Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with 1995 22RE fuel injector wires....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 1995 22RE fuel injector wires....

Hello. My name is Troy and I've got a 1995 22RE 4Runner. I just replaced the head and font end (timing cover, chain, water and oil pumps etc....) The fuel injector wires weren't labelled before we tore it down and now I'm not sure which wire goes where. Based on the lengths of the wires, I'm guessing that they are already well positioned to go into the injectors closest to each one. Can anyone confirm for me?

THANKS!!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Didn't label? Didn't draw a picture? Didn't take a photograph?

Well, this time you're in luck. All four injectors (6 on the 3VZE) fire at the same time. They're all wired together. You can't "mix" them up.

Generally, the harness is built without much extra wire, so you'll be at least partly constrained by which connectors can reach which injector. But you can't do it "wrong."

Welcome to YotaTech.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Didn't label? Didn't draw a picture? Didn't take a photograph?

Well, this time you're in luck. All four injectors (6 on the 3VZE) fire at the same time. They're all wired together. You can't "mix" them up.

Generally, the harness is built without much extra wire, so you'll be at least partly constrained by which connectors can reach which injector. But you can't do it "wrong."

Welcome to YotaTech.
the vacuum lines weren't labelled either lol... but i do have pics of those....
Old 09-15-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yotajunky25
the vacuum lines weren't labelled either lol... but i do have pics of those....
I sure hope you took some detailed pic's as they can be deceiving on vacuum lines.
IMHO those vacuum lines should be labeled and pic's taken.
But luckily there is a plethora of vacuum diagrams on the web.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM

Is a picture worth 1,000 words? Well, sometimes for sure. But after you've been on this site as long as ksti, you'll have seen more pictures of piles of black spaghetti than you can count. Generally, it can be very difficult to look at a photo and tell where one hose starts and where that same hose ends.

Next time, draw a diagram. When you can put your hands into the engine bay, tracing a hose or wire is pretty easy. Get into the habit of drawing a tiny picture when you disassemble something that seems to come apart in a certain order. You'll want to know that order when you put it back together.

Your drawing doesn't have to be as fancy as this, but I can't imagine taking off the plenum without mine:
Old 09-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is a picture worth 1,000 words? Well, sometimes for sure. But after you've been on this site as long as ksti, you'll have seen more pictures of piles of black spaghetti than you can count. Generally, it can be very difficult to look at a photo and tell where one hose starts and where that same hose ends.

Next time, draw a diagram. When you can put your hands into the engine bay, tracing a hose or wire is pretty easy. Get into the habit of drawing a tiny picture when you disassemble something that seems to come apart in a certain order. You'll want to know that order when you put it back together.
Yes, well said "scope"
To this day I still have to use a spaghetti fork to get it right and still second guess what I have done.
Old age I guess, but I always get it figured out, that's the fun of my older Hilux.
Fixing, not replacing unless absolutely know what's wrong.
With your knowledge, I'm sure it's a little easier.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Thank you very much guys!! All the detailed feedback is amazing.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The injector wiring will only go on one way. I start from the rear and work my way forward. Just sit the connectors on the injector without actually hooking them up and you will find out real quick when you get to Number 1 if you have them on correctly.

I know the 85-88 22re real well so I do not label all of my hoses. The early model does not have nearly all the hoses that the 89 and up has. You having a 95 model, it has the most hoses of all. No way would I attempt to tear a 95 model down without some pictures and labels.

I have stolen some of the wifes finger nail paint and will use different color dots on a hose and the connector it goes to in some cases.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 PM

I'm stuck. Does anyone know if the white connector that i'm holding goes to the first fuel injector? If it does, the wire doesn't seem to be long enough. The other three fuel injector wires fit well with their respective lengths and are all blue colored. There are no other connectors that I can find that will fit.

is this the wire that goes to the first fuel injector?

Last edited by yotajunky25; 09-17-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM

Here's another pic of the connector in question and it's distance from the first fuel injector....

Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 PM

The connectors SHOULD all have the same color wires (most likely Black-Red and White, or possibly Black-Red and White-Black). So check that.

Unfortunately, the difference in the color of the connector body suggests that the connector was replaced sometime in the past. A popular way to do that is to get the connector with "pig tails" and splice them in somewhere. In that case, the color of the wires on the mystery connector may mean nothing.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:57 PM

The connectors SHOULD all have the same color wires (most likely Black-Red and White, or possibly Black-Red and White-Black). So check that.

Unfortunately, the difference in the color of the connector body suggests that the connector was replaced sometime in the past. A popular way to do that is to get the connector with "pig tails" and splice them in somewhere. In that case, the color of the wires on the mystery connector may mean nothing.
Thanks for replying. I found this picture from Iceman's '94 22re rebuild. I circled the connector for the first injector and it looks like he's got a white one too.... The connector to the first injector is white and the other three are blue on Iceman's '94 22RE rebuild.... just like mine. But my first wire seems to be too short to make it to the first injector.

Last edited by yotajunky25; 09-17-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:53 PM

I took off the throttle body to install the short wire to fuel injector #1. It was a snug fit, but the connector clicked in well.

i took the TB off to connect the short wire to fuel injector #1

Last edited by yotajunky25; 09-20-2017 at 06:48 AM.