Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!

So I'm out rafting the other weekend and my girlfriend goes to get into the back seat of the runner. Well, the seat will fold forward, but it won't slide, and worse, it wont go back after i fold it forward. I took the door side facia panel off the seat, and if I use my key or a knife I can push the seat back up and move the spring loadedpiece that keeps the seat forward out of the way enough to get the seat back up. Any idea how the seat works? I honestly have not gotten a chance to really dive into it, but from looking under it, I can't see or find a cable that is broken, and I really can't see a problem with the slider. Just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem. I guess I'll have to just un-bolt the seat and screw with it.

Cheers

Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a cable that splits into a Y off the handle. One part tilts the back and the other part unlocks the track that it rides on. It's probably broke, at the end where a little metal ball is.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
x2 on the cable. It is an anoyingly expensive piece.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 PM

x3 on the ball and cable. That just happened to my 85. I didn't have the time to run around to a junk yard and find the cable or anything, so I went to a bike shop. They sell those "gyro's" for bikes. If you're lucky they'll have one the right length (take your broken one with you!). If you're unlucky, like I was, you can have them fabricate a new cable and put it inside the gyro. Total cost $25. Worked like a charm.

EDIT: Pull the seat out, there's only 4 bolts. Look at the bottom of it, you'll see it's a very simple design, just cheap parts. Not hard to fix in any way.

Last edited by Pest; 09-05-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem with my passenger seat. If the ball on the cable just came off like mine you might be able to fix it. You could just solder/weld a ball onto the end of the cable. Or another idea I had was fishing weights, the ones you put on your line. Put one of those on the cable and crimp it. Just some ideas.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM

my seat does that all the time the seat will fold but wont slide, it is just the end of the black cable housing slipping out of the bracket that holds the end in place. just have to slip the end with the nut back into the bracket. Dont know why i just havent took the minutes to tighten the nut?

Could be a different problem for you though? Have you looked under the seat at all?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Cool thanks guy's, This site is the single best resource I've found since I bought my rig over 2 years ago. I've got the day off tomorow so I think I'll dive into this little problem. It's officialy starting to bug the e out of me.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM

heres what I did and it is still working for me https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...le-fix-101496/
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a guitar string ball end and tied it on. I believe I soldered it too.

Definitely a do it yourself fix.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM

New post to OLD thread-My fix

I couldn't see CyMoN's pictures but my fix might be similar. My cable broke where it goes to the backrest, about a inch and a half from the end. The other side of the box has the two cables that were in perfect shape. I popped off the removable end of the box with the ONE cable. Then I cut the box lengthwise with two cuts.(look in the box to make sure you cut the right side-you'll see the slot for the cable) I left enough material so that it has strength when it all goes back together.(In other words the cuts are pretty close together) Cable came out nice and easy by raising the "tab" you just made and the box will work just fine when it goes back together. I'm headed to the bike shop to find the same diameter cable with a close to matching end, but the end doesn't have to be exact-just need to fit in the box and the little metal block. The cable length doesn't matter when buying because I will adjust it with a heavy duty crimp when I get to that point.
Attached Thumbnails Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!-seat1.jpg   Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!-seat2.jpg   Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!-seat3.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You can buy a new damn cable at the dealer. I got a thread all about it with part numbers.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM

Don't Buy a new Damn cable when you can fix it for free!

So this post is a follow up to my DIY fix, its for those who like to save money or if you're like me-poor. The bike shop gave me a used cable for free! Pic 1- New cable along-side of old parts(notice my "tab" broke off- I sent a friend to the bike shop this morning and I think the cold weather made the plastic hard-plus he's and idiot) But no matter this will still work. Pic 2-Cable and parts put together.(I put a drop of epoxy in with the new cable to keep it from coming out, an unnecessary step if you don't have a retard break your tab) Pic 3- Look at all that extra cable to work with!!! (that's not much cable for a bike so hence the freeness)

Time- less than 30 minutes
Cost- Free

So waskillywabbit is your method faster? And does it cost more? Thanks for commenting on my very first post I feel very welcome and excited to be part of this website!!
Attached Thumbnails Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!-seat4.jpg   Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!-seat5.jpg   Help: 1st gen Runner Seat slider problem!!!!-seat6.jpg