Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel issue?

I have a 1991 Toyota pickup 22re 2wd and can't seem to get my truck running. I think it has something to do with fuel because if I spray starter fluid it runs. I have checked if there was fuel coming out of the fuel rail and it seems to have a good amount of fuel. I have changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump and still isn't starting without starter fluid. I need help on what it could be?
Old 11-04-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
How did you get the starter fluid in? If the induction plumbing (the large tubes from the air filter to the throttle body) are disconnected, the VAF can't sense airflow and your fuel pump is not going to run.

Do you have any codes? If you have code 14 (just to pick one of them), the injectors will not open.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the engine turning over at all or is the starter just clicking?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Injectors not firing .

Then if you have the Air Intake removed as suggested .
Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No fuel,

#1 check injector pulse signal while cranking
#2 check for fuel pressure, easy was is to crack the cold start solenoid and see if you have pressure.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by krusty_45
#2 check for fuel pressure, easy was is to crack the cold start solenoid and see if you have pressure.
I don't recommend checking fuel pressure that way; the crush washers are NOT reusable and you risk a pressurized gasoline leak down the line.

The REALLY easy way to check for fuel pressure is at the fuel return line. A low pressure connection with ordinary spring hose clamps. Also reduces the risk of spraying high-pressure fuel all over the place. If fuel is coming out of that line the rail is pressurized.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
I don't recommend checking fuel pressure that way; the crush washers are NOT reusable and you risk a pressurized gasoline leak down the line.

The REALLY easy way to check for fuel pressure is at the fuel return line. A low pressure connection with ordinary spring hose clamps. Also reduces the risk of spraying high-pressure fuel all over the place. If fuel is coming out of that line the rail is pressurized.

Just my $0.02.
Many ways to skin a cat, Scopes way is easier, and should be done first to see if you even have any fuel at all.

Yes crush washers are "supposed" to be not reusable, but many many times they will work just fine. The real "correct" way is to get a fuel pressure test kit and hook it onto a banjo bolt at fuel rail, or cold start injector.

The reason I have tested at cold start is because i have seen fuel at the return line, but not enough pressure to really spray through some old dirty injectors. I. E. semi failing fuel pump. Manually powering the fuel pump, and cracking the banjo bolt (not undoing all the way) can give you an idea of pressure without a gauge.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM

The reason I have tested at cold start is because i have seen fuel at the return line, but not enough pressure to really spray through some old dirty injectors. I. E. semi failing fuel pump. Manually powering the fuel pump, and cracking the banjo bolt (not undoing all the way) can give you an idea of pressure without a gauge.
I don't think it works that way. If you have a semi-failing fuel pump that can't hit 44 psi, then nothing comes out of the FPR. If fuel is coming out, then the pressure in the rail is good. That's why it's a useful test. If the injectors are dirty they aren't going to work right, no matter what the pressure is (and if the pressure is too high, not even good injectors will work!)

The exception is the very rare case where the FPR fails completely, so that it dumps all the fuel out holding the rail at a pretty low pressure. In that case, do you really think you can tell the difference between 44psi and 10psi just looking at a leak? If you suspect the FPR, the only thing you can do is plumb in a fuel pressure gauge.

... Yes crush washers are "supposed" to be not reusable, but many many times they will work just fine. ...
Which means that some times they WON'T work fine. How many times is it "okay" to drip gasoline onto an exhaust manifold? I don't worry much about sealing up an exhaust line, and I don't get carried away cinching up a coolant line (as long as it's not leaking so fast it will empty the radiator). But gasoline is VERY different. Feel free to call me paranoid when it comes to something that will burn me to death.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Red face

I hope in another 40 years I can tell fuel pressure just by looking at a opened line.

I have not learned in the first 40.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Haha, wow ok. There are different ways of doing things that all work. If your scared of a couple drops of fuel, hire somebody else to do it. If you cant tell 5psi vs 40psi, spend money on a gauge set then do it. If you dont know how to reuse copper sealing washers, then buy new ones.

Im not here to argue how to do it, there are many different ways. OP can do whatever he likes, im here to try and help not to argue the "correct" way.

Either way, still sounds like no injector signal to me.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have seen great pressure but the injectors not firing. Have you ran a strong fuel cleaner or something to break up the gunk in the tank and clog the injectors? Seen that happen.

Here is a link for non firing injectors https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320 It appears your firing side is good so I would check the fuel side which you have mentioned. I get the little noid light from Radio Shack and see if I am getting a signal. Just because you are getting the signal, doesn't mean enough voltage is getting to the injector. A resistance check can pass a test but if it is a 50 wire strand and all are broken but one wire is connected, it will pass test. Something I learned the hard way. The crimps in the injector harness is a poor design.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Red face

Old habits are sometimes hard to break!!

Had a friend`s son back a few years do the open the fuel line test for pressure .

might have been fine just poor bad luck .

the fuel spray just happened to hit the trouble light hanging from the hood.

cold fuel hot glass did not mix well .

vapors went poof!!!

The loss of the garage was sad having burn scars on your face before you graduate High School sure cuts down on your dates.