86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headgasket fixed a month ago and white steam again

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headgasket fixed a month ago and white steam again

I just got my headgaskets on my 93 4runner replaced and the valves reground, adjusted, and reassembled about a month ago. And a new starter.

Now it doesn't want to start and when it finally would start it has white steam that isn't as heavy as when the heads blew, but nevertheless white steam and some water dripping out the tailpipe. Is it possible that the heads are messed up again??? My trustworthy mechanic is 100 miles away and I am freaked out about having to put more dinero into this car at the toyota dealership tomorrow. (I also have a 1 year warranty for the work done on the heads)

any advice is appreciated!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it's cold out you'll get some water vapour from the tail pipe anyway, but I'd take it back to where you got it fixed before spending any more money
Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your coolant - both for amount in the radiator and for engine oil in the coolant. Also check your motor oil for coolant. Sometimes, coolant in the oil will show up as a milky substance on the underside of the oil fill cap. Don't want to drive with the oil being diluted by coolant. That'll just cause more problems.

Hopefully the place that did the heads and replacement use the new, slipper plate steel head gaskets. If they used FelPro gaskets, they may have already failed. I understand that it's also important to use NEW head bolts if it is the first re-build, since the factory bolts are a one-time- use only.

Mike in AR
Old 03-15-2006, 05:49 PM

no coolant in the oil. The headbolts are all new also and I'm not sure what kind of parts they are--they're all from napa if that helps. There has also been a weird high pitch sound coming from the front right compartment but when I took it for its follow-up visit, the mechanic (not the original trustworthy one from SD), said oh don't worry about it and sent me on my way.

I think everything should be covered under the napa auto care warranty but unfortunately if it is the heads I'm going to have to have it towed 100 miles back to san diego, because I don't trust the mechanics at the napa auto care center I took it to out where I live for its 500 mile servicing after the head job.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:30 PM

High pitched squeal? Might be idler pulley on one of the belts. Also ,, what are the symptoms that occur when you have difficulty starting? Does it crank but not start? Is the engine cold or warm when this occurs? We need a little more info , since we're not bending over the fender with you.

Mike in AR
Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM

the squeeling doesn't happen everytime I turn it on, but about 90% of the time. When I took it for the 500 mile check-up they said it was just a fanbelt that was torn and "tucked" it under which made the sound stop until 2-3 trips later and it came back. Sometimes it goes away during driving and sometimes it doesn't.

But the problems with starting just started in the last day or so, it basically turns over and then dies. My roomate and I finally got it go after about 5 or 6 tries, but it was really loud with the high pitch sound from above along with the light steam and some water dripping out of the tailpipe. It didn't overheat and there isn't any coolant in the oil or dripping anywhere and the coolant itself looks fine.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 AM

Check the cold start injector. I believe it's right in the middle of the pass. side of the intake manifold. There should be wires and a small fuel line attached.

DO THIS CHECK ENGINE COLD. Unscrew the injector and put it down into a soup can or coffee can. Leave the fuel line attached. Have a friend turn the ignition 'on' and see if you get a fan-shaped spray out of the injector nozzle. If it does not spray , or the fuel is not atomized well,, that could be your problem. I suspect they can be cleaned. However, I have never done it.

Mike in AR
Old 03-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Eric-the-red is right...in cool temps you will always get some condensation. The amount will vary with the temps. What you need to do is check your coolant and oil very often, at least 2 times a week. It just takes a second to ensure the lifebloods are all good. Your coolant reseivoir may fluctuate, so check it a couple times before you add too much.

Many people here understand your anxiety...I went through the same after my head gasket replacement.

The squeal is most likely one of your idler pullies, which probably should have been replaced, along with the water pump and timing belt, when the HG job was done.

Your starter issue is probably a loose connection. I don't think a new starter will fail that fast.

Did you check with the dealer, to see if you quallify for the HG warranty job?