Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

newbie, please help, 87 22re no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie, please help, 87 22re no start

Hello gentlemen , this is a great forum from what i have seen, i have tried searching for the no start culprit in my friends 87 4runner with no luck. I was told he went out one morning and it just would not crank. I have put together a list of a few things i have checked. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

With battery disconnected overnight , only code stored when connected back is #51 before trying to start it.
Fuel pump IS running when trying to crank
Injectors ARE firing by noid light
Plugs ARE firing
Main EFI and open circuit relays click when ign is turned in the run position
Plugs are slightly wet with fuel after being cleaned off
Will NOT start with starting fluid sprayed in the intake or spark plug hole.
Cold start injector does NOT work when ign is in the run position but does spray when jumpered.
Engine grounds(4) check out good. intake to harness(2 wire) , head to firewall, main to ac bracket, harness to alt bracket
Injector splices check out good.

The owner of the vehicle also changed plugs, wires , cap and rotor AFTER the no start issue
also he took the high pressure fuel line off , tried to crank and had plenty of fuel coming out. I have not verified this.

Last edited by nhunter; 12-28-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
there is no code #51 for the 1987 4runners. the codes only go up to either 13 or 14, depending on whether n/a or turbo.

according to your description, your friend has spark and fuel. the engine also needs compression to start. so, pull the spark plugs and do a compression check.

oohh. might also pull the valve cover and check that the timing chain isn't loose/skipped (ie, broken guides allowed it to skip), resulting in an out-of-time condition.

Last edited by wallytoo; 12-28-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Thanks, i will try these things tomorrow and check the code again.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM

My mistake, it is an 88 model, compression was good across all cylinders however when i removed the valve cover to inspect i noticed plastic chunks on the chain. Looks as if a guide broke and jumped a few teeth. I guess ill be doing a timing chain replacement.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
better to have caught it, hopefully before it damaged pistons, valves, and rods. at least your friend now has a pretty good idea why it won't start.

wally