86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fender flares

Ok here is the question I need fender flares but in all reality it only needs to cover like may a 1/4 inch of my tires does anyone know if there is like a stock flare from some other truck that would fit my 90 4runner or am I going to have to go with like bushwacker or something like that? also does anyone have the stock running boards or like nerf bars for a 90 4runner they would like to sell?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 AM

Unless the five-oh is going to hassle you for having your tires a whole 1/4" outside your wheel wells, I wouldn't worry about it. Really, how big is 1/4"? The length of an ant, maybe? If you do slap some flares on, you will end up with your tires being completely inside the flares. All this does is make your truck look weird because it seems the axles aren't wide enough or something. I suggest you just leave it be.

edit: I have limited edition flares on my 4runner from the factory. The truck looked great when I was rolling with 33x12.5's (although they were utterly bald and crap) but then I replaced them with 31x10.5's. Since then the truck has looked a little goofy.

Last edited by da_bigg_wigg; 02-06-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM

well here is the thing if it was a year ago I would have done nothing but here in utah they just got way strict on it and as for the 50 no they wont do anything im sure but it wont pass inspections without them and it may be more like maybe a half inch that sticks out they just alow you to have like a quarter showing.

Look on ebay for 2nd gen flares from overseas. The Asian and European models all had them. They are about 1" wide and look good with stock wheels/tires. I personally wouldn't worry about 1/4 inch - just put some mud flaps on and forget about it.

One guy with a very wide tire/wheel package put on Bushwacker flares from a pickup - they fit the rear wheel openings great and didn't interfere with the rear doors. Wish I would have saved the pic.

Not the best example, but it kind of shows what I mean. In case anyone is wondering, I'm disconnecting the sway bar before hitting up a trail.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 AM

Those are the JDM ones off ebay. They are fiberglass - people overseas say they crack when hit on the trail. I'm looking for something very flexible that goes out about 1.5-2". anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 AM

Bushwackers...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 AM

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...unner-38s.html

These look nice but they are for huge tires. I just need to cover 33's. I was surprised how good 37's and these flares looked.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need to pass inspection, buy a roll of those fender flares from jcwhitney, the ones with the flat backside that your supposed to screw on, and use 3m double sided tape to temp. hold them on, then take them off when your done. Or just leave em, on, they don't look that bad.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg

Not the best example, but it kind of shows what I mean. In case anyone is wondering, I'm disconnecting the sway bar before hitting up a trail.
Was that Picture taken in Quesnel BC???????????????? Cause that whole AREA looks like Quesnel! Nice Flares by the way.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Was that Picture taken in Quesnel BC???????????????? Cause that whole AREA looks like Quesnel! Nice Flares by the way.
Wow! I'm beyond impressed that you recognize the place! Yeah, that's the A&W as you come into town. There is a trail that weaves into and along the Fraser River out towards Barkerville, so we were assembling the group there. I'm originally from Prince George, which is an hour away from Quesnel.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

I know, i lived in Q-town for like 6 years! when i saw that A&W i was like, that looks REALLY familar!!!!! Which trail did you take? there are a few, I've been down alot. and i used to love eating at A&W there. What are the chances. Nice flares. when was the last time you where there?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM

I was there last sometime in August. It was the trail that has a mudhole called "one way down" or something like that. It has the one way street pointing into a big hole. It looked deep, so I believed the sign. We spent the night in a cabin along the river.
The flares look nice, but they have one big issue. That issue is rust. They really like to hold water between themselves and the body, meaning the body is a little cancerous underneath the flares itself. I discovered this when I actually ended up ripping off one of the flares on the trail. Haha, it was actually on that very same run! Regardless, I don't really care. The truck is destined to be a dedicated trail rig, so I'll just cut the cancer out. Hell, if I'm going to be rolling on bigger meats, I'll need to anyways haha
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

i've been on that trail, hve you ever been on Yanks Peak? i loved it there. Anyway, if i do get flares (which i will someday) i'll seal them so nothing gets in or out and then spary the bottom half of my truck with rocker guard.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Hows this for Factory Flares over in Europe:

not to mention the factory headlight washers and turbo diesel engine. along with the non chrome power mirrors which i'll do when i get my truck painted if i can ever afford it.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Hows this for Factory Flares over in Europe:

not to mention the factory headlight washers and turbo diesel engine. along with the non chrome power mirrors which i'll do when i get my truck painted if i can ever afford it.
Those are exactly the flares I have on my truck. Canada has a lot more cool Toyota stuff than the U.S, such as older Land Cruisers and special editions of trucks.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 AM

i've been on that trail, hve you ever been on Yanks Peak? i loved it there. Anyway, if i do get flares (which i will someday) i'll seal them so nothing gets in or out and then spary the bottom half of my truck with rocker guard.
You'll have to tell me how to get there. We're (my wheeling buddies and I) are always looking for new trails. I'll be back in PG for summer, so I need to try to get at least a couple of good runs in.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM

well i need to cover 33s im not stock but I just know to pass I can only show like a 1/4 in I think I will just do the cheap ones and take them off after
Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
You'll have to tell me how to get there. We're (my wheeling buddies and I) are always looking for new trails. I'll be back in PG for summer, so I need to try to get at least a couple of good runs in.
Well the you'll Love Yanks Peak as much as i did. when i first went, it was with my Uncle and he brought his Ford250 and followed was his 91 explorer. well the first big hole washed out by water the explorer got stuck. I'm not too sure how to get there, it has been over 2 years since i was last there.

^I was not present here, but this is where my Uncles explorer got stuck^

But if you ask anybody there, I can almost promise you'll get some good directions. I do know it is on the way to Barkerville.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 PM

niiice. i'll have to go there.

Quick Reply: fender flares