Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

glowing exhaust need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glowing exhaust need help

86 4runner glowing exhauxst need help everything checks out fine i am starting to think it may be electrical or something to do with main computer only runs lean when hot any suggestions replaced fuel pump,complete exhaust,fuel filter,pressure regulator,o2sensor,afm,injectors,coolant temp sensor
Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Check timing.
2) Verify that 02 is dithering (swinging)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has always glowed at night a little too... I suggest not looking under the hood after dark.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 AM

Might be using too high of an octane gas; if I'm not mistaken it's designed for 87 octane, higher than that & un-burnt fuel can accumulate in the exhaust.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 AM

i have been workig non the same problem for a motnh it is a rich condition not a lean one. Unburnt fuel is burnig nin the exhuast because it isnt completely burning in the cylinder. I have done verythin to mine to try to get it to stop. I have rebuilt injectors, new fuel filter, nbew afm, tps, o2 and my tyimign is good. I have no codes either. I just gto saick of screwign with it and took it in. Should be doen today ill let you know what it was.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by neilan
i have been workig non the same problem for a motnh it is a rich condition not a lean one. Unburnt fuel is burnig nin the exhuast because it isnt completely burning in the cylinder. I have done verythin to mine to try to get it to stop. I have rebuilt injectors, new fuel filter, nbew afm, tps, o2 and my tyimign is good. I have no codes either. I just gto saick of screwign with it and took it in. Should be doen today ill let you know what it was.

How do you know it's a rich condition? I'd be suprised if that was the case.
If you think that's the case, your narrowband should be pretty much pegged rich.

Burning in the exhaust is typically caused by timing that is too conservative. Basically the cylinder gets ignited late and it's still burning when the exhaust valve opens. You need heat + pressure to ignite fuel. The exahust system doesn't have a lot of pressure.

I'm not sure that higher octane would lead to EGTs this excessive....

You can get a decent EGT gauge for around $100 from gaugepods.com - drill and tap simple install...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 AM

not necesarly i am pretty sure my problem is not even ecu related. Even though i replaced my injectors abotu 2 months ago i suspect one of them is sticking open and leaking. I know fro a fact thta the condition is only happeing on one cylinder because from startup i monitered the temperature at each port on the manifold with a laser temp gun and watched one skyrockit while the others rose at the same rate. My timing is perfect when this problem is occuring.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't speak for your situation, but most of the time a hot cylinder is a lean cylinder. Hotter EGT's are usually due to an engine being too lean as well.

If you have one cylinder that's running hot I would think it either has an intake valve that's not opening far enough or a bad fuel injector not letting enough fuel in...

But like I said, that's just my blind guess...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Be sure to let me know if they fix your problem. I have taken mine to a couple different mech they cant seem to figure it out. I called toyota dealer there shop dont even want to look at it i am trying to find a good mech in southern cali or a wrecked runner to just replace entire efi system That is what i havent already replaced
Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MADDNESS
Be sure to let me know if they fix your problem. I have taken mine to a couple different mech they cant seem to figure it out. I called toyota dealer there shop dont even want to look at it i am trying to find a good mech in southern cali or a wrecked runner to just replace entire efi system That is what i havent already replaced
22RE efi parts are all over the place.. just list what you need in the wanted section. Most of it can be replaced yourself with just a few tools.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:41 AM

It has to be unburnt fuel in the cat/exhaust that is being ignited. Too high an octane fuel & then an ignition source. Someone mentioned before the cylinder firing before the exhaust valve is closed; that is the most likely ignition source. That's what I would check, timing, valves & be sure I ran 87 octane.