Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting my new exhaust done this week and need advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting my new exhaust done this week and need advice!!

Well, I have my lc headers in the back of the 4runner and it is at toyota right now awaiting the headers installation. I have an 88 4runner with the 22re, automatic so every bit of HP i can get will be great. I have a hi-flow dynomax cat and will possibly be going with a flowmaster 60 series delta flow muffler and a 2 1/4 inch tail pipe. does anybody see anything wrong with this set up? I have to drive the truck from toyota to my exhaust guy with just headers. is that going to hurt anything? it is only like 8 miles. thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Why does Toyota have to install the header & your exhaust guy the rest? Why can't exhaust dude do it all???
Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly I don't think I would drive my truck with open headers...

How are they going to rig the O2 sensor to get you to even run right?

I agree with TN above, you should have just let the exhaust guy do it all...

As for your plan it sounds pretty good. However, you should consider going to a larger size pipe after the muffler to give it a deeper sound. I went with 2.25" to a 14" magnaflow, then 2.5" out the back behind the tire. The 14" magnaflow is a little louder than I originaly wanted, but after getting used to it, and it breaking in a little, I really like the sound.

I did want a 60 series flow too at first, but the exhaust shop gave me a killer deal on the magnaflow so I went with it instead. I got it all done for $130 from the O2 sensor back with a chrome tip.

Btw, if you want to hear mine, I have a short video clip of it. I've posted it several times and not goten any feedback though. Think they're trying to tell me something?

http://www.ovrrdrive.made2own.com/Magnaflow.wmv

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 08-14-2006 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:07 AM

I have that setup, i got about 1100 miles on it before my HG blew... it was killer... sounded and preformed AWESOME...

As far as driving with the open header, I did it.. for about 25 miles.... EAR PLUGS ARE MANDATORY...even still it was silly loud.... It wont hurt anything. The 22RE wont run baddly with the O2 sensor not reading anything, just plan on having the check engine light on..

2.25 is the correct size to run, it flows the best for an RE, and still provides good backpressure for TQ. There is a reason that all the exhausts, except downey, are 2.25"...

The shop should be able to hug that setup very close to the cab for max ground clearance.. Here is what my ended up looking like...

Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Why does Toyota have to install the header & your exhaust guy the rest? Why can't exhaust dude do it all???

because my buddy charged me 30 bucks to install the headers and the guy next to my exhaust guy was going to charge me 90, that's why. my exhaust guy did not want to fool with the headers. him and a friend of his have shops next to each other. (connected) i think he was trying to throw him some business but i wanted to save some money. i think you might have done the same!!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Honestly I don't think I would drive my truck with open headers...

How are they going to rig the O2 sensor to get you to even run right?

I agree with TN above, you should have just let the exhaust guy do it all...

As for your plan it sounds pretty good. However, you should consider going to a larger size pipe after the muffler to give it a deeper sound. I went with 2.25" to a 14" magnaflow, then 2.5" out the back behind the tire. The 14" magnaflow is a little louder than I originaly wanted, but after getting used to it, and it breaking in a little, I really like the sound.

I did want a 60 series flow too at first, but the exhaust shop gave me a killer deal on the magnaflow so I went with it instead. I got it all done for $130 from the O2 sensor back with a chrome tip.

Btw, if you want to hear mine, I have a short video clip of it. I've posted it several times and not goten any feedback though. Think they're trying to tell me something?

http://www.ovrrdrive.made2own.com/Magnaflow.wmv
well, he was able to connect everything so i don't have to drive with open headers so that is good. i am dropping it off at my exhaust guy's shop and he is going to do the rest. the 02 sensor is hooked up so all he has to do is cut off the flange, weld on the cat, muffler, and tail pipe and it should be good to go. i can't wait!!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
I have that setup, i got about 1100 miles on it before my HG blew... it was killer... sounded and preformed AWESOME...

As far as driving with the open header, I did it.. for about 25 miles.... EAR PLUGS ARE MANDATORY...even still it was silly loud.... It wont hurt anything. The 22RE wont run baddly with the O2 sensor not reading anything, just plan on having the check engine light on..

