Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gas Tank pinhole repair help

Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Tank pinhole repair help

Hi I have a small pin hole on the bottom of my gas tank I found just after getting it all together and running. Theres stuff like permatex gas tank repair kit and its a black stick puddy theres also jb weld that dries in 24 hours wich I know works very well and theres stuff called seal all that my local auto parts store told me about.

I will probably get the red kote but for now I need something reliable maybe a fix that will last the longest wich one? I plan on taking the area down to bare metal and then applying whichever epoxy is the best.

Wich one do you think would be the best even if I haven't listed it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM

if its a pinhole and not some thing huge you can use por-15 and just paint over it or if its alittle bigger you can use some epoxy with a fiberglass mat and then por-15 over it
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
JB Weld would work, too.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 AM

From my experience JB Weld will only work temporarily. It will eventually start leaking again.

Seal All is probably your best bet, as it is gas and oil resistant.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It's GAS. Fix it right. If one hole, maybe more. Just did this a couple months ago. My local radiator shop tanked it, found all the holes, welded them up, red koted it then pressure tested it. Like brand new for $125 and never have to worry about it again.

Pics in my 1988 4Runner build up thread and on my FaceBook page.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM

Low Range Gas tank

Get a new one, Low Range has brand new
"17" gallon stock fitting gas tank for $140.00 beter than trying to fix a gas leak especially with the price of gas better known as liquid gold..do it right the first time....G
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 AM

A mechanically inclined/resourceful friend told me that if you use a bar of soap and rub it over the whole, you can stop the leak. How long it lasts, I don't know, but he said it has worked for him.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM

The inside the the tank looks deciend theres a few black specs in there after I pressure washed the inside but for the most part the inside is fine.

The rust is a orange peal look on the outside of tank and I sanded it and put some jb weld on ther 10 hours ago still hasn't cured but has set still a bit tacky. IF it failed ill rip it out again and rinse it out with water and wait a day for the fumes to subside and then ill go at it with some .025 wire and c25 on a nice low setting and fill in the rust pits on the outside

The rust is probably from the skid plate holding moisture
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM

So the fix failed but only because I didnt let it dry completely and I needed to drive 100km so my mom could get here truck in a different town. Also I did sand it pretty good but there was still a little paint in some other pits and I just wiped it with a dirty rag and a little gas from the pinhole was being smeared along the metal helping clean it but probably not as good as liquor thinner due to there being oil in it and it not evaporating almost instantly but that did not effect the bond at all so that worked really good even though being somewhat half assed.

It was still wet to the touch I mean it stuck to my finger and was still wet after letting it sit overnight outside in the cold.

It held for 2 hours and then I seen a little hole in the jm weld. It didn't get between the metal and the jb weld it just went straight threw and made a jb weld pinhole in the exact same location as the pinhole. To be expected they say it needs to cure before being oil and gas resistant.

So I drained the tank with the truck sitting at a down slop backwards until it wasn't dripping anymore then I jacked the ass end off the truck and placed a level on the box side and waited for the bubble to rise towards the back of the truck so that all the remaining fuel was at the front away from the back of the tank. I tightened the drain plug.

I scraped off the jb weld very easily kinda like a somewhat hardend puddy. I got some sand paper and sanded it really good shiny metal. like 4 inches around the pinhole and then I wiped it off with liquor thinner instantly I put the jbweld over the pinhole because the gas fumed start to build up in about half a minute or so and make the pinhole have gas residue around it. I spread the jb weld a little over 1 inch in diameter and this tme I put a incandescent light bulb about 4 inches from the bottom of the tank directly below the jb weld patch.

about an hour later it was set and I lef the light on it all day until I went to bed. The next morning about 24 hours later I put gas in the tank and drove it a friends and Theres not the slightest hint of any gas getting threw yet and its been 12 hours.

Jb weld doesn't like to dry in cold humid weather it needs heat I guess.

I have used the same stuff on a plastic gas tank on a motorbike and its not even ment for plastic but the plastic jb weld doesn't work with gas so I used the metal stuff that cures in 24 hours and I had that gas tank hit hard and plastic flexes and that tank never leaked and the tank didn't have holes it had 2 big huge slices right along the tank like someone took a machete and stabed right through the tank and it was all deformed inward.

jb weld in my mind is some of the best stuff out there for repairing things and is very gas resistant once cured.

Kinda disapoined in my traxxas tmaxx front bulkhead fix kinda gave out after 2 brutal runs smashing the crap out of the little nitro truck. no big deal it still held but the rear bulkhead wich was perfectly fine completely broke off from the bumper so now its sitting right now with some jb weld so save the day on the next 20 foot tmaxx jump lol

Im sure the jb weld will fail(maybe) but probably not until next summer it will start to weep between the bond(maybe). I ordered some redkote for about 56 dollars for a quart wich is enough to do my tank. I have some small diameter wire and c25 I can weld up the rust pits on the outside of the tank smooth it all out and redkote the inside.
I think I will rinse the tank out with my pressure washer and then let it sit for about a week before welding. should be good and if not ill be goto hell. lol

Last edited by dropzone; 11-19-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: censor picked up on language
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You said you jacked the ass end off a truck........
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 AM

jb-kwik sealed my boat and thats held for the last 7 years and i did no prep work on it just rubbed it over the hole lol to bad all the wood has rotted out now on that old boat
Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have to agree with Wabbit you have one pin hole in a little time you will have more

You will find them if you start to weld for the low cost of replacement tanks after getting it out of the truck.

I would go new.

Since the radiator repair shops around here don`t want to touch any thing but truck radiators .

It ends up like every thing else do it myself so it is done right except for a very few exceptions just to far away to visit on a regular basis.:jessica::jessica:
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 PM

48 hours with premium gas sitting in there 94 octaine. I sprayed some rustoleum 90% zinc power its like 15 dollars a can with the discount. I ued it because it will be very easy to spot anything seeping. as you can see nothing yet.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMG_0055.jpg
Old 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 96vettelt4
Get a new one, Low Range has brand new
"17" gallon stock fitting gas tank for $140.00 beter than trying to fix a gas leak especially with the price of gas better known as liquid gold..do it right the first time....G
Thanks dude When the time comes if the red kote ever fails or for some reason I don't sell my truck ever I will def be buying that. The cheapest one I can get ordered from the rad shop is like 310 not including tax the one you showed me I can get shipped to my door for 214 total.

For now Im pretty happy with the fix. I pressure washed the crap from the inside of the tank cause there was a lot of this nasty ˟˟˟˟ in there that killed the previous pump and sock filter. So the tanks nice and clean inside. I got a new pump and she runs without a hitch and the tank don't leak she gets me from A to B. If the JB weld starts to fail within like 2 months ill just jb weld it again until summer were theres some nice warm weather to get that redkote to cure properly in a breeze so I don't die from the fumes.

Ill keep you guys posted to see how long this fix works for you might be suprized.

Last edited by Fierce Legend; 11-17-2012 at 06:45 PM.