Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front Bearing Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Bearing Replacement Questions

Okay the install seems pretty straight forward but....

Im looking at buying the parts and was wanting to make the right call in ordering them. I see a few different kind of bearings.

They show bearings that fit from:
7.5 7.8 9.5 ring gears
8.8 ring gears
and so on...

I also see bearing race and inner bearings.

Id assume I would need an outer and an inner but I also see bearing race.

So my question would be how do I determine what size ring gear and what parts do I need to replace the bearing set properly?

Symptoms of needing bearing replacement I noticed is front wheel shake, grease from 2 of the 6 lugs making a streak on the rim to the tire and when I jack up the wheel there is some play. Not a ton of play but there is a little play. It is a 1995 4runner with the 4.88 factory gearing.

Last edited by ridewrapper; 07-01-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is confusing. What bearings are you trying to replace? You have IFS on your Runner and you would need special tools to service the front diff, but then you're talking about wheel bearings which doesn't involve the front diff. The race is the 'cone' that the bearings seat into so for every bearing you need a race.

Are you sure you have a problem with bearings? Have you checked your ball joints and tie rod ends to make sure they aren't worn first? Typically, if wheel bearings go bad you'll get some kind of noise with it. I've had some that squeal and others that roar. If you don't have a noise, but you have wheel shake, I'd suspect a bad ball joint or tie rod end before anything else.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Okay! Okay! I want to replace the front driver side wheel bearing.
After what you said, I looked again and I was looking at the "differential Bearing assembly" that answers that question about the fitment. Also the race question is answered.

as for the wheel bearings being the problem what else would make oil/grease drip from the lug nuts? There is a whistle at low speeds also. I mean like 5mph slow speeds. I put on the manual hubs and all seemed fine at the time I took off the maunal hub yesterday and took a quick look and there is definatley play. I removed the C-Clip and the washer behind it, that axle definatley moves around with me pinching it with my thumb and pointer finger while wiggling it.

The truck has hardly been offroad before I bought it, The PO said he engaged the 4wd like 2x a year if that for snow trips. 0 drips, oil spots or grime under the truck all the bushings seem good so it seems hard to beleive the tie rods or ball joints would be bad. the truck also tracks pretty straight on the freeway. I mean It can quite well be what Sparks89 suggested but it everything seems to be in such good shape its hard to believe tie rods or ball joints are worn.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to inspect the whole front end to figure out where your play is coming from. It could be wheel bearings, or ball joints etc... An extra set of eyes and hands help immensely for that task.

Also... the bearings may just need serviced as opposed to replaced. Any grease coming from that area would imply a worn hub seal.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM

Ill repack and replace the seals first I guess.