2.25 is the correct size to run, it flows the best for an RE, and still provides good backpressure for TQ. There is a reason that all the exhausts, except downey, are 2.25"...

The shop should be able to hug that setup very close to the cab for max ground clearance.. Here is what my ended up looking like...

looks very nice!!! why did your HG blow? I hope it wasn't a result of the exhaust!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:10 PM

I have two issues now that my headers are installed.

when i started it up for the first time, it idled fine, drove it back to the back of the shop and parked it. got back in it to move it, and it idled really bad like it was wanting to cut off. i called my mechanic back over there and he unplugged the EFI fuse to reset everything to relearn what it needed to learn. it still idled pretty bad. he messed with a few things and told me to drive it. when i got back to the dealership, it idled fine like normal.

did the ECU just have to adjust to the airflow? do you see anything that could possibly be wrong? all he messed with was the headers and nothing else so that SHOULD be all it is, right?

also, when i get on the gas, i feel a vibration in the 4runner and also when i coast. now when he hooked up the cat, it was in a bind but he did that so i don't have to drive it with open headers. that HAS to be the reason, correct? when my exhaust guy redoes the cat and everything else, that SHOULD solve the problem, right? is there anything else it could be? thanks and sorry so many questions.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, with the headers and no exhaust system but the cat I'm going to guess it is going to be pretty lean compared to before. There are several things that could be going on to make it idle rough and honestly I think I'd wait until the exhaust system is complete before I'd even worry about it.

I was a little lean too and am having a few growing pains with mine too but they seem to be working themselves out.

Let's see how it is when you get the rest of the system installed.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 PM

well, I just drove it back from toyota and it ran great. no rough idle at all but still have the vibrations. i have the entire (old) exhaust system still hooked up. everything ALMOST matched up but i am running a muffler and cat so that shouldn't be the issue. i am hoping all will be well this time tomorrow!! i will keep you all posted and will try to have updated pics as well.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by whitetaco02
looks very nice!!! why did your HG blow? I hope it wasn't a result of the exhaust!!!
Thanks.... I have two theories as why she blew...at the time of the header I also did a radiator, so during the fulsh it may have gotten a bit hot? Or 40K ago my fatherinlaw and brotherinlaw (their old truck) did a timing chain, so this could be a laten defect from that, or a combi... oh well... 160K on the motor so I am just going to rebuild it in the spring...
Old 08-14-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Thanks.... I have two theories as why she blew...at the time of the header I also did a radiator, so during the fulsh it may have gotten a bit hot? Or 40K ago my fatherinlaw and brotherinlaw (their old truck) did a timing chain, so this could be a laten defect from that, or a combi... oh well... 160K on the motor so I am just going to rebuild it in the spring...
sounds like a plan man, good luck.

lc sent me one fo their catalogs. i am trying REAL hard not to look at it!! lol
Old 08-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Where did you get the LC headers from?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ramrugby09

from LC :bigclap:

www.lcengineering.com
Old 08-15-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ramrugby09

http://www.lcengineering.com/

well, i got it done and it sounds pretty good. i am more used to an exhaust on a 5spd not an automatic so it is going to take some getting used to. i definitely have more acceleration and it seems to run smoother. over all i am pleased with my decisions. i will try to post pics soon.

Last edited by whitetaco02; 08-15-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

I like the pixs was just laying under my rig...kinda weird..anyway I could see the way my pipe came out behind wheel it could get drug off...AH64ID's px gave me an idea. I can just remove tail pipe cut straight behind muffler and aim it out fender well. With out going to shop to shell out dough
Old 08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Btw, if you want to hear mine, I have a short video clip of it. I've posted it several times and not goten any feedback though. Think they're trying to tell me something

OK I downloaded and listened...MY review the plot was lame but the sound effect's guy should win an Oscar haha seriously you lose something on the computer. But I got the sense of being in a desert racer flying over the dunes ,or maybe over the city of London in my spite fire ... sounds good :bigclap: