Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

final idling question for 92 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
final idling question for 92 3vze

I've been working on my idle for a while and have made some progress.
It is much better than before, the only thing that I still see is a slight 'breathing' or 'whooshing' at times, but it's pretty rare.

I have changed cap, rotor and plugs, put in a K&N, new fuel filter, oil filter, cleaned throttle body, seafoamed, and checked vacuum hoses (just sprayed with choke cleaner, listened for changes, nothing). New exhaust, headers, cat and muffler. I've also played with the idler speed screw to find the best position.

Just wanted to check if there were any other things that I can do for the idle.
do you recommend getting the throttle bored out and cleaned professionally?

-when cleaning the throttle body, I can clean the entranceway, but when I open the throttle, it's still dirty way inside, I can't reach it. (goes deep).

Also I have not looked at the injectors. do you recommend cleaning these?

thanks a lot for helping me in getting the idle rock solid and steady.

T
Old 05-10-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the TPS. It won't ever idle correctly unless the TPS is properly adjusted or operating correctly.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...93throttle.pdf

Mike in AR
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Injectors pulled and cleaned...wow

After reading MANY posts and replacing wires, plugs, cap, rotor, seafoaming, new belts, K&N, etc, I couldn't get my idle perfect. It was still stumbling + surging. I took the plunge and brought my 1992 3vze into the shop. I had called the dealership to see if they'd "clean my injectors" and they quoted me $200. I asked what they meant, and they said that they would 'flush them". To me this means no effect. I asked them how much for pulling and having them cleaned ultrasonically and they said $700. damn!

Downey charges about $30 a piece and there are some other cheaper ones online, but I didn't feel confident pulling them myself, and I also wanted a professional to check out my throttle body, do a deep cleaning of that, inspect and adjust the TPS and do a general fine-tuning. I found Dr. Injector (there are a lot of them in the Puget Sound area) and spoke with Steve. Awesome guy if you are near Seattle, he referred me to a local shop.

I talked them down to $400 for ultrasonically cleaning all injectors, cleaning throttle body, clean intake manifold, and fine tune. Considering that the ultrasonic service for the injectors would be $200 including tax, I felt that it was a good deal.

I brought the car in last night, and got a call at about 5pm today, that it was done. (about 12 hour turnaround).

I got the printout from Dr. Injector- and all my hopes were justified.

Each injector was tested for flow rate- out of a possible 95ml, my injectors were 84/83/84/85/83/83. The spray pattern was bad/bad/bad/fair/bad/bad.
No wonder!!!!!! even with headers/new exhaust, if your injectors are in that kind of shape, how can you hope to get performance!!

after the full service to injectors, my flow was 95ml on every one, and the spray pattern perfect on every one, and the performance gains listed at 12-14% total flow rate inprovement.

When I came to pick up the car, the engine was sparkling, the throttle body gleaming, adjusted, new injectors in place, and the 'runner HUMS. the idle is strong and no hesitation, throttle responsive...this was the most dramatic (mod?) so far. I feel like everything has worked out in this step.

All this to say...if you are working on your engine and have not yet done this step, of having the injectors PULLED and cleaned at a special injector place, DO IT, you will feel like you have a new engine. and have your throttle body and TPS and intake manifold cleaned at the same time, totally worth it!!!

sorry for the long post, I'm just excited about the improvement. thanks
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm.. sounds like a good idea i mit have to consider this myself
Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Great Info! I've cross-posted a link to this thread in TOYOTANATION.COM equivalent forum FYI...
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to clean and rebuild the injectors is $12 a peice at cruzinperformance.

http://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html

so a set of 6 with shipping will set you back like $80

not $200

he also sends data sheets etc. mine had simular results except after cleaning mine they all flowed ~100ml
Old 05-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I am posting the injector stats

I'm going to try and post the injector stats so you can see the huge difference in before and after performance.
last night I took the 'runner' for a test drive and I was laughing on the highway...this is sick to have it running so well...I can feel it running at tiptop capacity. I recommend it for everybody. forget all the fuel additives and injector cleaner fluids and solutions, you will never get them clean like this. make sure to get the intake and throttle cleaned too if you get it done.
I hope you can see this-
AHHH!! why can't I post any pictures? 48K? how do I get my scan that small!!
now it's too small...what is the best way to post pics?
Attached Thumbnails final idling question for 92 3vze-injector-results_3.jpg  

Last edited by taikowaza; 05-12-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Try black and white or grayscale, it usually makes them come out incredibly small. Also change the dpi of the scan.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

injector cleaning

snap-on-
you're totally right, cruizin' performance offers the service for $12.
I was in touch with him and would do it, but didn't feel comfortable pulling my own plugs and cleaning/tuning everything myself. I replaced plugs, rotor, cap, change fluids and battery, but injectors is beyond me so far.
I admire you for doing your own, I have to get more ambitious.
I'm impressed that you got flow more than 100ml in each of your injectors. When I saw 95 on all of mine, I assumed that this was the maximum possible.
I wonder if he modified yours...how do you get more open than clean?
Perhaps the machine he used was different. I have to do more research into this area. All I know is that after this cleaning, the difference is the most dramatic since I installed headers. This is the one that I was waiting for, I am a true believer in this injector procedure.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

22re with header K/N and Cam still the lopping at idile called LC Eng. tech says "BUY"(sounded like a CS to me) new injectors now I'm focused'...I want to tackle those little f$@#@ in my driveway. so you just pry them out with a screw driver haha
Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

good luck crackerjack you can do it. you are going to see a HUGE difference once those injectors are clean, you will appreciate your headers way more. I am loving the smooth acceleration and seamless idle. totally worth it.
are you going to send them to downey, cruizin', LC?
i also asked about new injectors, most people told me no reason, not worth it, once your stock injectors are clean and flowing 95/100ml with good spray patterns you will be happy believe me
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

injectors a long time ago

sorry for not getting back in a timely fashion I work " like"all the time. Replacing injectors is something I'm gonna do when I pull motor (soon)!!
I kinda got idling and performance tamped down as problems. Now I having a mech install trutrac rear and r/p front. Just trying to priorative according to easiest to fix.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Anyone know someone good in the los angeles area who can do the same type of work Dr injector does? Sounds like it made a big difference in preformance.