86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

factory installed lockers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
factory installed lockers???

So a few weeks ago a really nice dude stopped by and said he had the same truck as mine that he needed to get rid of and if I wanted it he only wants $100 but it cant go to the scrap yard. So I went to check it out, 1987 regular cab shortbed 4x4 turbo manual trans 107,000 miles almost zero rust (excpet bed) some body damage. He bought the truck new and said it came with some homologation package? (no idea what that is) and that it also has factory lockers. So I gladly bought the truck and brought it home and sure enough both front and rear have lockers, and I have the original title from toyota and he said he did not install them???
Old 12-21-2016, 03:07 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Well, something is up because the Pickups never came with lockers. The Tacoma TRD was the first model pickup truck with lockers from the factory. What type of locker is it? Auto? E-locker? Air locker? Can you post a picture of what shows it has a locker?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:55 AM

Nothing shows it has a locker but driving it and jacking it up it has lockers. It acts exactly like detroit lockers when jacked up you can kind of feel it ratchet and when driving it bangs into locked and you know right away becuase its dragging a rear tire around corners or very hard to turn in 4wd. Nothing on the front or rear diff looks like it has ever been touched, all bolts look like the day they were installed and no form a gasket anywhere. I will be swapping alot of parts onto my truck or vice versa when I do I will rip the third member out and see what the hell is going on. I also was under the impression they didnt have lockers until much later.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:57 AM

Sounds like an auto locker, Spartan, Grizzly, or the like. Guarantee you Toyota never put one of those in. Also guarantee you they didn't come with any sort of locker from the factory pre-Tacoma. Just because the previous owner claims something doesn't mean you should take that as fact.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:37 AM

I agree and don't really believe anything most people tell me but I do know for a fact that the guy bought the truck brand new and he said it was like that when he bought it from toyota. Just curious. I would almost guarantee its got detroits, I have two other trucks with detroits and my drag car had a detroit and it feels exactly the same, I just have a hard time believing some 75 year old dude lying about putting the lockers in.

Last edited by oldmansimek; 12-21-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 AM

Could be a dealership install I suppose. I'd still place my bet on him holding something back or just being plain wrong. But it doesn't really matter either way. If it works, it works. If you want to know what it has, pull it apart and find out.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know dealers these days (especially GM) will finance almost anything you want into your purchase. Maybe someone wanted the lockers and then backed out last minute. Id tear it apart and see whats in there. Look at the codes. Maybe go to Toyota and see if they can give you some answers about it.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:50 AM

My guess is he had them installed early on and just didnt want to tell me or he just doesnt remember. I have looked everywhere and found nothing on toyota ever factory installing them (stateside at least) espescially in the front.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Go to the dealership with the truck and your VIN number. talk to a service writer and ask them if they could print you out the original build sheet for your truck. ive done this on all 3 of my past rigs. Its always interesting to see what originally came on your trucks. For instance, on my first runner i used this to deduce that the PO bought SR5 Package and EVERY option except for the factory running boards. Worth a shot. Worst case scenario, itll tell you where it was originally sold and you might be able to contact the dealership directly if its still open.