Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Failed smog in CA :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey bud, .... PM'd you as I didn't want to bog this down where it's seemingly 'SOLVED', ya know?

REALLY happy for ya, and I learned a lot as well
Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passed the smog test today!

the little metal tube coming from the EGR was completely clogged.
So, I ended up spending a about 3 bucks in vacuum hoses, a few hours of welding the exhaust up, and a taking the EGR apart and cleaning it all out.
Seems to be running better now, a little more power and sounds a whole lot better without the sick exhaust sound.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Wow, GREAT NEWS, MAN! Definitely different looking EGR compared to mine.... Good work, SC!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lankan
It's got 31x10.5x15 tires, stock 3vze engine, gears are stock I suppose. That's about it... no mods. I'm thinking it should be getting at least 20mpg!!
It doesn't sound like this could be associated with your smog problem, but I noticed that I got a little better mileage (like 2-3mpg) when I replaced the fuel filter and the air intake sensor. The sensor is a more expensive part, but it made a big difference in performance as well as helping with gas. Good luck man. Hope you get the bugger!

PS - Looks like at max stock you should be getting 19 or 20 mpg http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=11495
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSlim
It doesn't sound like this could be associated with your smog problem, but I noticed that I got a little better mileage (like 2-3mpg) when I replaced the fuel filter and the air intake sensor. The sensor is a more expensive part, but it made a big difference in performance as well as helping with gas. Good luck man. Hope you get the bugger!

PS - Looks like at max stock you should be getting 19 or 20 mpg http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=11495
Hey Slim... ,

You speaking about the AFM(MAF in his I suppose) Ambient Air Temp Sensor(looks like a lil cone in mine) inside of the actual Air Flow Meter? I know the resistance strips wind up getting tired in some cases.... causing wonky readings... But just curious, cuz I KNOW I've read that Air Intake Sensor being replaced more than once as well.

???

Thanks, Slim, just a curious sort, haha.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM

SCToy, congrats on passing smog! I FINALLY went in for my 3rd smog yesterday. Passed with flying colors!! I was watching while the testing was done and was so nervous. After fixing the wire from the upstream O2 to the computer (which wasn't working at all) and there was a wiring issue with the downstream sensor as well. After those two were corrected, it passed without an issue. I showed the test results to my mechanic and he did say that my CAT is on it's way out. Just happy that it's sorted out... on to concentrating on other stuff that needs attention.

Slim, you're right, I suppose the slightly bigger tires had nothing to do with not passing smog. It's interesting to see that if everything is working well, the stock CAT can last quite a while. My truck now has 289k miles on it.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Slim... ,

You speaking about the AFM(MAF in his I suppose) Ambient Air Temp Sensor(looks like a lil cone in mine) inside of the actual Air Flow Meter?
Yeah man that's what I was referring to. Sorry for the ambiguous terms. I'm still learning about all this stuff

My truck now has 289k miles on it.
I can relate man. I got mine with 242,000 and it's been a learning experience just trying stuff to figure out how to get more power and better MPGs. With that many miles I would suspect that a lot of stuff should be replaced.

It's too bad that after all this I have to sell it
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM

SCToy, congrats on passing smog! I FINALLY went in for my 3rd smog yesterday. Passed with flying colors!! I was watching while the testing was done and was so nervous. After fixing the wire from the upstream O2 to the computer (which wasn't working at all) and there was a wiring issue with the downstream sensor as well. After those two were corrected, it passed without an issue. I showed the test results to my mechanic and he did say that my CAT is on it's way out. Just happy that it's sorted out... on to concentrating on other stuff that needs attention.

Slim, you're right, I suppose the slightly bigger tires had nothing to do with not passing smog. It's interesting to see that if everything is working well, the stock CAT can last quite a while. My truck now has 289k miles on it.
Again, GREAT NEWS, Lankan!

Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSlim
Yeah man that's what I was referring to. Sorry for the ambiguous terms. I'm still learning about all this stuff

I can relate man. I got mine with 242,000 and it's been a learning experience just trying stuff to figure out how to get more power and better MPGs. With that many miles I would suspect that a lot of stuff should be replaced.

It's too bad that after all this I have to sell it
Wow, that sux! I would ask why, .... but I'm sure it's a sore subject to begin with... WHY EXPOUND on it! (Unless you WANT to, of course)

So you replaced the Ambient Temp Sensor and the mileage improved? Not sure where mine is getting wonky in the 'cold weather' dept.... But it seems when it's really cool out(anything under 60*F), it starts to idle higher? I'm guessing it could be that sensor, MAYBE. Either way, I've tested the thing til I'm SICK OF IT! hahaha... But if I can find more details on resistance readings for that in the more in depth AFM testing... I'ma try that out, at least. Hate to slap 70$ down for that and find nothing is REALLY wrong with it, :/ ... NO MORE PARTS TOSSING unless I'm in the middle of nowhere and swapping out a buddies stuff to figure it out! haha.

Sorry you have to sell the Toy, Slim