86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First attempt at bumper fabrication...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First attempt at bumper fabrication...

So... my first attempt at bumper fabrication. I went drew this up some time ago:

I have very limited tools, so I had to design around that AND being my first time starting something from almost scratch I wanted to keep it simple. I started off with Trail-Gear's winch cradle-thing (tube bumpers are cool, but I'd rather have a plate bumper).

The 3D model shown above was just for fun. I actually drew the bumper orthographically, separated the major plates, and threw on a few dimensions (AutoCAD). Then I went to Blue Collar Supply in Sac (open on Saturdays and excellent service!) and had them shear the largest, most visible pieces ($1 per cut).

Having it drawn out was great, because I knew the pre-cut pieces would actually work (I inserted a front elevation picture of a 1st gen 'Runner and scaled it to be approximately 1:1 based off of several measurements from my real one.

I went to work with my 100-amp Lincoln (multiple passes for 3/16" steel, mind you) and really got to practice on my welding. Anyway, below are some pics. You'll see a few last minute changes were thrown in.

Overall, I have about $220 into it (not counting the winch). Its been installed for 20 minutes now and I'm already looking at what I could have done differently. The "endcaps" need some more work as I didn't really think that part of it through. Those look unfinished. And the corners should really be chamfered. Aside from that, performance is more important. It holds a winch and I reinforced it in case I need to pummel my way through something. Lemme know if y'all have any suggestions: I yearn for constructive criticism, but not big on insults.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Well done, can't really tell it's a first timer project from the pictures

Box the back side and it'll be super strong, and of course bevel the corners for a slicker look.

I don't like the downward facing tow hooks but thats just me, to much work to get freed up when you run over the poor miata
Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Well done, can't really tell it's a first timer project from the pictures

Box the back side and it'll be super strong, and of course bevel the corners for a slicker look.

I don't like the downward facing tow hooks but thats just me, to much work to get freed up when you run over the poor miata
Hey thanks man! I lol'd on the Miata. I'll probably use the hooks elsewhere, and move a heavy duty D-ring onto the front receiver or something.

I definitely will plan on boxing it in down the road... I can fore see all kinds of crap making it's way into the cavity.