Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Having to press gas in order to start 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having to press gas in order to start 22RE

I have a 1992 Pickup 22re. 188000 miles, spark pugs done 8k ago. I've noticed recently that every so often when I crank the engine I have to give it the gas in order for it to turn over. At first I thought it was a fluke, but it has been happening more often. Once it turned over and then stalled. A lot of times I have to give it the gas once its started; especially when cold, but not while I'm turning the key, this is new. TPS was done in 2014. Any idea on what it could be? Hopefully I can get this figured out over my Christmas break because I don't want to hassle with a rental if it needs to go to Toyota. Thanks for helping!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just which engine if it is indeed the Carburetor version the 22R yes stepping on the throttle does give it gas

Since you say it is a 22RE all your doing is giving it more air.

Have you checked the cold start injector circuit ??
Old 12-28-2016, 03:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the truck is a 92 I would assume its efi. I have the same problem with my 88 22re (fuel injected) everyone on here has told me its something with the cold start injector, well I have changed everything to do with the cold start injector and it still does the same thing. When it is cold out my truck starts right up (below 30) any other time I have to hold the pedal down slightly to get it to start, good luck. The only other thing I have noticed on mine is that the truck almost always starts right up the second you release the key.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmansimek
If the truck is a 92 I would assume its efi. I have the same problem with my 88 22re (fuel injected) everyone on here has told me its something with the cold start injector, well I have changed everything to do with the cold start injector and it still does the same thing. When it is cold out my truck starts right up (below 30) any other time I have to hold the pedal down slightly to get it to start, good luck. The only other thing I have noticed on mine is that the truck almost always starts right up the second you release the key.
Everything, are ya sure I'll wager you have the same ECU and harness still.. The resistance of the wire and the connectors can have a marked effect on the temp reading the ECU gets and shouldn't be overlooked. At operating temperature measure the voltage on Thw at the ECU(middle plug bottom right, on an 88), if it's over 1 volt you have bad grounds, dirty connectors, or deteriorated wiring.

Starts when you release the key. That is more likely coincidence than actually happening but.. it is possible the starter is dropping the voltage low enough the ECU shuts off while cranking and when you release the starter position it powers up and starts firing the igniter. Assuming a good battery this is most likely a ground or power problem, just need some time and elbow grease to clean and tighten it.

Pressing the throttle pedal. Two reasons this will have a marked effect. 1: it makes he engine turn over faster since it is more free flowing than sucking thru the idle passages. Bad connections a failing battery, starter, or ignition switch, or it just being damn cold out are the problem..
2: it adds air to the mixture which is needed if you are getting to much fuel from the cold start due to leaks or erroneous temp readings.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 AM

The truck always started perfect until I swapped motors so I highly doubt ecu and wiring (I have swapped the ecu) I tried everything off the motor that started perfect and off of my other truck that still starts perfect all grounds are good and truck has a brand new 975 cca interstate battery. Your reason one would not help because as stated when really cold starts right up, and I have had this problem for almost 3 years (daily driver) so I highly doubt there is anything wrong with starter or igniton switch, reason 2 is definitley the answer just dont know what the cause is.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Time to start testing that circuit. Test your AFM? They rarely fail but it's not unheard of. Could be a dirty connection that got dirt or debris during the R&R of the motor. Not saying it is just a possibility.

Edit. Also check your cold start injector. And the temp sensor wires. These trucks have old wiring and it gets brittle over time. So even though we are careful when we play with it it can crack and break inside of the insulation. This would give you intermittent failures and it's still touching but but a good connection.

Just throwing ideas out there. Hope this helps.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 12-29-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 AM

I don't really know what else to try, I have swapped the afm multiple times. I have megger'd and checked almost every cable, cleaned and re-cleaned all connections none of which actually looked or tested bad. I have kind of given up anyhow I just got another truck with a mint cab and 22re turbo with only 100k that I will be swapping onto my truck this coming spring.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Intake air temperature sensor, could play a role in that. If it has the air density calculation wrong it would over fuel. Does it restart in cold weather once the engine is warm without issues? Or only on a cold start on a cold day.

i meant to mention a dirty air filter, this is another reason you might need to open the throttle plate to get it to crank faster or fire. And takes basically no time to double check.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:46 AM

It will restart right away if it has only been a few minutes but if its been a little while (still warm) you have to hold the pedal down a bit. It has a new k&n and I have swapped or replaced all of the sensors and the cold start injector, also sorry for jacking this thread hopefully this info is helping the op