Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help diagnose a problem with front suspension on an '86!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnose a problem with front suspension on an '86!

Hi guys,

I've got 2 problems with the front end of my 4Runner:

1. There is a terrible grinding sound whenever the front hubs are engaged. It doesn't matter if only one hub is engaged or both, the noise still occurs. It is an intermittent grinding noise that sounds a lot like a bearing to me. The noise never happens when the hubs are not locked in. Is there a bearing in the front diff output tube on the driver's side? Perhaps a bearing in the hub assy or steering knuckle assy? It's not the wheel bearing, since the noise does not happen unless the 4WD system is engaged.

2. The front left hub just stopped engaging when I lock it in. I took it all apart, and the axle stub doesn't stick far enough out of the steering knuckle to be engaged by the hub. Is there something in the steering knuckle that could have separated, causing the length to increase? In the shop manual it shows 2 bushings, an inner and and outer. Is there also a bearing in there somewhere? I've got the truck in the garage on jack stands, and I need to get it fixed for school on Monday. Any advise at to what parts are needed, and how to replace them would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 AM

I had a similar problem when I first got my '86 runner. I took both hubs apart and cleaned them real good, and repacked with grease and reassembled. i noticed a snap ring missing on th epassenger side, this did not permit the axle shaft enough length to properly engage the hub splines when locked in 4wd. replaced and it's all good since then.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Ok, I was in the garage playing with it some more, and I realized that the inner steering knuckle bushing had worked itself about 1" out of the knuckle, forcing the axle backwards. That is why only about 1/4" of the axle was sticking out of the spindle, and therefore the hub splines could not reach or engage it. When the brass bushings wear out, do they start to work themselves out of the spindle? Wierd. I pulled the bushing and I'll be replacing it as soon as the new part arrives. Anybody know what kind of grease they use inside these bushings? I don't really want to pay the dealer $60 for a tube of grease...

Any ideas on the grinding sound? I don't think that it's the bearing inside the rotor assy, since the grinding never occurs when I'm driving in 2WD, even on long road trips. It only happens when the front hubs are locked in, which leads me to believe that it's something related to the front axle, especially if there is a bearing supporting the place where the outer driver's side CV axle meets the axle housing that comes off of the front diff. Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Probably the hub bushing......there are upgraded needle bearing replacements.

You only hear it in 4wd because the cv's aren't spinning otherwise.

Last edited by raydouble; 01-09-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Ok. I replaced the outer brass bushing, and installed the upgraded needle bearing and a new inner brass bushing. I also did the wheel bearings and a couple of other things while I was at it. I'll report back after a few days of driving and let you guys know if the grinding sound went away (I suspect it will).

Thanks for the help.

Jordan
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 AM

No more grinding