go boom. I have seen it with my own eyes. I KNOW it happens, so its really not so hard to believe

And that is how I know it happens to cheap aftermarket pot metal brackets as well. Cheap taiwan bearings fail prematurely, lock up, and the fan support bracket explodes.

You might not think plastic could cause much damage given that its soft. But being plastic makes little difference when inertia is involved. Anything spinning at even 4k rpm is going to cause big damage if it shatters.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Says who?
LOL, Oh I see you must be in the used parts business.

Actually when I did my second timing belt on my truck, I checked this bearing, and it had too much free spin and some play, so I sourced one from a wrecker. I did not look online for one and I do not think they had these widely available in the aftermarket a few year ago. I was so happy the used fan bracket was nice and tight from the wrecker and I thought it would last a long time. It lasted 2 years, about the same as the used blower that I also replaced used. I paid good money for these used parts.

The ASIN part is a huge find, I hope they have more than a couple. Some of the ebay non-Aisin suppliers do give a lifetime warranty to this part. Tha Aisin has a 2-year warranty. The warranty from the wrecker is 30-90 days ... I forget?

I must say I fully support the aftermarket in sourcing this part and saving the toyota world from toyota's most expensive parts scam. I think a $700 part would be more than these engines in our trucks are worth. Everyone still on an original fan bracket should check their bearings, since when "not if" it fails, you will be stranded, and may be left with only an OEM sourced parts and labor at the stealership....ouch, $700 price would be from a nice dealer.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Staff

$700 is way too much, that we can all agree on. Someone at Toyota was high on meth when he hit the "7" instead of the "2"

I am not saying all aftermarket is bad. But, in aftemarket parts, you get what you pay for. You want cheap? You're going to get cheap. Best bet is to do some research, and find out what materials they are made from, and where they are made.

Used parts can be a crapshoot as to their failure time, but you are also getting them at a severly discounted rate. $75 for a used fan bracket is better than $700 for a new OEM one. I have a used fan bracket in my 89 4Runner that has been there for 4+ years with no issues.

Btw, in relation to "lifetime" warranties....some companies do indeed give lifetime warranties. However, you have to think of the quality of the parts they are selling you, and how often people own vehicles. The average person only owns a vehicle for ~5 years. Parts stores count on that, and thus warranties are not transferable. They can afford to offer lifetime warranties because A. They are so CHEAP to build/buy, and they know 95% of people won't cash in the warranty. The lifetime parts also cost more $$$, to make up the difference when people do cash them in.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 AM

Just a thought: has anyone explored the possibility of pressing a new bearing into the factory housing? I don't have one handy, so I can't immediately tell if this is possible or not. could the old one be pressed out?
Mine is due for the whole T-belt, W-pump deal this month.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Staff

I believe this has been attempted, and all it does is ruin the housing.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 AM

I think my fan bracket just went out. I was looking online for a replacement and found a few. The ones that I was looking at all say they are die cast aluminum. Would they be required to say that it was pot metal if it was?
Just trying to save some money, not sure where to go for the best part besides the dealership.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Staff

If they state they are cast aluminum, i would trust it. I don't think they can use pot metal and get away with calling it aluminum. It should be pretty obvious right out the outset.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutlawMike
You can do this, easily. Start hitting those 4x nuts on the fan with PB blaster now, and every day, twice a day for a few days, that will make it easier to get them off. That is really the most difficult part of the job, those damn nuts that you cannot get a socket on.

Good luck,

Mike

I dunno what socket set you're using but I use 1/2" husky sockets and get all 4 of them off in a jiffy. You know the fan shroud comes off before the fan then you can get to the nuts that way.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 24Runna
I dunno what socket set you're using but I use 1/2" husky sockets and get all 4 of them off in a jiffy. You know the fan shroud comes off before the fan then you can get to the nuts that way.
He's talking about IF you don't take the fan off.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 PM

hey my fan bracket just went out ( locked up and made the nastiest noise ive heard in a bit ) so i called the stealership first and they quoted me $820, and i laughed at the guy. then he explained that it also comes with the fan clutch. so since i dont need the clutch i went looking for an aisin replacement on Ebay and found em for a decent price i just got mine for $115

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=200415884596

the same guy also has different years as well this was just for my truck

Last edited by to4menon4u; 12-26-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: i cant spell werth nuthin
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by to4menon4u
hey my fan bracket just went out ( locked up and made the nastiest noise ive heard in a bit ) so i called the stealership first and they quoted me $820, and i laughed at the guy. then he explained that it also comes with the fan clutch. so since i dont need the clutch i went looking for an aisin replacement on Ebay and found em for a decent price i just got mine for $115

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=200415884596

the same guy also has different years as well this was just for my truck
Sounds like a good part, ebayer not so good on feedback.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Staff

Feedback score looks good to me. 99% of the time, the customer orders the wrong part then blames it on the supplier. Its always easier to blame a large company than yourself.

I see no issues with a feedback score of 98%+ for a company with 45,000+ sales
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Can someone please direct me to a forum or post a picture that can help me replace all my accessory belts... I am confused how to put them all back together... I just replaced my cooling fan bracket and I am working to put everything back together.....I am looking for an image like this: http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/c/Y/41747495.gif but for a 1990.... This picture linked is for an 1987
Old 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Hey Yota fans,

As mentioned in another thread, I pulled the fan bracket off my 3VZE, and the bearing was just ever so slightly loose. If you grabbed the pulley and wiggled back and forth, you could feel a very small but definite movement.

It's the original Aisin. Should I replace it, or just put it back in?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Run a short belt remove the factory fan and replace with an electric. More efficient and will cost a crap load less
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks hilux, but I want to stay stock on this, and I think a junkyard bracket will only cost $40.

So, how do I know if I can reuse my original Aisin fan bracket? Surely the experts here have some input!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM

[IMG][/IMG]I know this thread is a little old, but I have a few pics. My truck was making a nice grinding noise and I took it all apart to see what was the problem. It sounded like it was coming from the timing belt cover.

I followed all the info in this thread, took the cover off, belts, shroud, fan, etc and this is what I saw:

Metal shavings on top of the fan bracket and inside one of the pulleys. I think those shavings are parts of the bearings going bad. If I waited anylonger it could have turned real ugly.

Luckily my friend had 2 spares to choose from and its all back together. I choose to go with a used part because it was free and the original lasted 202k. No fun doing this in 15 degree weather though!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM

If anybody is looking for a good used one, let me know I have one from a motor that had a bad crank on it that I am parting out.

Quick Reply: HELP: Fan Pulley Bracket