Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

faint oil light on new truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faint oil light on new truck

hello everybody!

I just bought this 1989 pickup yesterday it has a 22RE (EFI) with 5spd transmission

but when I started it up on the trailer in the driveway to park it next to the house, after it had been running for a bit the oil light came on faintly (not as bright as the seatbelt light is if the seatbelt light comes on, for instance). I did not notice this at all when I took it for a ~5mile trip before loading it on the trailer and bringing it home.

the engine runs fine and sounds ok, but the oil light comes on every time after 4 or 5 minutes of running (from cold)

when the oil light comes on I shut it off, and then if I start it back up again before it has had time to cool off all the way, the oil pressure light is still on, so I shut it off again.

when the truck is cool again, I can start it up, it runs fine for 5 minutes or so, and then the oil light comes on faintly again (rinse and repeat)

The temperature gauge doesn't work, so I really can't tell if it is happening when the truck gets up to operating temp or not.

I did however find this wire that comes off of a harness that seems to have the connectors for the oil pressure sensor on it (???) and it is unplugged. However I can't find anywhere to plug it in.

At the house I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge I was going to install tomorrow when I get done with my classes, but I'm at work now so I figured I'd see if you toyota experts know anything, as this is my first one.

(sorry about the blurry pics)
Derrick

<edit>

oil level was about 1/2 quart low when I started it the first time and it ran for a while before the light came on.

no oil has leaked out since I topped it off
Attached Thumbnails faint oil light on new truck-dscn2327edited.jpg   faint oil light on new truck-dscn2329-2-.jpg   faint oil light on new truck-dscn2321-2-.jpg  

Last edited by operose; 03-18-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not really sure but, welcome to yoda tech
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
not really sure but, welcome to yoda tech
thanks!

I just realized that there is a "newbie technical" section or something like that, so maybe this post belongs there. Sorry!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM

i cant tell from your pictures, but the oil pressure sender is located right next to the oil filter. Should have one wire coming off of it with a connector. Im having the same problem, im going to be replacing that sender with a mechanical gauge.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM

OK. I have an oil pressure gauge I bought for my car that I will hook up in the truck tomorrow instead. I just bought this truck hopefully the engine isn't junk (it runs ok)

<edit>
I've been digging through the online 1993 FSM, and I found on pg 3 of engine lubrication - oil pump a "pressure regulator valve" that is a piston that needs to move freely in it's chamber ...

is it possible that this thing is not moving correctly once the engine is warmed up a little, and causing my dummy light to come on once the truck warms up?

Last edited by operose; 03-18-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Can you get a better picture of that? It doesn't look like your oil sensor plug. The oil sender is located directly behind the pass side mount, under the oil filter. Should be round with a rubber cap over it with a wire sticking out of it.

Check to make sure that is tight.

Once you check pressure with the mechanical gauge, you might look into whether the sensor is faulty.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Can you get a better picture of that? It doesn't look like your oil sensor plug. The oil sender is located directly behind the pass side mount, under the oil filter. Should be round with a rubber cap over it with a wire sticking out of it.

Check to make sure that is tight.

Once you check pressure with the mechanical gauge, you might look into whether the sensor is faulty.
sorry, all I could get were blurry pics. I'll try again tomorrow since I couldn't find anything to hook it up to

if I hook up the gauge and the truck has oil pressure but then it drops real low when it warms up I will take the pump apart and check that valve I mentioned before, unless that is dumb
Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM

from what i can tell from the pic, that hanging connector looks a lot like the one for the temp sensor; would explain your temperature gauge not working. as for the oil pressure, i would replace that $4 sender before i did anything. funny readings like that are often due to faulty sensors. not being scary, but an oil pressure drop when warm is indicative of worn out bearings = excessive oil clearance.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Staff

$4?? From where?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by toy power
from what i can tell from the pic, that hanging connector looks a lot like the one for the temp sensor; would explain your temperature gauge not working. as for the oil pressure, i would replace that $4 sender before i did anything. funny readings like that are often due to faulty sensors. not being scary, but an oil pressure drop when warm is indicative of worn out bearings = excessive oil clearance.
yeah if you could let me know where to get the sensor for $4 I'll replace that ASAP

I guess now I need to figure out where the temp sensor is so I can figure out if it is plugged in.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:05 PM

well I completely disconnected the low oil pressure light, and hooked up a gauge today, the oil pressure is fine, but the light was still on (who cares)
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Staff

so prolly the sender is bad then. Replace the sender, check it again.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 PM

four bucks from autozone or advance. bring on the hate for not using oem toy parts.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Staff

Talk to strap22, he will get you a factory sender for a great price.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by toy power
four bucks from autozone or advance. bring on the hate for not using oem toy parts.
We wont hate you, we'll just make you change your name since you dont like using Toyota parts!