Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ground strap location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ground strap location?

Hello all, so I just finished putting a brand new engine from Japanengine in my 90 22re 4runner. I labled and documented everything. I put everything together, but in the end I could not find the ground strap that connects under the nut that holds together the top and bottom parts of the intake manifold. I know that it controlls the starter switch, as when I turned the key, the starter would not engage, but if I run a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid controll switch the starter kicks on no problem. I just need to find where this ground strap originates from. Anybody have any guesses, I can't find the wire anywhere.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
just make a wire then .. and ground it to the body or the frame

Old 07-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-guide-194413/

Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Thank you all. I have them all attached, and still have the same issue. Does anyone know which of these controlls the starter switch?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

the starter just grounds to the engine block and trans where it's bolted up; there's no ground wire running to it

make sure the area is clean and oil-free where the starter is mounted on

is it making any clicking noise when you turn the key? the contacts in the starter are notorious for going out (mainly on aftermarket replacements). If it's just clicking, try the "hit it with a hammer" trick (tap on the starter a few times with a hammer, then try to start it). If it starts after that, you've got a bad set of starter contacts

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM

I am pretty sure my starter is good to go, it's my starter switch or relay or whatever it is between the ignition and the solonoid wire. My reasoning is that when I direct wire a 12v wire into the solonoid wire connector the starter kicks on, and turns the engine no problem. I miss stated myself in my first post, I dont know where the starter switch is, all I can tell from the wiring diagram was that there is some starter switch that sits between the ignition and the solonoid, and my solonoid wire is burried in the wiring harness. I have thought about wiring in a push button starter via this inconveinience but am a bit worried that if this is a missing ground strap, or bad one for that matter, that it grounds out some other module on the truck as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Could just be the clutch start cancel switch at the peddle
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...l/clutchpe.pdf

That's easy to diagnose; hit the clutch start cancel button to the left of the steering wheel and see if it starts then

If that's not it, it could be that the relay has gone out:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...t/starterr.pdf

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 07-29-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Did try that thanks for the thought but no go on that one too
Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You are saying you can`t find the wire that comes to the starter solenoid?? It should be black.

Or with the wire connected turning the key does nothing .

The starter relay should be on the right inner fender maybe the coil went out so it does not pull in

Might also be that the clutch cancel switch is not working along with the clutch pedal switch not being adjusted

Time to break out the multimeter and do some testing
Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM

hello all, so after fiddling with the electrical tester, starter relay, and ignition power, for a good long time, I finally figured it out, and in case anyone else here ever runs into the same issue I figured I would leave a note. So here were the symptoms, I removed the starter when I put in a new short block, and after this I can see how it could be a fairly common problem whenever anyone removes a starter. after installing the starter in the new short block I could not get the starter to engage. Never had a problem with it before removing it, so I figured I missed a wire some where. Hooked up a direct wire from my battery to the starter solenoid clip on the starter and the starter fired right up. According to a couple places (hanes manual included) this would indicate that the starter is good to go. Not necessarily the case though. In frustration I pulled the starter yesterday and took a look at the starter contacts and plunger. Both of them were charred from multiple arcs trying to engage the starter. What was happening was when I tightened the nut for the primary wire for the starter it twisted the contact inside the starter putting one side at an angle so the only way the plunger could actually engage was with the increased current running through the 12g wire I was using to direct wire the solenoid connection. Replaced the contacts and plunger for a total cost of 15bucks from a local shop in Bremerton, thanks DC engineering, and the new engine purrs like a kitten. Hope this helped some one