Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

handling in the snow

Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swim View Post
You know what ice is if you live up here in AK. 4" solid sheet ice on the parks hwy.... bad bad day....

Thanks, glad to see someone who understands me... Can you imagine if we went 25 everywhere there was some snow or ice on the road... Talk about long winter...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of costco 235/75/15 at's that came with my truck and they are horrible in the snow. I have to use 4wheel lo just to back out of my snowy driveway with a slight incline
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Put some weight in the back, i have not trouble in 2wd unless i'm on a big hill, running 235/75-15 BFG winter slaloms (studded). I keep around 300 or 400 pounds in the back all winter...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Railroad track is 139lbs for a 3 foot section, slim and low profile.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 PM

well, i have not really read through this thread. but my truck handles great in the snow.

except for the fact that my brakes suck!. the pedal gets really squishy and doesnt want to stop...
Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by weaselman View Post
well, i have not really read through this thread. but my truck handles great in the snow.

except for the fact that my brakes suck!. the pedal gets really squishy and doesnt want to stop...
Don't want to jack this thread, but search brakes, there is a few common causes for that, most likely air in the master cylinder, i've posted a few times how to get it out, or PM me. Although I think squishy brakes on ice might be a good thing...
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf View Post
Thats a good idea, where do you get it? A few guys at work have scrounged up 4x8 sheets of 1/4 inch steel thats real heavy and doesn't render your bed useless, pretty cool idea I thought.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Steel junk yard, and the thing is you can shift weight around, over axles, sides, front bed, back bed. Even a non snow add on if you wanna take away a harsh ride, weight = bit of preload.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf View Post
I just hope you bolt that down/secure that somehow. I'd hate to see what kind of projectile that becomes in the event of an accident. Imagine that flying past your head in a head-on collision.

Edit: for really nasty storms I usually put a few bags of sand over the rear axle. I've only needed them a few times.

Last edited by shaeff; 12-21-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:04 AM

Ah yes they would be secured, .........don't even think head on collision.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff View Post
I just hope you bolt that down/secure that somehow. I'd hate to see what kind of projectile that becomes in the event of an accident. Imagine that flying past your head in a head-on collision.

Edit: for really nasty storms I usually put a few bags of sand over the rear axle. I've only needed them a few times.
I keep two bags of sand and two bags of small gravel in the back of mine...just in the event I get stuck and need more traction.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff View Post

This needs to be said for any load in the back of the truck, but sandbags especially.
Most people just toss them in the back corners of the bed and leave them there for months, but around here they eventually get waterlogged and freeze and they WILL go blasting through your truck if you get in a serious collision. I can't find the link any longer, but I once saw the carnage a sandbag had caused when it took airborne... it passed the drivers head by about an inch based on where he normally sat.

Safety first y'all
Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM

With 2wd, no locker, and no bed (and as such, no real weight on my rear-end), I can easily say that my winter handling is TERRIBLE. If I'm not getting stuck, I'm sliding around like I'm in a mini cooper on ice skates. At least I finally got the steel for the new bed, and as such will be assembling it over the next several weekends.

Last edited by Magnusian; 12-21-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rustosaur View Post
This needs to be said for any load in the back of the truck, but sandbags especially.
Most people just toss them in the back corners of the bed and leave them there for months, but around here they eventually get waterlogged and freeze and they WILL go blasting through your truck if you get in a serious collision. I can't find the link any longer, but I once saw the carnage a sandbag had caused when it took airborne... it passed the drivers head by about an inch based on where he normally sat.

Safety first y'all
LOL, I'm not one of those people, which is why I brought it up in the first place. 99% of the time I don't use weight in the bed. It's some serious crap. I rarely have anything in the bed that's not properly secured!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:16 AM

so much wisdom TY! I am soon to be responsible for access to isp towers south of steamboat springs. building my first 3ft+ deep snow yota suv which i have most answers i need from here and 40hrs of reading thru some valued xp. need to know which platform to base it all on. 10k total build but 7k is really a better target. tires 1000 (cooper discoverer a/tw to handle mix of snow on ice w no trail under it). winch 500. lights 400. roof rack and rolltubes im hoping to purchase w it but that we can fab too so 200 in scrap. lift 1500 depending on platform. need skidplates? i see 96 4runner w manualtranny and 4x4 as my best dollar use i think but no v8. u guyz kill me now w super comparison to it vs sequoia vs highlander vs 2000 4runner v8 and i can also listen to other suvs. any other must have equip? air compressor and inverter along w crapton of tools in welded into bed lockbox are coming from the company. how much lift do i need and is 285/70r17 big enough tire? ty everyone for any help
Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 AM

cant do truck with bedcover forgot to mention. need to keep cargo warm. company rule also
Old 05-16-2019, 05:26 AM

sliderbars? thats just under 4k$ so far and 6k more will get the other suvs but only chance of reaching 7k total budget looks like the pre97 4runners. what would i need the v8 for? incline past what degree or is it relative to snow depth also? can 1k in mods produce more power to accomplish the task on the v6?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:27 AM

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
You know this is a 10 year old thread right... most of these guys probably aren't even yotayech members anymore...
The following users liked this post:
initial_Dan (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 AM

almost forgot another 500 for another cooper atw and rim to secure on roof rack. better say 300 not 200 in scrap. more if u guyz think as i have not paid for scrap before.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by initial_Dan View Post
so much wisdom TY! I am soon to be responsible for access to isp towers south of steamboat springs. building my first 3ft+ deep snow yota suv which i have most answers i need from here and 40hrs of reading thru some valued xp. need to know which platform to base it all on. 10k total build but 7k is really a better target. tires 1000 (cooper discoverer a/tw to handle mix of snow on ice w no trail under it). winch 500. lights 400. roof rack and rolltubes im hoping to purchase w it but that we can fab too so 200 in scrap. lift 1500 depending on platform. need skidplates? i see 96 4runner w manualtranny and 4x4 as my best dollar use i think but no v8. u guyz kill me now w super comparison to it vs sequoia vs highlander vs 2000 4runner v8 and i can also listen to other suvs. any other must have equip? air compressor and inverter along w crapton of tools in welded into bed lockbox are coming from the company. how much lift do i need and is 285/70r17 big enough tire? ty everyone for any help
Originally Posted by 87-4runner View Post
You know this is a 10 year old thread right... most of these guys probably aren't even yotayech members anymore...
Originally Posted by initial_Dan View Post
almost forgot another 500 for another cooper atw and rim to secure on roof rack. better say 300 not 200 in scrap. more if u guyz think as i have not paid for scrap before.
Start your own thread please. Also, if you are talking about 3+ feet of snow a 285/70/17 isn't going to cut it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: handling in the snow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: