Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fender flares, 1st gen runner (did a lot of looking, nada)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fender flares, 1st gen runner (did a lot of looking, nada)

Looking through the NM vehicle laws today doing some research and found that NM is "unclear" on whether or not I need flares and/or mudflaps, I think that WA has laws for this and with the move coming up I want to get it done. Since I don't want to get pulled over, and I don't want to sling any more crap than I have to into the rig when I'm wheeling (the other tires would throw mud/gravel inside the rig with the windows down so I'm sure these will be worse) I did some looking on here (about 25 threads) and online but can't find what I'm looking for.

I've seen Lebra flares, Thai flares, Bushwackers, JC Whitney flares, and a host of other fiberglass options but none of them are for a 1st gen runner. I've seen where folks have cut the body to adapt others but would prefer not to do that and I don't want something that will get munched when I go wheeling.

The tires stick out almost 3" in the rear and dang near 4" in front. (pics)

Think it makes the rig look tough with that stance (thanks Wabbit for the spacers!)

Any ideas? Something universal that doesn't look like poop? I'm hoping for something that will bolt on and look sort of factory. Oh and on the mud flaps I know I'm going to have to make my own but would love some that say Toyota on them like the factory ones do.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
what size tires and backspace/width rims are those? My 33 x 12.50's don't stick out that far.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
what size tires and backspace/width rims are those? My 33 x 12.50's don't stick out that far.
Tires are 285/75/16's on 16x8's with 4.75" BS. Short story is that I bought those wheels at the advice of the GM at a local tire/wheel chain store (who owns an 88 4runner) since he said that they would not rub and would tuck the tires like I wanted. Well the dang tires rubbed on the upper control arm at full droop and when I called to complain his response was to tell me that they do not do returns on mounted wheels (even though he advised that I use them), they can't account for "off-road" conditions, and that I was pretty much SOL. So I ordered 1.5" wheel spacers from Wabfab so I could drive it, then had to cut some metal so they'd stop rubbing......

Last edited by Junkers88; 04-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
but none of them are for a 1st gen runner
Actually, bushwacker does make them specific for the 4runner:

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp...&search=Search

there's always the garden edging option:
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure you've already seen the cheap alternative - these will make you legal until you find something better, just make sure to paint any screw holes and the screws themselves after install

Bushwacker front flares for the '86-'89 pickup should be the same (when was the p/u body change - 89 or 90?). I know bushwacker also used to offer rear flares for the 4runner and those were definitely different than the p/u (I had a set of 4, rear won't work without a bit of plastic work). Also, don't forget about ToyotaFiberglass.com - they have complete front fenders with extra coverage

I wouldn't worry about Washington as long as you still have your NM plates on, legally I don't think they can fine you for their motor vehicle code as long as you're registered in another state.

BTW, When are you moving?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Numbchux~ Thanks! I couldn't find the BW flares for the 1st gen when I looked, of course I can't afford them right now but it is an option for later.

Corax~ That cheap alternative was what I was looking for but couldn't find it for some reason. Thank you for that. I should be moving near the end of the year (September or so). We're hoping for Fairchild AFB with the work my girl friend does.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by corax
I'm sure you've already seen the cheap alternative - these will make you legal until you find something better, just make sure to paint any screw holes and the screws themselves after install

Bushwacker front flares for the '86-'89 pickup should be the same (when was the p/u body change - 89 or 90?). I know bushwacker also used to offer rear flares for the 4runner and those were definitely different than the p/u (I had a set of 4, rear won't work without a bit of plastic work). Also, don't forget about ToyotaFiberglass.com - they have complete front fenders with extra coverage

I wouldn't worry about Washington as long as you still have your NM plates on, legally I don't think they can fine you for their motor vehicle code as long as you're registered in another state.
BTW, When are you moving?
THAT is untrue...ask me how I know...

Junk, man I run bushwackeriers on my rig. They're off a truck but fit just fine. The passenger rear flare is out of place because of the difference in gas door location truck vs. 4Runner
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

See:

These are not the "pocket style" just the 1.5-2" ones. I actually got these from a guy on here....I didn't want new ones due to the fact that I WILL probably destroy these. The regular price is $$$

These bad boys right hurra: http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp...&search=Search
Now it says second gens BUT mine fit just fine...

Last edited by BigBluePile; 04-04-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile

Junk, man I run bushwackeriers on my rig. They're off a truck but fit just fine. The passenger rear flare is out of place because of the difference in gas door location truck vs. 4Runner
I contacted the local 4Wheel Parts place about the BW flares. Get this.... 160$ for the front pair, 275$ for the rear pair and it's a 5 hour (at 60$ an hour) install. They "recommend" the in-house install.......735$??? Goodness!!!!

I'll look at the cheap option that corax posted and go that route.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Does that really count as a "flare" as far as the law is concerned? I mean you have a lot of tire sticking out there that isn't covered.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Tread, just have to cover the tread contact patch....
Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that seems like an excessive amount for some flares, I had some on my truck when I bought it and they didn't survive the first wheeling trip. I used to live in Longview which is still pretty far from where you say you might be going, but the cops there cared more about mudflaps than fender flares, I had an 85 K5 blazer with 35-12.50's that stuck out and I got harassed about mudflaps but never flares.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM

Tread, just have to cover the tread contact patch....
Not that I want to argue but it seems to me that the contact patch of tread on a 35/12.50 is about what..... 10"? You have (from what I can see) about 3" of tread sticking out past the flare.

I only say that so I can have a valid argument if I get pulled over.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

It just covers the tread man. Trust me, I JUST got pulled over(by TWO Higways and a Local) the other day and they were more than satisfied by my "coverage"
Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
THAT is untrue...ask me how I know...
I believe you. A SanFran meter maid gave me a ticket for no front license plate even though PA only issues rear plates. I mailed in the ticket with that explanation and it got overturned. Cops can site for whatever they want, but the citation should fall if contested and a valid reason is given - for example "it's legal in my state." It also helps if you carry a copy of the statute with you in the glovebox, people with tint are somewhat familiar with this.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Corax~ That cheap alternative was what I was looking for but couldn't find it for some reason. Thank you for that. I should be moving near the end of the year (September or so). We're hoping for Fairchild AFB with the work my girl friend does.
If it works out . . . . You are invited to join our 9th annual Pismo Jamboree held at the Oceano Dunes SVRA on September 24-25, 2011.

Last edited by corax; 04-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Indeed. I had the state partol here tell me that it doesn't matter: "that may fly in CO but you in WA...." True, I could contest in court if I did get the ticket....I'm just trying to NOT go thru that hassel. So, I conform to the local laws. It also tends to be WHERE youre at around this state. Some don't care, some have nothing better to do. Sadly, I think Yotas get nailed more because a GOOD percentage of jeeps are NOT in any compliance and they're the majority around these parts of which I reside.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
see the problem is, what if their laws conflict with your laws. Meaning if one state wants something one way which puts in violation of the vehicle's registered state where you live, well........ I rememebr talking about this a while back and moab came up as an example of how many people get nailed for violating Utah laws, when their vehicles are registered in other states. They ticket you and they know that your not gonna come back to fight it, especially if your half way across the country. To me that's a fine line and should be considered entrapment. Only laws they should ticket you for is wreck-less, careless driving, speed limits, illegal parking, etc etc. And maybe traveling in the wrong lane while not passing someone, like is a law in PA. Your not allowed to drive in the left lane unless passing. But most state cops will just pull you over, just to give you a warning if you have an out of state lic. Afterall, you do not have a PA lic, how are you supposed to really know the state laws unless they are clearly posted, like a highway speed limit is.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want a decent flare that holds up well to wheeling and yet can take a shine with a bit of wet shine on date night check out Pacer universal fender flares. I had the HD steel reinforced ones on a previous truck and they lasted for years, after which I sold the truck. They won't freeze or crack, and do well against tree rub. You can get all 4 wheel wells done for well less than $100 and will only take you about 2 hours/4 beers to install by yourself.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Update here: I got a line on a set of BW cut out style flares (I'll tell you how much they cost when they get here, don't want to jinx it) that are going to work out well since I found some rust on the rear passengers side of the back fender . What I need to know, since there are no directions or mounting hardware, is

1) How much do you need to cut and is it as easy as mounting the flare with you hand and just drawing a line with a sharpie?
2) How in the heck do they attach to the fenders?

I looked online at some pictures and it looks like there are "dents" in the upper part of the flare where the bolts go. I'm guessing a trip to the hardware store will get me what I need to mount them?

Thank you again folks for all the help.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
1. Not much, a wedge about 1" wide at the bottom out of the front fender, no cutting in back:

2. Rivets, 1/8" pop rivets are what come in the kit, plus some plastic washers/caps to cover them.

Rivet holes:

Quick Reply: Fender flares, 1st gen runner (did a lot of looking, nada)