Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Post! Just Got a 2nd-Gen 4Runner! Suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post! Just Got a 2nd-Gen 4Runner! Suggestions!

Hi guys, I just bought a '95 4Runner with 169k miles on it. Planning to turn it into a mild wheeler. Runs great with the exception of a slight tapping sound. Hopefully some of that Seafoam will remedy that issue. What is the best way to use that stuff? I also did not realize before getting these they were so gutless, and coming from
/ I need some help in this regard.

I am relatively new to modifying cars. My first inclination is to get rid of some of the air restriction stuff, for example with a setup like this. I've never messed with a car newer than '88 and never with a foreign car maker before so I'm entering entirely new territory for me. I could be totally wrong with what to do first... any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Wheeling around here is pretty great. I live in Kalispell, MT and there is some excellent wheeling around hungry horse, the north fork and olney. WOO!

OK! PICTURE-BUTTER-JELLY-TIME

Sam
Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to yotatech... i wouldint get that k&n kit check out the tech write-ups for some ideas
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 PM

well if the horse is hungry feed him :0 welcome lots of cool folks and tons of info and help
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

IT'S GREEN!!
(Sorry Green fan here)

Welcome to YotaTech and stay away from K&N, there is better out there...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 PM

You know, I couldn't tell before but I think the ass sags a bit. Also thinking about taking those running boards off asap.

Re: K&N What is suggested for the air intake?

Sam

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by samuraisam; 02-22-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to family.

Have you been living in the Flathead valley for long? I'm from West Glacier originally

Great looking 4Runner, before you know it, you'll be out of money, and have one sweet wheeler

Oh, and butt sag is par for the course.

Last edited by AndYota; 02-22-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM

AndYota: I've been living here for around 7 years. Thanks for the welcome.

-Sam
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
for the sag i would get new springs search around its been talked about and for the intake see my first post
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM

heres a start
-remove runnung boards
-get sliders
-arb or TJM bumper
-winch
-true flo filter
-diff breather mod
-paint wheels black
-lift
-bigger tires
-KC Lights
-3.4L swap
-window tint
-1st gen roll bar
-on board air
-locking rear diff
-hi-lift jack
-tow strap
-solid axle swap
-cb radio

and the best part, when you're done doing these things to seperate yourself from the crowd, you'll finally be just like everyone else
Old 02-23-2007, 05:17 AM

I like how you slip in that 3.4 swap in the middle of the list.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Here is a list of the more easier/cheaper things you can do. For starters do this mod it's free for more airflow https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130/airbox-modification-3-0-v6-engine-75127/

Next ditch your stock running boards. Front mudflaps from a truck of the same year group will bolt right on.

After that fix your saggy butt
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/downey-coils-bilstein-shocks-2nd-gen-4runner-76341/ This was probably the best mod I ever did to my 4-Runner. The ride difference was night and day going to the Bilsteins from my stock shocks with 120K on them.

Do a search for the Seafoam thread there are pages upon pages of info about it.

This oughta get you started. Read through the tech section for more ideas on things to do and just keep your eyes open. I bought my Runner 5 years ago with no knowledge about it.. here's what Yotatech did to it

Here's a shot if her right after I got it back in 2000.

And here's a shot when it was still my DD before the cutting began. It had a 2" BL and 33's with 4.88's and open diffs.

Now it's SASed and sitting on 37's!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HEY DUDE!

Welcome to Yotatech. I was wondering when you were going to post up on here

Did you guys get that snow last night? We got a little bit, but not a whole lot.

Oh, and like I said, that engine restore stuff for the V6 works great! Fixed my truck of that clicking noise from the lifters in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by Jimmeh; 02-23-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YT.
Some folks don't like the K&N and other folks [myself included] love them it seems to depend on where you live and what kind of 4 wheeling you do... the people who live in the southwest or who do a lot of desert/beach off roading don't like it because it lets a lot off dust in but the people who live in other areas seem to have no problem with it, so it's really up to you.
pulling the running boards is a good idea and also cheap you could probably sell them for what a set of front mudflaps costs at the stealer.
other then that I would have all fluids drained and replaced with fresh and a full chassis lube job & tune up done this will "zero-time" all the repetitve maintenance items and you will know where you are from that stand point.
Then make sure you stay on top of it and you should have years of worry free service from the vehicle.
oh yeah! register yourself aith toyota as the owner so you get all the service and recall notices there are 2 that woul apply an old headgasket recall from years ago and one that came out about a year ago for the steering. You have to love a company that will do a full recall on a vehicle that can be up to yrs old.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by CILO
I like how you slip in that 3.4 swap in the middle of the list.
yeah its a real quick mod
Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 AM

Thank you guys so much for the advice thus far.

I'm still really new at this so please correct me if I'm wrong or point me in at a different vendor if these guys are overpriced. Also, not still not sure if it's OK to link to retail sites (some forums don't allow that). So here it goes:

It looks like I will want to start off with a 2" body lift. This will hopefully allow me to install a set of headers easier by raising the body and allowing me to get to the manifolds from the wheel wells. Then, to fix the sag I'll replace the rear shocks with these and the fronts with these. Then, following that tech write-up, replace the rear coil springs with this set. Sound good for a weekend project?

-Sam
Old 02-23-2007, 09:30 AM

K&N ,Amsoil Airraid, or a Cheap A$$ Ebay system. Whatever? Do any of them really make that big of a difference. Honestly, can you tell the difference between the filters? Some how I doubt it. The most important is that your vehicle likes it. NO CODES!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome!

You need some WabFab love!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
This oughta get you started. Read through the tech section for more ideas on things to do and just keep your eyes open. I bought my Runner 5 years ago with no knowledge about it.. here's what Yotatech did to it

What bumper do you have on there?

-Sam
Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
yeah its a real quick mod
Hi,
I did my 3.4 swap in 50 hours from pulling in the garage to back on the highway. Makes everything else so much better. I tried the header thing and all. sAve your money for a SWAP. You will love it and your friends will hate you.

Last edited by Kutter; 02-23-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Welcome to yota. I would not do any mod to the 3.0 that cost over $50. It is a gutless motor. Accept if for what it is. IN GENERAL,<-(for all you YT vets on here) you can send about 2k into the 3.0 and come out with MAYBE 50bhp. I would recomend saving the money you would put into the 3.0 and save it for a 3.4 swap. If your lucky might be able to come across a donor for around 2k or less. Then you can build the 3.4 up to 300bhp if you want. Far better investment in my opinion.

Quick Reply: First Post! Just Got a 2nd-Gen 4Runner! Suggestions!