86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fan switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan switch replacement

Hey everyone. It's been for ever sense I last posted on here.
Does anyone know how to replace the fan control switch on my 1990 toyota truck? My switch does not work on high if any one was wonder the reason for me replacing it.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Fairly simple, just replaced mine, PO had broke the switch and opted to just put a toggle switch in for "HIGH" only mode, be careful thou the small snaps that hold the switch in can get brittle with age.

Only bad part is that you have to remove all the lower panels to get everything off. You will need to get the center radio panel off, remove both sides (steering wheel side and the glove box side) to remove the center panel, do not forget that there is a hidden screw under the temperature panel, you can do a search to remove it there are plenty of write ups, long story short use a small screw driver or pick, remove the knobs and then start in the lower right hand corner and gently pry to start, move to each corner as it comes loose.

Then there are two screws that hold the 4 lever assembly on, your switch is mounted to the bottom left as you look at it, there is not much room there to unplug the switch or at least mine was a tight fit, unplug the switch, the light for that panel is also attached to the switch, might want to twist it gently and remove it first, once you have it unplugged and the light removed you can then push the whole unit up a couple inches to give you access to the bottom.

The PO had broken the tabs on mine so I used some epoxy and glued mine back in, hope it never goes out again. I bought a used switch from "Eprey" for $20 with shipping, looked in very good shape, there are 2 large wires in the top of the connector (wiring harness) and 4 small, one of my small ones looked like it had got hot at some point, the white plastic was black around it, so when it was done I did not have the "LOW" setting but have the other 3, so I'm happy, could still be in the switch but I'm thinking the wiring, either way I like having the new switch and not a missing lever and a goofy toggle on the dash.

Good luck, on my scale its a 2 busted knuckle job, but only because you have to remove so much to do it and the wiring was so tight on mine. On a side note the PO had punched the block out for the factory clock and then tried to glue it back on, I also bought the factory clock for like $20 as well and installed it, seems like from everything I read the clocks go out frequently but its better than having the plastic bounce around. PM me if you run into a snag, but it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited by angrydogtattoo; 09-26-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will look at doing this weekend.