Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gettin' my rear back up there

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gettin' my rear back up there

Well, after too many months of thinking about it and not doin anything, I finally got my front end aligned PROPERLY, which meant that my rear end sagged. Well, $150 later, I finally got my 2" shackles, polyurethane bushings, and extended brake line. So, as soon as I get free time, I'll have time to do the install.

Whats the best way for installing the new brake hose? I don't have pics but its the one that runs down the right side of the rear axle. My experiences with brake systems is limited, so I was wondering the best plan of attack.

Second question is, how do I set everything up for installing the new shackles? I've never done shackles before, so A quick run-down of the process would be great.

Thanks in advance for any input. I'll post pics of my truck once its all done.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unbolt the old ones

Bolt on the new ones same as the old ones ...

don't think it's harder than it really is ...
Old 11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Stuck shackles

My shackle replacement ended when the bolts refused to budge. My truck is a 94 and the shackle bolts would not move and inch. I took off the inside bracket, where the nuts twist off. The truck was on 6 ton jack stands pretty high, with the wheels off, at full droop. I tried using my jack under the rear axle to relieve the tension and nothing worked. Now I know too to take off the spare before attempting this swap again. This is a band-aid and I need new springs. Before trying this swap again I may get some 56" springs and new hangers welded in. It was difficult to get the truck up and the inside bracket off. Now, if anyone can chime in, please help us figure out how to do our swap. My kit includes DayStar 2" lift shackles, greaseable bolts, and bushings.

A man that knows:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/no-lift-33-my-91-a-126146/

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 11-13-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM

Well, I knew that the actual installation of the shackles was pretty easy, it was the stuff involved with the shackles that had me worried. Will the leaves be a PITA to work with once they're free from the shackle? Will they spread apart? Do I need to jack/support anything in place?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On mine, I used a c-clamp to hold the leaf springs together and to line them up with the shackle while I re-installed the shackle.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Depending on what kind of shape they're actually in, it could be rather difficult. I found it hard to tell until I actually started taking everything apart. Also, depends on if you plan on doing the eye bushings.

I replaced my bushings on my '864rnr a few weeks ago. Fortunately, I had taken it up to my buddy's shop where he had air tools, a torch, and a lift. The eye bushing bolts were rusted solid to the metal inner sleeve and would not turn .....which meant torch cutting the ends of the bolts, spreading the hanger apart to drop the end of the leaf pack, and finally air chiseling/torching out the remains of the old bushings. The shackle ends were easier, but not much. So much rust had accumulated inside there that the shackle bolts had deteriorated to a rather gnarly, irregular mess......hence I need to get new shackles on. All told, it took a total of approx. 4-5hrs to finish the job with two or, at some points, three people.

So, I'd say if all your doing is the shackle ends, it's pretty simple. I didn't use anything to keep the leaf packs together as they still had the leaf clips holding them. Just jack the rear end up at the frame until the suspension/axle droops and the tires (you can leave them on) are just touching the ground/floor. Support the frame with heavy duty stands! 6 or 12 ton rated. With your floor jack, you can then manipulate the axle from underneath to raise it or lower it if need be. Then, go to town. You'll need a big hammer and probably a torch. If you soak everything with PB Blaster several days in advance, you may not. Just be prepared. Once you get the old shackles out, cut or burn the bushings out, and put in the new.

Not sure on extending the brake lines. I've never done it, but I have repaired them. When you say "brake hose", do you mean to say you'll be installing soft lines to extend them? Then again, I take it you are only using longer shackles to bring the rear back up to stock height. If that's the case, you don't need to extend them anyways.

Last edited by thook; 11-07-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM

No, I'm using the shackles to bring the rear up to sit even with the front, which has a 5" of lift, 2" more than the rear does currently. The brake line I got is from Superlift and is a steel braided line for anything with up to 7" of lift. I got the extra few inches to accomodate for the rear end moving up and down on rough terrain. I take it when installing the new line, I take it I'll have to bleed the brakes afterward.