Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Faclutch Hmmmmmn

Old 09-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faclutch Hmmmmmn

Been chasing down a fueIl consumption issue on a 93 V6 mini camper. Nothing wrong, no codes, runs great, plenty of power, no miss, nothing.

I started to suspect the fan clutch not disengaging the way it should, not locked up. but maybe not releasing either. This is tough when you are from the school of the mechanically disinclined and 98% of the stuff online is for overheating issues caused by failed fan clutch.

I detest throwing parts at a problem, but a new fan clutch is much cheaper than a trip to a mechanic who may know less than me..

I pull the old clutch and it is loaded with stress cracks, some all the way through, new one on me! Anyone had a fan clutch blow up??

Don't know if this is the fuel issue have not drove yet.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I might see one crack in your second image, but it is not clear what that image is of??? The plastic fan???

The lines in the first image are casting/molding flaws, and it is likely that a new clutch will look no different.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Pic of a new clutch (22RE), it shows casting/molding flaws also:

and here:
https://22reperformance.com/22re-cooling/fan-clutch
Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd photo is inside of fan clutch. These are not casting marks, some go all the way through and are ozzing silicone
Old 09-03-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
...I detest throwing parts at a problem, but a new fan clutch is much cheaper than a trip to a mechanic who may know less than me..
Same here. My new Aisin fan clutch was reasonably priced.
If oozing silicone, definitely needs a replacement. One of my posts also compares "loose" vs good liquid coupling. "Loose" is the opposite of too tight which could cause low MPG.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:47 AM

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
if your fan clutch is oozing silicone, you wouldn't be wasting money by throwing parts at it if you replace it. maybe i misread the intent of your statement.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
maybe dust/hose it off to show what you are seeing.

outside is dirty as hell. most of the toyota junk I have had over the years shows some sort of flaw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: