86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! 3.4 swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 3.4 swap problems

Alright well I am doing a 3.0 to 3.4 swap, and I got to where I went to turn the truck on, and it turned on, ran like crap, and died multiple times. I got it to run for about 30 seconds one of the times, one of the times it actually idled sorta-kinda normal. Then it made a squeeling noise and sorta knock noise, and a little bit later it died. It was smoking although I think it was just oil that had gotten on the block burning off. Now I cannot get it to start, it turns over but has no compression, I pull the spark plugs and there is no gas on the plugs, so that means the injectors arent working (since it isnt burning it, they should be soaked in gas and gas should be going through the exhaust). There is fuel in the line though, so it is an injector problem. I believe that I have the wiring hooked up correctly, but not 100% positive. HELP please!! Im out of ideas here...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

you may have fuel in the line, but what about fuel PRESSURE. Check that the fuel pump turns on and that the fuel pressure regulator is functioning. If theres no trace of fuel on the spark plugs i'd say your pump isnt running. Its unlikely all your injectors died.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM

Yeah the fuel pump turns on, I can hear it turn on when I put the key to the ON position. Although, usually it turns on to prime the system then turns off after about 2-3 seconds, for some reason it stays on... This makes me belive I have a wire incorrectly hooked up, but I cant seem to find any mistakes, I went over the diagrams multiple times. As for the regulator, im not sure where that is, how would I check that?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM

Do you have the MAF sensor hooked up? If the MAF doent sence any air it wont put any fuel thru.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 PM

Yes the MAF is hooked up, it is the one that came with the 3.4 from the donor vehicle.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:54 AM

I worked on it tonight and realized that the injectors are working... The plugs are soaked in gas when I pull them. I gave the plugs a good cleaning with WD-40, then used the air compressor with a blowgun attachment to air dry the plugs. After putting them back in, the truck almost started, but then went back to the soaked plug deal. I dont get what would cause it to do this... There is spark, theres gas, and theres air... It should have compression, and it doesnt. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 AM

No compression would likely be head gasket(s), have you done a compression test or does it just turn over almost freely.

If you have the plugs in and you can turn it by hand, has to be gaskets or pistion rings. Did you hear this doner run before?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 AM

Thats the thing... At the junk yard they cranked it without the plugs to shoot the oil out of the cylinders (the truck rolled), and it shot oil a good 20 feet, it had plenty of compression. I got it in the truck, and got it started a few times, and it ran alright but didnt stay running, and it died. Now it wont even start, and it doesnt seem to have compression. Also, the motor is from a 2003 Tundra, and only has 27k on it, it shouldnt have anything wrong with it unless it was neglected...
Old 03-21-2006, 04:16 AM

Motor needs

fuel, spark, air, compression to start. The fact oil shot out shows a good working oil pump and clean gallies for the oil to move through. It says nothing about the compression. So if you never heard it run good, I would buy a compression tester. There about 20 to 30 bucks, the instructions are on the thing they come in. Mostly pull a plug, put the little rubber thing that screws down into the hole the plug came out of. Pull the coil wire so it CAN'T fire up. Spin the motor over a few times and see what the gauage reads. All should be with in 10 lbs of each other.

It will never start with out compression. Well and run.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MorphiasX
As for the regulator, im not sure where that is, how would I check that?

regulator is usually where the return line connects to the fuel rail. I'm compulsive about having to know EXACTLY what everything is doing so i replaced the FPR with an aftermarket one that has a port for reading fuel pressure directly. Takes out one more un-known when trouble shooting non-stock installs like yours and mine.

Old 03-22-2006, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

it does seem like you have everything needed for the engine to run, did you double check your timing setup? I don't know if you took any of that apart or not. Ive never dealt with the the 3.4 but i know for a supra you can install the cam position sensor off-cycle so that the timing is opposite of what it should be. Having a factory service manual might be a good idea if you dont already have one.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 AM

A friend of mine rolled his 87, and the truck ran for a few seconds upside down, the oil that got in the cylinders blew the rings and scared the cylinders beyond repair...
Old 03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you ever have the oil pan off this engine? i would be concerned that it may have hydro locked when it rolled and could have damaged some internal parts?